Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Ravi,

I think you're looking at the setup guide found on moodeaudio.org which I quote below:

"SETUP INSTRUCTIONS

1. INITIAL SETUP
a) insert sd card
b) connect USB or I2S audio device
c) connect USB storage devices
- Ethernet mode
a) insert ethernet cable
b) power on
c) http://moode"

Step c, as quoted, I believe to be a typo.

In other words, in your browser, on the machine that you are going to use to control the Raspberry Pi running MoOde, you need to type the following:

diyAudio server HTTPS page

The "local" in the above command in the browser causes the browser to look across your network and find the IP address for the Raspberry PI that was assigned by your router.

Hope that helps. Not trying to be Tim Curtis here; but, just trying to help since I know he's off line working on 2.8

Not an error -Tim can resolve 'moode' on its own, but I can't - I need to append .local. But I installed a new network the other day and it resolved without .local, without any changes to the default router config.

We use similar gear - a mix of Apple and PC hardware, with modern routers. I have WinXP - Windows 10, Apple OS from very old to El Capitan plus a bunch of linux boxes and R'Pi's.

The ability to resolve without entering .local is something I will be chasing down and hopefully will be able to develop a wiki-type networking paper that covers all the various networking gotchas we have experienced over the years.

Last edited:
Hey Kent,
Thanks for the detailed reply. Also additional thanks for testing out a quick install of the pi-hole script. I have seen the issue occur before when I tried installing volumio2 and pi-hole together and after struggling for a while I figured I will move into something new. Seeing the issue here as well means I should ideally focus on other things. If I am bored I will play around later to see if things work. Just for my information, what is the ssh username/password?

I tried installing moode on a rpi last night and I like the feel of the software better than volumio so I will prob play around with it more today. I need to get it working with my DAC. I wanted to follow a more DIY approach for the DAC and built it up using schematics I found online on volumio forums. It worked well with volumio but I am not sure what settings I need to get it up for moode. The DAC is based on the PCM5122 IC on a custom IC board. If you have any suggestions for what to try, that would be really great!

Try a HifiBerry DAC+

As to pi-hole, keep the PiB for duty as a general Linux box and your new Pi3 for moode alone.

I've had em all - Volumio, Rune, Kodi, Pi Music Box, Mopidy... on everything from a Pi1 to Pi3, and Moode, while still in development, does a great job. Now, going back to Rune of Volumio is just a bitter disappointment :)

Hi,

I've been working on integrating a set of Advanced I2S audio features as described below. These important improvements in Linux audio are not mainstream yet but with the help of several dedicated inmates they will be available in Moode via a kernel select option :)

- 352.8k and 384k sample rates for es9023 and pcm512x codecs
- Integer bit clock divider for es9023 codec for less jitter on 48K and 96K sample rate
- DSD128 via 352.8k sample rate (either DoP or DSD -> PCM on-the-fly)
- Bypass pcm512x oversampling filter via 384k sample rate

No timing yet on Moode 2.8 but in addition to the nice Advance audio feature, there are significant improvements in networking, auto-resampling based on source rate and various bug fixes.

Going off the grid for a while but will drop in as I am able :)

Regards,
Tim

Thats exciting and I look forward to 2.8!

Would the above likely facilitate/enable DSD playback using pcm512x based DACs such as the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro?

DSD playback is the only thing "missing" from my RPi3/DAC+ Pro combo.

Separate but related to the above, I see that Moode does support the Soekris DAM1021. Any thoughts as to whether the forthcoming Soekris RPi DAC card would theoretically be DSD compatible using a Moode 2.8 kernel select?

Problems with unresponsive player or SD card

1. Thank you for giving music to my life ;-)

I use Moode, on a Raspberry with ext USB sound card, mostly listening to Radio and occasionally MP3 on via FTP

Problem:
Approximately once every month the player will stop playing, while the web interface is showing and changing there is no content (browse or library).
If I try to configure anything I get the following:
Configure->Sources: connection to mpd failed
Configure->MPD: mpd-config: connection to mpd failed
Audio: connection to mpd failed (in a floating window)
Other configuration pages appear to work
Reboot will not solve the problem

Workaround:
I have found that if I take out the SD card and place it in a windows PC, it will firstly tell me that there is a problem with the SD card, and ask me if I wish to solve this, when I answer YES I can extract the SD card and put it back into the Raspberry, and Moode will work again for a month without further.

I would appreciate any help the can lead me to understand the reason for this, I suggest some kind of buffer/temp file filling the SD, but do not know how /where to look for this.

BR

I use Moode, on a Raspberry with ext USB sound card, mostly listening to Radio and occasionally MP3 on via FTP

Problem:
Approximately once every month the player will stop playing, while the web interface is showing and changing there is no content (browse or library).

Workaround:
I have found that if I take out the SD card and place it in a windows PC, it will firstly tell me that there is a problem with the SD card, and ask me if I wish to solve this, when I answer YES I can extract the SD card and put it back into the Raspberry, and Moode will work again for a month without further.

I would appreciate any help the can lead me to understand the reason for this, I suggest some kind of buffer/temp file filling the SD, but do not know how /where to look for this.

BR

Which build of Moode?

It's possible you haven't expanded the SD card after flashing the Moode image.

Configure / System... Scroll down to Maintenance section and "Expand SD Card storage".

Cheers,

Phil

file transfer problem

Hi,

sorry for the (possibly) stupid question but I've been trying to transfer audio files from my computer to my raspberry connected usb disk and nothing works.

Through the windows explorer upload rate is ridiculous (about 50ko/s) and there's no way I can do it via SFTP (using bitvise or putty).

I've been using several different sofwares with the exact same configuration (volumio / rune) and never encoutered this issue.

All I can do is disconnect the drive, connect it to my PC, copy files and put it back ... not really convenient.

Any idea / solution?

Thanks a lot

Etienne

Ravi,

I think you're looking at the setup guide found on moodeaudio.org which I quote below:

"SETUP INSTRUCTIONS

c) http://moode"

Step c, as quoted, I believe to be a typo.

In other words, in your browser, on the machine that you are going to use to control the Raspberry Pi running MoOde, you need to type the following:

"http://moode.local"

The "local" in the above command in the browser causes the browser to look across your network and find the IP address for the Raspberry PI that was assigned by your router.

Hope that helps. Not trying to be Tim Curtis here; but, just trying to help since I know he's off line working on 2.8

for my two RPi2, "http://moode.local" does not work, only correct local ip address work. Anyone know why? (using android tab running chrome)....

Apart from using Android, nothing ;)

The '.local' DNS resolution doesn't work with Android (yet!)

You can fix it two ways - hard code your router's DNS into your phones network settings, or make your moode player a fixed IP and enter that IP into your android browser.

Three ways... buy an iphone :)

How do I hard code router's DNS (TPlink Archer 5 router (192.168.0.1)) into my android phone?

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Ok, I bought a Raspberry PI3 and a HIFIBerry DAC + Pro and couldn't get it to work with wifi. I dropped Tim an email and he said there's a conflict between the on-board wifi/bluetooth of the Raspberry PI3 and the HIFIBerry DAC + Pro and that I should disable the on-board wifi and use a wifi dongle as a work around. I used an Edimax wifi dongle.

I fought it for 3 days; but, got everything working.

So, my brother hears it and wants one for his system.

I buy another Raspberry PI3, HiFiBerry DAC + Pro, and Edimax wifi dongle. All the exact same parts. Set it up the same way - you think I can get it to work? No!

Seems there is now a conflict between the Edimax wifi dongle and HiFiBerry DAC + Pro!!

The Edimax and the DAC + Pro both work on their own individually; but, put them together, and either I can't get it on the network or I can't get the option of an I2S output device when try to configure for the DAC???

Help?

for my two RPi2, "http://moode.local" does not work, only correct local ip address work. Anyone know why? (using android tab running chrome)....

Hi,

Many Android OS implementations don't support multicast DNS (mDNS). mDNS is the network service that resolves the .local domain. Also if your Router doesn't provide dynamic DNS (DHCP updates DNS zone with client hostname) then hostname moode will not resolve. This leaves IP address as the only option.

-Tim

Thanks to Jerms, just tried Fastcopy ... same transfer rate as windows explorer (0.3 file/s !)

What puzzles me is why can't I use SFTP transfer ? Is it a protocol issue?

Again, any suggestion is welcome !

Etienne

OpenSSH is probably not configured to start sftp-server on demand.

Don't ask me more as I'll be trying this stuff out myself later. At the moment, I'm reading from the Ubuntu forums.

Which build of Moode?

It's possible you haven't expanded the SD card after flashing the Moode image.

Configure / System... Scroll down to Maintenance section and "Expand SD Card storage".

Cheers,

Phil

Thank you Phil

Moode build is:
Release: 2.6, 2016-06-07
Platform Informationver: 1.0Linux kernel: 4.4.8+Architecture: ARMv6lMPD version: 0.19.15Hdwr rev: Pi-1B 512MB

No, I did not expand the SD previously (or I cant remember having done so...), thought it was just an option I would not need having all files elsewhere via FTP, is it obligatory ? (must have missed that).

I have now expanded and will see how it behaves.

When I go back into settings/system/maintenance (after the expansion), the "Expand SD" is back on "No", does this indicate that it is not expanded ? how can I check if the expansion took place ?

If systems logs is the course of my problem (growing to much relative to available space) is the any way if either not writing logs or autodelete logs older than x days ?

Thanks again
N

Hi,

sorry for the (possibly) stupid question but I've been trying to transfer audio files from my computer to my raspberry connected usb disk and nothing works.

Through the windows explorer upload rate is ridiculous (about 50ko/s) and there's no way I can do it via SFTP (using bitvise or putty).

I've been using several different sofwares with the exact same configuration (volumio / rune) and never encoutered this issue.

All I can do is disconnect the drive, connect it to my PC, copy files and put it back ... not really convenient.

Any idea / solution?

Thanks a lot

Etienne

Hi Etienne,

Try editing /etc/udisks-glue.conf and change sync to async

-Tim

Problem:

Workaround:

BR

Hi,

It's probably crashed MPD. It happens occasionally. Moode 2.7 has a watchdog monitor that auto-restarts MPD if it detects that its not running.

Start with fresh Moode 2.7 image :)

-Tim

X400 with RPi2

Hi - Gychang
Yes - I bought 3 of these - and use them with Pi Zero, Pi2 and Pi3. All work very well - the power supply from old laptops supplies the DAC/amp board, and that board then powers the Pi (all flavours) without extra power supply. They deliver pretty good sound quality without generating much heat (various reasonable efficient bookshelf speakers). I use them headless, and set the jumpers to allow hardware volume control remotely via android devices through browsers. The 5122 also has the various filter settings to play with that Tim has enabled for us on the set up. There are a lot of suppliers on eBay, and the price varies enormously.... Regards Adrian

Hi - Gychang
Yes - I bought 3 of these - and use them with Pi Zero, Pi2 and Pi3. All work very well - the power supply from old laptops supplies the DAC/amp board, and that board then powers the Pi (all flavours) without extra power supply. They deliver pretty good sound quality without generating much heat (various reasonable efficient bookshelf speakers). I use them headless, and set the jumpers to allow hardware volume control remotely via android devices through browsers. The 5122 also has the various filter settings to play with that Tim has enabled for us on the set up. There are a lot of suppliers on eBay, and the price varies enormously.... Regards Adrian

thanks for the info.