Volumio (ex RaspyFi) Audiophile Music Player for embedded systems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm using the 3.5mm line out. Kind of hard to tell from the pic.

Attachments

• 20140627_094227.jpg
    20140627_094227.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 608
@Michelangelo

I've been looking (remote-ssh) at a Volumio Cubitruck installation yesterday.

Resources are scarce.

Some improvement proposals:

It would be very nice if there'd be a setup option on your Web interface to turn off Samba and minidlna (at least).
Basically, make all services except MPD "optional".

Beside that it would be very nice to have an option to configure a static IP
instead of default DHCP.

Beside that I realized that even the most basic tools (e.g. vi) and the sunxi/CT specific tools bin2fex/fex2bin are not on the image.
There's plenty of space left ion the SD card, IMO no reason to not having those tools on the SD card.

Cheers

I'm not Michelangelo but when i loaded volumio+wolfson DAC system on my 64 gig cd card, i created a partition for the system and a new partition for music. i wasn't too worried about space but did find a small image at M3m3nto's box. I currently running a bloated one (since it works). I need to buy another sd card and try the smaller image.

I'm using putty to rlogin into the RP and believe i have vi. you can always apt-get what is missing.

Hi there.

Thx for the advise.

I'm building my own Debian based images for CT from scratch. I pretty well understand how to install, compile, write and tune stuff myself.
I'm promoting Linux and communicating Linux tweaks over here @ DIYA since 2007. ;)
I also started with MPD around 2007. You still find my old (and potenially outdated) write-ups in the old DIY-A Wiki section I'd guess.

And as I said I'm not running Volumio myself.
There's too much overhead built-in, it lacks certain tunings and the sample rate converter is useless (@ least on the CT - low quality SRC is causing >50% load).

(And MPD never sounded better then squeezelite from my perspective. )

Michelangelo tries hard to "sell" his stuff as "A True Listening Experience" and "Audiophile Quality" and best of all "A revolutionary Audiophile Music Player"(cited from his website). Yep. MPD - very revolutionary. What has he been smoking?

From my experience it won't work if you try to meet everybody's expectations/demands/requirements by introducing all kind of services to your product. This is why I said earlier all services should be made optional.

Michelangelo is offering a nice, good sounding and working platform with plenty of - to me optional - features built-in. And that's about it. It takes more to be called
Audiophile and "Revolutionary" from my perspective. But. Audiophile is a relative term.
Let's leave it like that. I think he's doing a great job (if I don't think about his typical audio industry marketing terms) offering his stuff to the community free of charge.

Cheers

Last edited:
soundcheck, if you find a similar pi+wolfson audiophile quality kernel, I'd be happy to try it.

while i'm not new to unix (using it since the 80s), this is my first pi and just recently built my first linux box (upgraded an xp). I do run cygwin on all my windoz boxes.

i'm not tied to any gui, i just googled and found volumio.

soundcheck, if you find a similar pi+wolfson audiophile quality kernel, I'd be happy to try it.

while i'm not new to unix (using it since the 80s), this is my first pi and just recently built my first linux box (upgraded an xp). I do run cygwin on all my windoz boxes.

i'm not tied to any gui, i just googled and found volumio.

With almost half a century of Linux experience, you might try to build your own kernel. ;)

What do you mean with "Wolfson"?

If you'd run a Cubitruck there is a nice Debian project that supplies a script
which builds a complete SD-image, including kernel compilation, from scratch. You can slightly tweak that script for your own purposes.
It's a no-brainer to get MPD installed on that image.

I guess Michelangelo has also been using this script as input for his own CT project.

I can't help with RPI anymore.

soundcheck said:
Michelangelo applied several of the known audio related optimizations to his image. However. It can be done slightly better.

I'm really interested in knowing what you would improve. I tried other stuff which is not implemented, like tuning MPD priority, advanced kernel scheduling and IRQs but this led to some drawbacks so decided not to include 'em.
The problem here is that you can fine tune a system for a given echosystem (your home router, your NAS, your DAC etc), but this will not always work when you'll have to distribute something that needs to work well in thousands of different configurations. My ultimate goal will be implementing some alghorithm that will understand how your setup is and react to try to find the best compromise without you touching bash. Of course we'll need to establish what results are to be considered as "ideal", but this is another story.
I know there is plenty (relatively speaking) of room for improvement, and I would really like to discuss about those with you.

soundcheck said:
A database based system like the LMS is much faster, when it comes to the overall handling - especially on large databases.

In my opinion Db handling is MPD major flaw. Too obscure and slow IMHO.

soundcheck said:
Volumio does provide a pretty convenient way to get things going without in-depth Linux knowledge. Michelangelo has done a great job at this point.

Thank you. This is where my major effort has gone.

soundcheck said:
It would be very nice if there'd be a setup option on your Web interface to turn off Samba and minidlna (at least).
Basically, make all services except MPD "optional".

I started doing that with Airplay and UPNP. Doing so also for samba and minidlna sounds a great idea. Not so much people using it.

soundcheck said:
Beside that it would be very nice to have an option to configure a static IP
instead of default DHCP.

There is already, just go to network, then go static.

soundcheck said:
Beside that I realized that even the most basic tools (e.g. vi) and the sunxi/CT specific tools bin2fex/fex2bin are not on the image.
There's plenty of space left ion the SD card, IMO no reason to not having those tools on the SD card.

I'd increase the default image & partition size to 4GB.
You are running the partition pretty much on the edge.

Not really a fan of vi (prefer NANO all the way) and good hint to inlcude fex2bin, didn't know about them (quite new to allwinner platforms). As for the SD, an uncompressed image of 1.8gig is easier to handle in terms of unzipping and storage... I will include an option to fill the entire SD Card (doing it at first run could lead users to think their ct is not working properly due to slow boot time).

soundcheck said:
Michelangelo tries hard to "sell" his stuff as "A True Listening Experience" and "Audiophile Quality" and best of all "A revolutionary Audiophile Music Player"(cited from his website). Yep. MPD - very revolutionary. What has he been smoking?

Lucky Stricke, a packet per day. As you pointed out the whole story about Volumio is the simplicity of having a pre configured system which will work in almost all situations. This will suit beginners and average users.
The revolutionary thing is that you can have a more than decent set up with inexpensive devices, in 10 minutes and you don't pay a buck. That's it.
Remember Cmp2 systems? Or even SB2? They don't fit that. And setting up an mpd server with reasonable quality is a quite challenging task.
What makes Volumio (and comparable systems) revolutionary is that they offer a new and integrated experience, not relying on noisy and hard to tweak PCs.
When me and you are talking, we know how to build good sounding stuff. We know how to dig into PSUs, kernels, resamplings etc. The average Joe doesn't. So what's the purpose of all that knowledge if not everybody can enjoy it??? This is the main goal about Volumio: something that everybody can enjoy, tweaked, convenient and open to experiments and mods.
That being said, MPD is a pillar of the Volumio experience, not the whole point of it.

soundcheck said:
From my experience it won't work if you try to meet everybody's expectations/demands/requirements by introducing all kind of services to your product. This is why I said earlier all services should be made optional.
Agree. I am not including all features I've been asked to. But of course making the system more complete, one step at a time, is a reasonable goal and will make Volumio better, after all.

soundcheck said:
I guess Michelangelo has also been using this script as input for his own CT project.
Yes, this page and distro were a good starting point for me to understand CT.

soundcheck said:
You might want to manually test your "sched_*" kernel tuneables for the Cubitruck.
I think there's a problem with your kernel.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

BTW, I'm happy to discuss with you about these matters, respect you and enjoy a lot your blog. Appreciate fact checking without the typical audiophile fuss.

mikelangeloz,Have you considered a Realtime Kernels such as http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/real_time_info
I don't think RT Kernel is beneficial in music playback. It seems to me a myth, quite frankly. I can see it useful in music production (when low latencies are crucial for musician's coordination). But not in playback, where most attention has to be paid to reduce jitter (stochastic, so unpredictable and unrecoverable) and underruns (nothing to do with latencies whatsoever...).
Back in RaspyFi's days I was hoping to run a RT kernel on PI cause this seemed a solution to mitigate the well known USB BUS issues. Having a RT kernel could have resulted in less packed dropouts.
IMHO more than a RT kernel what makes the difference are properly tuned alsa settings and priorities. I am not even sure if Core affinities (dedicating a core just to mpd while leaving others for base system) could produce audible effects. I'm investigating now...

SD-card still not working in Read only mode, no support for Wolfson Audio Card...but useless Spotify Premium Support.

There are no real Improvemnets in this Update.
Perhaps it would be better to stop the battle against Rune Audio and do some real work.

Give more hints about how Volumio is being build and there is much more Community Support...

Regards

SD-card still not working in Read only mode, no support for Wolfson Audio Card...but useless Spotify Premium Support.

There are no real Improvemnets in this Update.
Perhaps it would be better to stop the battle against Rune Audio and do some real work.

Give more hints about how Volumio is being build and there is much more Community Support...

Regards

-SD Card in read only mode has some advantages but brings lots of problems in current system setup. I plan to introduce it, but this requires a rework of some functions.

-I will include Wolfson Audio Card support when this will be included in mainline kernel.

-What makes you think there's a battle goin on?

-Agree on giving more insights about how Volumio is made. But I prefer to spend my time developing than writing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.