Volumio (ex RaspyFi) Audiophile Music Player for embedded systems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been playing around with my rPi for a few days. Playback is fine. The web ui goes unresponsive on my iphone after a few mins. Refreshing the page get it right back. Might be the phone? The library page ui on the phone is very cramped, I'll try my iPads and laptop later.

Otherwise it's great! Thank you for such excellent FREE software!!

Kyle

I've been playing around with my rPi for a few days. Playback is fine. The web ui goes unresponsive on my iphone after a few mins. Refreshing the page get it right back. Might be the phone? The library page ui on the phone is very cramped, I'll try my iPads and laptop later.

Otherwise it's great! Thank you for such excellent FREE software!!

Kyle

Kyle, you can update the WebUI. I fixed some issues.
To do that (note you'll loose your preferences...)

Code:
cd /home/volumio
sh webuiupdate.sh

Reboot, and hit ctrl+f5 to clear browser cache. Let me know

Guys, I have been looking for network streamer option, to replace sb duet. I am hardcore user of deezer (spotify), so as I understood, I need to run LMS server on device with ability to add deezer option. Wandboard project with OS based around LMS on slimdevices forum seems to hit the wall with some sort of problems.
I d appreciate suggestions, where to go next? I need basic functions- spotify/deezer and some own flac files storage, ideally controlled remotely.
Volumio seems to be close enough, but which platform to run it wirh ?

How do you think, how differ SQ between squeezelite vs volumio? There seems to be no measurements whatsoever among any of those software systems ?

Hi.

It's not Volumio vs. squeezelite.
It's MPD vs. LMS+Squeezelite.
Volumio is just the framework which includes certain OS and application optimizations.

Volumio also comes with a server part. That's why IMO LMS should also be
added to Squeezelite to do a relevant comparision.

We've been comparing Volumio with MPD and my own Debian Image/kernel and optimizations running LMS 7.9 and latest Squeezelite (Volumio is using the same Debian platform). I've been using a Cubitruck ARM board.

Bottom lime. There are differences. It's not day and night though.
These differences might depend on the optimizations applied to your OS.
It needs quite some optimizations on a standard Debian+LMS+Squeezelite installation to pass Volumio by in terms of soundquality.
Michelangelo applied several of the known audio related optimizations to his image. However. It can be done slightly better.

What I don't like about MPD are the available rather "lightweight" user interfaces.
I do prefer the LMS user interfaces (iPeng-iOS/Orange Squeeze-Android). Beside that there are also playback apps in iOS and Android for LMS.
MPD needs a webserver for the albumarts.
A database based system like the LMS is much faster, when it comes to the overall handling - especially on large databases.
My squeezelite+LMS installation runs at slightly lower CPU utilization.
The squeezelite resampling option is IMO the better one.

Altogether I do prefer the LMS famework. But that's a matter of taste and expectations.

Volumio does provide a pretty convenient way to get things going without in-depth Linux knowledge. Michelangelo has done a great job at this point.

Bottom line. With both setups you can end up in the top streaming league at close to no cost.
IMO much better then any Windows or OSX based system. And even better
and much more flexibel then big-$ commercial streaming systems.

Talking about flexibility. The nice thing is. You just either insert your SD card with the LMS framework or you just insert a Volumio SD card. It won't take longer then a reboot to run either of these setups.

Hint: You shouldn't forget to use a highest quality power supply for your ARM board.

Good luck.

Cheers

I ve sold my duet squeezebox.
Before buying more powerful cubietruck I ve opted for Rpi due to better choice of software.
You ve posted responce I hoped to see, thank you.
Btw I could not find any evidence so far better psu improves things.
Would you please share link or knowledge in regards of power management?

How do you think, how differ SQ between squeezelite vs volumio? There seems to be no measurements whatsoever among any of those software systems ?

Hi vox.

As soundcheck puts it - take your pick:) Which ever you feel most comfortable with. They both uses the same technologies as base so where would the differencies be? On the visuals of course.

As I started out with LMS and Squeezebox Touch I have stayed in that box.
Tried a bit of MPD and Raspyfi but never found it to better what I had so...

Regards

Talking about flexibility. The nice thing is. You just either insert your SD card with the LMS framework or you just insert a Volumio SD card. It won't take longer then a reboot to run either of these setups.

This is one of the reasons why Raspberry Pi is so cool. I really think one should pick the hardware and try as many different audio systems as possible.

We all have great systems. Tubes, SS, great speakers, ... streaming flac to my garage system (Stromberg Carlson+Klipsch) or to my main rig (maggies and hafler) is really nice.

I haven't tried this on my living room system (fisher, ADS) but I plan to take it to a buddies OTL+Vandies for fun.

We used to haul SACD players, turntables, and even amps. Now I just bring over a RP and beer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.