Volumio (ex RaspyFi) Audiophile Music Player for embedded systems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@fab you can give a look at the excellent article from Toni in Volumio's forum:
ES9018K2M-based streaming solution : Diy Volumio Projects
(which I assume is tigger here...)

@jbruziti UDOO requires a slightly complicated setup to obtain i2s signal.
First step is recompile the kernel to enable i2s output (disabling some Arduino's pins of UDOO). This is already done is Volumio's custom UDOO kernel.
Second part is having a working i2s driver for your specific DAC.
Personally I would not blame the manufacturer for not supplying drivers. The exact same situation happened with the Raspberry PI: the community developed drivers (especially vendors making drivers for their commercial DACs).
Since there are quite a lot of IMX6 based devices out there (UDOO's SOC), I am confident that someone will port the i2s drivers as well.
Finally, I'm sorry that the specifications provided on Volumio misguided you, but I won't sell it. IMHO UDOO is the best sounding board of the ones I tried (guess careful board layout = less crosstalk).

@phofman Agree with your points. Linux is way far to be considered an easy peasy OS for whatever reason. My goal is make it simpler, and user friendly (and this takes loooooot of work). Some of Volumio users were total linux noobs when they started using it. Now they are having fun discovering what's wrong and they are starting to have a decent linux knowledge. That's an achievement!

Anyway, for those of you waiting on updates for Cubox-i, UDOO, Cubietruck and others now they are available:

Audiophile Music Player for Cubox-i, Cubietruck, UDOO

cheers!

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Es9018K2M

ThAnks Toni and mikelangeloz !
I will entually buy this Dac but I will need help in modifying the pie volumio setup...the only thing I do is to copy image file to flash card....

At this moment I have succeeded to connect the pie B+ in I2S to an Ak4399 board from Audiophonics selecting tHe Hifiiberry amp I2S driver in Volumio...
I do not know if this driver is optimal though but it was the only one that works.....I know however that it sounds dynamic and detailed.
I had to add a board running 22.5792 MHz clock on master signal to get this AK4399 board to work. The only drawback is that it only plays correctly the 44.1KHz recordings with that clock...

Looking forward to comparing with ES9018K2M....
Fab

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for the Cubox-i Volumio v 1.5. I have been waiting a long long time for that...
Once install everything seems ok at first glance except is does not recognize my PCM2706 USB converter on my dac board. This dac board works fine with UDOO or the pie.
The only audio output shown are:
imxspdif
imxhdmisoc

What should I do to fix that?
Thanks
Fab

No, unfortunately. Didn't include since I don't have time to properly test it.
Do you have any link to share? I'll take a look at it...

You are probably already knew this! Botic driver for BBB is Debian base and with upmpdcli would be somewhat less challenging to incorporate into Volumio?

The diy link: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/258254-support-botic-linux-driver.html
Miero page: http://bbb.ieero.com

Would be great if you could come up with something for BBB camp.

@mikelangeloz
I'm very interested how does Cubietruck performs comparing with an Udoo? Am I correct, that Volumio do support i2s outputs on Cubietrux?

I prefer not to comment on performance on AQ since it's mostly subjective. I can just tell you that I measured UDOO and other IMX6 platform (with a Audio Precision gear) and they do perform quite good. IMHO IMX6 is a very good platform soundwise, even if most of the outcome is determined by board layout.

One thing I compare is I\O and general usability. Cubietruck features more I\Os useful in an audio appliance. Plus i2s is integrated (even if I didn't have feedback about it, nor tried it) in Volumio for Cubie.
UDOO features an interesting amount of options for high end DIY such as lots of GPIOs and LVDS touch screen connector.

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
When I boot the BBB using volumio v1.5 I and connect to the IP address assigns by my router I obtain only a link to a web page stating "Connected Your board is connected!
BeagleBone Black rev 000C S/N 4214BBBK2843 running BoneScript 0.2.4 at 192.168.1.21" but noting more. I have tried to maintain the button close to the uSD card fir more than 20 and even 30 seconds but I never obtain the volumio page....

Any idea?
Fab

...the excellent article from Toni in Volumio's forum: ES9018K2M-based streaming solution : Diy Volumio Projects[/QUOTE said:
Actually, ES9018k2m is a great candidate for a RPi (or BBB) high-end DAC expansion board: great specifications, small footprint, can work without MCLK (?) and in voltage mode (?), only 40mW consumption and design for mobile use means the power supply must be somehow viable relatively simplistic and compact. I am sure it could fit to the small RPi board. Who has the datasheet on hand and dares to design it? I am talking to ESS representative to get the datasheet under NDA but no answer yet...

Mike

"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you will have it!"

Hi Vulejov,

May i suggest you look into MPD configuration for SACD iso support. Volumio is an excellent piece of software but the engine behind the music playback is MPD. Volumio acts as the client (with a tweaked OS) to drive MPD. As this is a playback item, i'd suggest looking at how MPD is configured.

Music Player Daemon • View topic - SACD ISO playback in MPD (helpful)
Music Player Daemon • View topic - MPD supports SACD-ISO's? (meh)

you'll either have to recompile MPD or edit the mpd.conf file, but i suspect the former.

You could go to command prompt and type "mpd -V" to see how mpd is setup and go from there.

As for DSD playback, it does support it. you might need to edit the mpd.conf file to allow DoP etc. Once again, i'd suggust looking at the documentation behind mpd.

cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.