Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

I was thinking along the lines of a Dell Venue 11 Pro with an external DAC and HD.

The Dell supposedly gets about 10 hrs on a single charge and has an option to swop batteries.

Oh! and another thing... Do you have any pics of your DHT headphone amp?

Seems like the Dell can run linux, but has some issues, like wifi
Dell Venue 11 Pro (Tablet PC, 10,8" Intel Atom Z3770, 2,4GHz, 2GB RAM, 64GB HDD) | Linux Hardware Guide.com

I'm not sure what version of linux Daphile uses. Depending on that, it might work but it seems iffy.

That same site has other tablets that might work better
Tablets | Linux Hardware Guide.com

My 300b headphone amp project has stalled, but I am trying to restart it soon. Decided to make wood cases for it, and that has taken a while.

EDIT
Something else I just thought of. Daphile wants to be headless, controlled by another device. On my PC, when Daphile boots up, there is no way to control Daphile/squeeze server from that PC, from what I have seen.

Randy

no one with a mobile system?

My current main system is based on Jetway barebone:
JETWAY JBC362F36W-2600-B
I equipped it with 2GB RAM and Samsung 840 EVO 1TB.

Completely silent - no fans or spinning parts.

PROS:
- WLAN (ath9k) supports AP mode. Actually it can even operate concurrently as client and AP on same channel (Daphile supports this).
- 2 Ethernet ports
- with DVI-to-HDMI adapter (and latest private Daphile version) I get HDMI audio (only 2CHs of course)
- good BIOS options
- small
- Suspend to RAM works fine

CONS:
- case is pretty warm
- no external SPDIF
- no USB3 ports
- WLAN is 2.4GHz only (no dual band at 5GHz)

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Cogitech,

Would you kindly confirm whether you are using a CM6631 or a CM6631A based usb to spdif converter.

I have a generic LJM CM6631A usb to spdif purchased on ebay, which when use with Firmware 0101 PID 0×0319 is automatically detected and outputs spdif when used with volumio on the Raspberry Pi.

However, the same LJM CM6631A unit although detected by Daphile as High Speed USB2 hardware does not appear to output any signal through spdif.

If , I may enquire, what is the firmware that is flashed on your unit.

You may check the firmware by using the flash update tool found in the CM6631 Firmware 2203 package VID 0x0D8C PID 0x0309 on Windows XP which may be downloaded from http://www.nutsaudio.com/driver/CM6631_Firmware.zip

Full particulars of the firmware(s) and the update tools are to be found at
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/217764-cm6631-usb-audio-interface-any-good-22.html at post no #221

I would very much like to solve this problem and to use the LJM CM6631A unit with my external dacs when playing with Daphile.

I believe that the first step to solving the problem would be to identify the firmware that works with Daphile.

Incidentally as an aside, and for your information why I am somewhat curious as to the firmware used; the LJM CM6631A unit when shipped came with Firmware 0108 PID 0×0314 . This firmware 0108 PID 0×0314 worked in Windows and was able to output an spdif signal but did not work in volumio which is based on debian linux.

It was only after I flashed the firmware to 0101 PID 0×0319 that the unit worked in Volumio. Nonetheless neither 0101 PID 0×0319 nor 0108 PID 0×0314 works with Daphile .

Thanks in advance. Hope to receive a response from you.

Sorry for the delay. I wasn't ignoring you. :)

Mine is a 6631A, AFAIK. It works equally well (USB Audio v2.0) in Daphile, Ubuntu and Mint.

Unfortunately I only run Linux machines at home, and my work PC is Windows 7. Do you think I would have any luck with those utilities running in Windows XP in a virtual machine? I could try that...

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
EDIT
Something else I just thought of. Daphile wants to be headless, controlled by another device. On my PC, when Daphile boots up, there is no way to control Daphile/squeeze server from that PC, from what I have seen.

Randy

Exactly. Daphile is a headless back end.

Makes sense to use a tablet for the front end, but it also only makes sense to get a tablet that can run one of the excellent front-end apps, like Orange Squeeze or Logitech SqueezeBox Controller. To use a Windows-based tablet for this will force you to use the Daphile web-GUI for everything, which is not ideal. Fine for configuring Daphile, but for day-to-day control purposes, the dedicated apps are much better.

I found an Asus EeePC in mint condition on my local buy and sell website for $75. It runs Daphile without a hitch, it is quiet, it is tiny, and it uses next to no power.

I have a problem with ripping and wondered if it is me alone.

Daphile is configured to rip to FLAC 8 and is on autostart and eject when finished. It is now not autostarting or ejecting when done. I now have to manually start the rip and click on eject when ripping is finished.

Anyone the same or similar?

Abs

Sorry for the delay. I wasn't ignoring you. :)

Mine is a 6631A, AFAIK. It works equally well (USB Audio v2.0) in Daphile, Ubuntu and Mint.

Unfortunately I only run Linux machines at home, and my work PC is Windows 7. Do you think I would have any luck with those utilities running in Windows XP in a virtual machine? I could try that...

Cogitech,

Just to keep you guys informed. I solved the problem when tinkering with the unit this week.

I was able to create a new firmware with the firmware tool for the CM6631 which was posted at post #453 at http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/217764-cm6631-usb-audio-interface-any-good-46.html

Having created the new firmware, I flashed the CM6631A usb to spdif and was able to use the unit on both Daphile as well as Rasberry Pi. The new firmware I generated also outputs spdif and I2S signals.

I havent as yet tried the unit in windows as I do not see any need to do so.

I understand that the tool also works in Windows 7 and XP.

See posts #473 and #475 at http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/217764-cm6631-usb-audio-interface-any-good-48.html

In any event, I hope that the sharing of my experience, may assist others facing the same problem.

Thanks

mllum

Hi Kipeta,

I'm currently assembling an audio streamer with a dddac 1794, using a luckit waveio as usb source. Daphile is running on an intel celeron NUC board. Works like a charm, but with one strange issue:

Normally the luckit waveio board is able to sense the bitrate of the incoming usb signal and display the bitrate through a series of leds. With other software on the NUC this works fine, with Daphile not... The waveio board simply wont show the bitrate,. Any idea why this is? A setting somewhere? Again this only happens when using Daphile as player.

I've been playing this setup during the last two weeks:

- easy installation, reasonably foolproof
- great sound quality, beats my heavily modded Transporter on detail and musicality without being harsh, equal to Jriver/Jplay which i use as reference (in my system!)
- integrated seamless with my LMS environment i have running, using the duet receiver / ipad as controller for the system
- not using wifi and rip functionality so can't comment on this
- would love to be able to see the current bitrate of the file playing in the web gui or via the waveio interface (or did i miss this setting somewhere?)

Thanks for this great product!!

Sander

Hi Kipeta,

I'm currently assembling an audio streamer with a dddac 1794, using a luckit waveio as usb source. Daphile is running on an intel celeron NUC board. Works like a charm, but with one strange issue:

Normally the luckit waveio board is able to sense the bitrate of the incoming usb signal and display the bitrate through a series of leds. With other software on the NUC this works fine, with Daphile not... The waveio board simply wont show the bitrate,. Any idea why this is? A setting somewhere? Again this only happens when using Daphile as player.

I've been playing this setup during the last two weeks:

- easy installation, reasonably foolproof
- great sound quality, beats my heavily modded Transporter on detail and musicality without being harsh, equal to Jriver/Jplay which i use as reference (in my system!)
- integrated seamless with my LMS environment i have running, using the duet receiver / ipad as controller for the system
- not using wifi and rip functionality so can't comment on this
- would love to be able to see the current bitrate of the file playing in the web gui or via the waveio interface (or did i miss this setting somewhere?)

Thanks for this great product!!

Sander

Do you have Daphile installed on HD or USB pen drive?

I faced similar issue with Matrix X-Sabre DAC and Daphile installed on USB pen drive.

This problem has gone away since I moved Daphile to internal mSATA drive. I also disabled all unused USB interfaces on BIOS and fine tuned ALSA buffer time and period count values.

Everything is rock-solid since then.

Hi Kipeta,
Congratulations on such superb software and such a sustained developement...!

I was an early tester (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-b...ile-music-server-player-os-2.html#post3585036) but due to hardware constraints needed something with local administration.
I used Mpdpup for some time though it has not been maintained for a while now.
Recently I acquired a laptop with a kaput screen but found that it was otherwise working. So I removed the screen.
'What shall I do with this ?' said I then remembered Daphile.
Long story short..Installed Daphile and it is purrr-fect!!

@ Stereolab

Thanks for your input. I have Daphile running from a usb stick, not from a sata drive. Also have not disabled the other usb ports, so will try this tonight. How did you you fine tune the ALSA buffer time and count values? And why?

After many weeks of tweaking and testing, I have found the most reliable values as follows: Buffer time = 80 and Period count = 8

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l629/sedest/Daphile/daphile-1405-b220905-x86_64_zpsece72ea6.png

I learned elsewhere that larger buffers should do better, but with my renderer and specific DAC, this tight values offered the most stable scenario.

Please make sure to use Daphile latest public version (14.05-b220905), there are some important fixes for USB handling.

Hi Mllum,

How did you exactly create the firmware> Can you let me know in more detail?

Thanks

Sorry for late reply as I dont check the posts here very often.

If I recall correctly, the instructions are in a pdf file included in the download. The instructions are fairly easy to follow. Just tick the required parameters and run the software. The firmware will then be generated.

Thanks

JDG

Need some enlightenment..... I have a recent Daphile install working flawlessly connected to my main router/modem and accessed either from another pc or via Squeezebox logitec app on android.

What I want to do is have the Daphile pc independent of the home internet connection and controlled by the Android phone only.

I have connected (one at a time :) )several modem/routers and wireless access points via an ethernet cable to the Daphile pc and, while I can access all of them from the smartphone the app reports "No player found"
I must be missing a configuration step somewhere...
Is there something I need to configure for Daphile to see the device...

ABuffer time = 80 and Period count = 8

I learned elsewhere that larger buffers should do better, but with my renderer and specific DAC, this tight values offered the most stable scenario.

Actually buffer time 80ms and period time 10 ms (10 x 8 = 80) is a rather standard value, perhaps even higher than average. Tight values are in single milliseconds range for buffer time. Your values should be pretty safe.