Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Following from yesterdays post I have found the configuration page and entered the wifi details so can connect from Android phone. :)

Kipeta, for your information and possible modification for future releases...

If, on the first ever boot of Daphile, you don't press F1 for initial settings but allow it to boot and then install it you can run it headless and networked.

It is controllable from the network BUT unless you reboot with screen attached there seems to be no option to configure wifi from within the normal interface.
So getting other controllers to work is not transparent.
Without knowing the F1 access leads to the wifi configuration this becomes self defeating.
The documentation assumes a wifi enabled device such as a laptop or dongle and doesn't cover set-up for an ethernet attached wifi capable modem.

I am trying to set up my Pogoplug as a file server.

Last night, I got Samba running on the plug, and had a external drive with a bunch of music on it connected the the plug.

I added the drive as cifs type. I had to change Samba to accept guests, and once I did that and got rid of the user and password fields, Daphile "connected" to the music directory. Both Daphile and the plug thought they were connected, but when I scanned no music showed up.

Any thoughts about how to fix this?

BTW, if I take the same external drive, and plug it directly into the Daphile PC, then Daphile sees the music and plays it fine.

Thanks
Randy

New release on June 28th

CHANGES:
  • DRM/KMS graphics drivers enabled. Could help on HDMI audio.
  • Firewire support for Mytek DAC fixed (DoP does not work)
  • DSDIFF scanning fixes.
  • ALSA buffer time and period count defaults changed
  • Kernel upgrade to the latest stable version 3.15.2
  • Some package updates, other minor changes and bug fixes
Update via your Daphile web UI or download from www.daphile.com.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed!

Daphile on VMware Fusion

Hello,
Just installed Daphile on Fusion running on Mavericks, so far so good, it recognizes my SB transporter and Duets and connects seamlessly to mysqueezebox.com. I even have IPAD control working no problem.

I however cannot get it to connect to a Mac OSX share(all my music is here) that is available via smb/cifs. Any tips from any one out there?

Second, How does one get VMware tools installed on Daphile so I can mount drives attached to OSX to the VMware guest that is Daphile. It would be nice if there was access to the CLI, even if by SSH.

Any insight is much appreciated. You have done well so far and please keep up the good work.

Hello,
Just installed Daphile on Fusion running on Mavericks, so far so good, it recognizes my SB transporter and Duets and connects seamlessly to mysqueezebox.com. I even have IPAD control working no problem.

I however cannot get it to connect to a Mac OSX share(all my music is here) that is available via smb/cifs. Any tips from any one out there?

Second, How does one get VMware tools installed on Daphile so I can mount drives attached to OSX to the VMware guest that is Daphile. It would be nice if there was access to the CLI, even if by SSH.

Any insight is much appreciated. You have done well so far and please keep up the good work.

Have you seen this?
Daphile storage wiki

What is the format you are trying to use for the share?

I have seen the wiki. What sure what you mean by format. I am using this
"username@host_ip:/sharedfolder/"

I have verified the folder is accessible from other OSX and Windows hosts via smb.

That's what I meant by format.

That looks right.
Is it password protected?

To get it working initially, I turned off the password, but once I got connected I put a password back in, and it worked fine.

One thing I just remembered.
My samba server is running on a pogoplug. I had trouble getting Daphile to connect to it, so I tried connecting to it with my macbook, and had some trouble there too. When I did some research for the mac, and saw people were having issues with Mac and samba because apple wrote their own samba code. I think my problem turned out to be a samba setup issue, but maybe your's is because of apples's samba code?

Randy

Last edited:
I have issues with new update.

Daphile sometimes doesn't connect to my Wifi network, but, when it does it losses connection with it after a few minutes. I've updated to the latest version just yesterday, so, it has to do something with the new changes. Maybe KMS driver? Screen blanking?

Anyone else with the same problem?

Thanks

Daphile is a debian linux distribution with some extra gui software for audio playback and basic configuration.

Please search google for solving problems of debian with your specific wifi disconnecting. Or post here your specific hw/wifi model info, we can troubleshoot together. But in any case you will have to use the linux command line (either remotely via ssh or directly on your daphile machine).

Daphile is not an apple iphone system supported on strictly defined hardware only. Everyone uses a different hardware and there is no way for this distribution to support everything perfectly out of the box. If it was the case, it would constitute and ideal universal plug-and-play system. There is no such thing in real world and hardly will ever be. Problems happen and in most cases can be fixed easily. But a problem-free system running on universal hardware is unrealistic.

My Wifi USB adapter is TP-Link TL-WN722N. I worked great until last update. So, it has to be something with the last update.

When I turn on my PC everything is good and normal, but just for about 5-10 minutes. After that, connection is lost. I'm using Daphile a few months now and I never had any problems with it so far. So, again, it has to be connected with the latest update somehow.

Later today, I'll send netmgr log to Kipeta, so hopefuly we can figure this out.

My Wifi USB adapter is TP-Link TL-WN722N. I worked great until last update. So, it has to be something with the last update.

Last upgrade = upgrading debian packages, upgrading linux kernel + firmware (i.e. your wifi driver). Your question regards standard linux functionality, it has nothing to do with the GUI layer daphile adds.

Look how many people experience the disconnect problem with TP-link usb sticks in linux

https://www.google.cz/search?q=linu...nnel=fflb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=FdezU6DxL8eH8QeSmoDIDw

E.g. here 11.10 - TP-LINK TL-WN821N automatically disconnects - Ask Ubuntu they suggest a few fixes - using a different module, disabling the N band, or upgrading the driver to latest version (which very likely daphile does not use).

For any of the solutions you will have to use the command line interface. If you are OK with it, we can proceed. Or if kipeta agrees he can issue a new version with your driver upgraded it could perhaps fix your problem. But much better help for him would be if you troubleshooted first and found the solution for your HW combination.