Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Could be wireless router signal is not reaching the daphile server wireless adapter.

If u get the 192.168.128.1 address, you could try to change your browsing devices ip to 192.168.128.2. Connect to the daphile server as a hotspot and change your settings from inside daphile's settings.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I've been bugging vdi_nenna a lot lately with dumb questions and thought that this question begged a larger audience (and I wanted to give him a break). I need to add backup capability to my Daphile-based music server system and am looking to purchase a relatively inexpensive NAS drive. Western Digital's My Cloud devices appear to fit the bill (I am considering their 3TB model, WDBCTL0030HWT) but according to both their website and the technical support person I spoke with, Western Digital cannot confirm that the device will reliably communicate with a Daphile server.

Let me be clear about my environment: my intention is to use a Windows-based pc or a Mac pc to instruct whatever NAS device I have to back up music stored on a drive in my Daphile-based music server. Western Digital's tech said they cannot confirm their products will reliably work with Linux servers, including Daphile.

Is Western Digital wrong? Is anyone using a WD My Cloud device successfully with Daphile? If not, does anyone have a reasonably-priced alternative to recommend? The current price for the three terabyte WDBCTL0030HWT model is about $140 (US).

Thanks in advance for your counsel.

Regards,
Scott

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Sorry, I have to chime in anyway. :D

Daphile, WD NAS and your Mac can all understand NTFS file system.

In Daphile, open Storage settings and check off the Music Library to share it. Save and reboot if needed.

Connect the WD NAS to your Mac or Win machine with a USB cable first and once found by the OS, go to Windows Explorer or Finder in Mac. Note I don't have a Mac, but should be easy to find how to format a drive to NTFS. probably have t use something like dd app or commands(disk destroyer).

If using Windows, open Windows Explorer, right click the WD NAS and format. Choose NTFS as the file system. Select Format. Be absolutely sure you are choosing the NAS drive before formatting.

Setup your WD NAS as told by the WD instructions. Set a static IP if possible so that it's always the same. Next connect it with an Ethernet cable to the network, if not done so already. Finish the setup instructions...whatever they may be. I say this because I don't know if setup will take place over Ethernet cable to network or over USB connected directly to a computer.

From any Windows machine on you LAN, open Windows Explorer and in the URL panel, enter \\IP_Address_of Daphile and hit enter. Folders should appear, hopefully the Music Library will be one of them.

From a second Win Explorer window, this time enter the \\IP_address_of_WD_NAS. If a blank window open or only System type folder, that OK. So long as there are no errors.

In Mac use Finder, enter either smb://IP_of_Daphile or CIFS://IP_of_Daphile. You might have to use the tool bar to Search for Servers or something like that. I'm not sure which connection type (SMB or CIFS) will work, but try SMB first. See if your library is listed.

You are trying to copy your library from Daphile to the NAS. Copy and Paste really.

It's possible the tech at WD did not want to commit to saying WD NAS doesn't support NFS or other Linux/Unix/BSD file systems. If your drive is formatted in NTFS, Daphile, Mac and Windows will find it. So it's not relevant.

No NAS is perfect. Will be hard to find a less expensive and comprehensive solution than the WD NAS. I looked. You just want a secondary location for your music files, you could do worse, e.i., not have one at all.

Hope this helps.

Vince

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Please note that the WD NAS will most likely be already formatted in NTFS since NTFS handles large disk sizes and FAT does not.

In Windows, if u can't find the plugged in USB NAS drive, right click Computer icon on desktop or from Start button and right click it and select Manage. In the widows that opens find Disk Management on left side. In there you should see the NAS drive with a drive letter, if not this the place to set up the drive and/or format it. Too much typing to explain how to set up an unformatted drive in this tool. But like I said, it's probably already set as NTFS.

The WD My Cloud is a regular debian system Hacking My Cloud The data partitions are formatted with linux ext4 filesystem. Western Digital My Cloud EX2 Review & Rating | PCMag.com Count Chu: Reveal File System of WD My Cloud

The clients are accessing over net using a network filesystem, the actual drive filesystem is not important as it is shielded from the network client. People report success with CIFS (i.e. windows network filesystem) https://community.wd.com/t/smb-cifs-configuration/98810

I second phofman.
The file system on the NAS is unimportant because it is network access. I use FreeNAS (which uses ZFS) and it works seamlessly once Daphile Storage option is configured. I use cifs with line;
cifs://192.168.0.27:/music

If you want to know the IP range and available addresses, download Fing to your phone (on a real phone - Android). Fing will tell you the IP address of the router and all other IP attached devices.

Typically, the IP address is 192.168.x.1 to 192.168.x.254 where x is normally 0 or 1 but can be up to 254. It might also be 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.254 or similar. you will probably see the other devices in the lower ranges though some printers can be up the range.

If you do not want to have problems with the remote control app (I use Squeezer), configure a static IP address for Daphile.
For the range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254, this is typically;

192.168.0.1 (the lowest number will be the router)
192.168.0.1 (the router can be used as DNS Server)

Leave Search Domains and MTU blank. Workgroup is usually WORKGROUP.

If that doesn't work, take a note of what you entered, what FING showed, and ask again. Switch back to DHCP in the interim.

Daphile and Gustard X20u

Just to confirm I can upsample all music to DSD256 native with the 6.07 version of Daphile. This works great with all input files including 16bit and DSF. However, when I play 24bit files I get a lot of background noise. The noise is worse if I set DSD128 native. The noise disappears if I set DSD128 DOP. Is this an issue with my PC or is it an issues with Daphile? I am using a dual core Intel Pentium G4400 and the 'system load' as shown on the Info screen rarely exceeds 1.0 when playing DSD256 native.

Just to confirm I can upsample all music to DSD256 native with the 6.07 version of Daphile. This works great with all input files including 16bit and DSF. However, when I play 24bit files I get a lot of background noise. The noise is worse if I set DSD128 native. The noise disappears if I set DSD128 DOP. Is this an issue with my PC or is it an issues with Daphile? I am using a dual core Intel Pentium G4400 and the 'system load' as shown on the Info screen rarely exceeds 1.0 when playing DSD256 native.

I've just been informed ...

The noise problem on PCM-to-DSD conversion with native DSD mode is a
(recently) known problem. It seems it happens if the original track has
sample rate other than 44.1kHz or 88.2kHz, those two rates do not seem
to have noise. And DoP mode does not have the same problem.

Could be wireless router signal is not reaching the daphile server wireless adapter.

If u get the 192.168.128.1 address, you could try to change your browsing devices ip to 192.168.128.2. Connect to the daphile server as a hotspot and change your settings from inside daphile's settings.

I tried that but it doesn't want to connect either and times out. I have plenty of signal reaching it. It's a new and expensive USB 3.0 wifi adapter attached through an expensive USB 3 hub. I don't know I'm thinking it's to new or something and daphile isn't caught up on support for it or something. For some reason it doesn't like something in my system or the way it's set up. All the gear works fine in windows.

Unless someone has a hail mary I think I'm about done with this thing. I'm thinking it might not work with my Yggdrasil DAC anyway. It's pretty dang high end and very new. Probably not mainstream enough to support.

I tried that but it doesn't want to connect either and times out. I have plenty of signal reaching it. It's a new and expensive USB 3.0 wifi adapter attached through an expensive USB 3 hub. I don't know I'm thinking it's to new or something and daphile isn't caught up on support for it or something. For some reason it doesn't like something in my system or the way it's set up. All the gear works fine in windows.

Unless someone has a hail mary I think I'm about done with this thing. I'm thinking it might not work with my Yggdrasil DAC anyway. It's pretty dang high end and very new. Probably not mainstream enough to support.

Don't give up. Once operational daphile is very rewarding with lots of configuration settings and very low maintenance.

Try connecting the WiFi adapter to a USB 2 port?

I've just been informed ...

The noise problem on PCM-to-DSD conversion with native DSD mode is a
(recently) known problem. It seems it happens if the original track has
sample rate other than 44.1kHz or 88.2kHz, those two rates do not seem
to have noise. And DoP mode does not have the same problem.

Just to let you know I have received an update and their is a BIG improvement although some noise is still present. The Gustard X20u really comes alive. And for those of you who are interested in such things, the DSD256 upsampling load on my paltry G4400 intel processor is 50%. I was thinking I might have to upgrade to an i3 or even an i5.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
...The Gustard X20u really comes alive. And for those of you who are interested in such things, the DSD256 upsampling load on my paltry G4400 intel processor is 50%. I was thinking I might have to upgrade to an i3 or even an i5.

Funny you should mention the i5. I just changed back from 1 core to 2 cores in the BIOS.
The system couldn't keep up with DSD256. Now it's playing OK. Screenshot while playing DSD256.

Also heard the X20. Nice dac. Have you heard about the mods for it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-09-22-21-01-02.png
    Screenshot_2016-09-22-21-01-02.png
    389.9 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
Funny you should mention the i5. I just changed back from 1 core to 2 cores in the BIOS.
The system couldn't keep up with DSD256. Now it's playing OK. Screenshot while playing DSD256.

Also heard the X20. Nice dac. Have you heard about the mods for it?

Yes, I'm well aware of the mods. All I have done is removed the transformer bolts and twisted the mains lead. I don't have the soldering skills for the rest. My speakers are magneplaner 1.7 which probably are not as sensitive as headphones re the nuances attributed to the other more active mods. But I am delighted with Daphile and the dsd256 upsampling. I no longer need the U12. Re the upsampling I have moved from a notebook (HP 8440p with i7 620m) which seem to struggle to a PC with skylake g84400. The latter seems a lot more capable. The 8440p is averaging 0.9 on the system load (2.0 would be 100% utilisation). I would think Windows 10 or even 2012 and foobar or hqplayer would be a lot more demanding. Yet another tick in the box for daphile.

Last edited: