Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

I'm looking at building a high quality fanless silent music server using daphile based on a mini itx mobo with m.2 ssd, 4tb of storage and capable of dsd 256 up sampling. Itx gives me flexibility re the inclusion of a pcie usb card. What is the recommended CPU? I have tried an Intel g4400 which runs 50%. Should I consider a dual core 4 thread i3 6100. Would an i5 or i7 add any value other than cost? Why do windows music audiophiles insist on an i7? Would a nuc with external USB drive be much of a compromise? What about a second hand notebook as a dedicated server?

I'm looking at building a high quality fanless silent music server using daphile based on a mini itx mobo with m.2 ssd, 4tb of storage and capable of dsd 256 up sampling.

I've really never understood the point about DSD upsampling, as the only advantage of upsamplng is if you do digital filtering, and DSD doesn't really lend itself to that (unless you convert to PCM and back).

Why do windows music audiophiles insist on an i7?
Good question, as slower processors usually imply less electrical noise. I guess it is because of the need for spare capacity just to deal with the extremely non-realtime (or really user interface-optimized) nature of Windows.

I tried to install Daphile the night before from a USB drive to my main PC. The only other device I have is my phone for set up. When I put in the IP it just keeps timing out. I tried a few of those other addresses to in the instructions just in case. Any ideas or do I have to somehow find another device to use? I don't have anything else. Just an old android phone. I guess I can't install it then if there is no way around this.

I tried to install Daphile the night before from a USB drive to my main PC. The only other device I have is my phone for set up. When I put in the IP it just keeps timing out. I tried a few of those other addresses to in the instructions just in case. Any ideas or do I have to somehow find another device to use? I don't have anything else. Just an old android phone. I guess I can't install it then if there is no way around this.

So, the PC and Phone are both on the same network. What browser are you using on the phone? In the browser are you using http://<ip address>? Have you tried //Daphile? Have you loaded Feng to the phone (assuming its android) and see if you can confirm the Daphile network instance?

Joined 2000
Paid Member
V1001, what IP do you see on your monitor connected to the daphile server? Is daphile server wire connected to your network?

If using wireless adaptor on daphile server and you see 192.168.128.1, this means your daphile sever is not connected to your wireless network and is trying to act as a wireless hotspot.

V1001, what IP do you see on your monitor connected to the daphile server? Is daphile server wire connected to your network?

If using wireless adaptor on daphile server and you see 192.168.128.1, this means your daphile sever is not connected to your wireless network and is trying to act as a wireless hotspot.

Yeah I'm seeing that IP address. How do I change that to get it to work right then?

I'll try that fing too. No idea what browser I'm using, the stock one on android. I typed the entire address with http and everything. But tried it with just the numbers too, it adds the http automatically anyway

Yeah I'm seeing that IP address. How do I change that to get it to work right then?

I'll try that fing too. No idea what browser I'm using, the stock one on android. I typed the entire address with http and everything. But tried it with just the numbers too, it adds the http automatically anyway

Looks like you have not entered the correct wireless SSID and password. You can update this in two ways - either do a fresh install of Daphile from the USB stick and hit F1 to process an initial configuration including SSID and password; or connect daphile to your network using a wired connection, attach a screen to the daphile computer and note the ip address that is displayed when daphile is started. If you do not have a screen then use the FING app on android phone to detect the attached devices. You can then load the ip address to a browser on an attached network device (phone, tablet, pc) and to set the daphile wifi SSID and password.

I redid it and it's still giving me the same IP and hotspot.

So the first line I just put in my SSID, then the second line is my password right? I did that correctly.

Then do I want to set up a static ip? I said no. Was that wrong?

I want to install it on the USB drive so I keep the drive in right and don't format any drives correct?

I don't get why the instructions left out this entire part, it just skips right over it.

I redid it and it's still giving me the same IP and hotspot.

So the first line I just put in my SSID, then the second line is my password right? I did that correctly.

Then do I want to set up a static ip? I said no. Was that wrong?

I want to install it on the USB drive so I keep the drive in right and don't format any drives correct?

I don't get why the instructions left out this entire part, it just skips right over it.

It's been a while since I did a fresh install of Daphile but section 6 in the installation manual does say ...
The final target installation is made using the web interface of Daphile once the computer is started using the Daphile installation media. You must use another web browser enabled device to access Daphile web interface and complete the installation there.

But first you need to be able to access your Daphile USB install from a web browser. Note that once Daphile is loaded to memory then you can remove the USB install stick; however it will need to be loaded if you wish to of a restart.

I experienced a similar issue to you when trying to talk someone through a daphile setup remotely over the telephone. Turned out he had incorrectly entered the ssid. Make sure your SSID and password are as used for your network - case sensitive. Can you do an initial install using a wired DHCP install? You should then be able to access daphile from a browser and make any required changes.,​

Right I did see that part. I meant it skips over the entire instructions for the initial set up part. So It doesn't say if I'm supposed to take the USB out now and then put it back in later or just leave it in during this part. I assume you take it out only when installing to a hard drive and that is why the screen tells you to remove the USB drive. But they kind of leave you guessing. I know later you have to have it in though and use it as the target. But yeah I can't even get to that part yet. Anyway I'll just leave it in then, seems to make sense but I just wanted to know for sure since it's not working.

There is no way to get a wire up here. I'm on the 3rd floor and the router and cable are on the 2nd floor. If I had a giant wire I would.

I'll try my 5ghz channel instead and see if that works better for some reason.

The 5ghz will be no different from the 2.4ghz. The issue is in detecting the wireless network. You only need a wired connection for the initial setup and to confirm the fact you have a wireless connection. Once you have a wired connection and have loaded the daphile session in a remote browser (eg. phone or tablet) then you can input the daphile wireless settings and verify you can 'see' the wireless network(s).

It's a different SSID and password though so I thought it was worth a shot since the other one wasn't working.

I don't have any way to get a wire up here at all unless I go buy like a 100 foot wire. And I'm not at the point where I'd want to take my PC all apart and move it down there.

I took a photo. Also I have a usb wireless adapter, perhaps that's a problem? I mean it's supposed to have drivers but it seems it can't be loading them since they can't be installed on this thing or anything.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.