Software that can "restore" some dynamics from overly compressed recordings? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2012, 04:56 PM   #11
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Yarrrrr it's called a dynamic range expander.
Old 14th December 2012, 10:36 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsrsb View Post
The Audacity effect is "clip fix"
Donald Fagens previous release Morph The Cat is bass heavy too, but not muffled.
Yeah, its less bad, but not anywhere near "The Nightfly", a record that is 30 years old now.

The problem with "Sunken Condos" is not clipping, but too much track compression and very strange EQ.

I tried a little EQ on it, and just a little lift at the top end, and 4-5 shelf below 100 Hz helped a lot actually.
Old 20th December 2012, 10:18 AM   #13
Koenjer is offline Koenjer  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default declipper

Heard it, and it works quite ok on old recorded stuff.

Perfect Declipper demo: Ending the loudness war - YouTube
Old 23rd December 2012, 03:40 PM   #14
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

my favourite player, xxhighend, has a feature "peak extender" which I use and i think improves the sound in regards to dynamics.

If you find a foobar plugin that does a similar thing, please post it.
Old 23rd December 2012, 03:56 PM   #15
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Ditto on "Perfect Declipper". It can help, but isn't a cure all when the mix is heavily layered and compressed at each step.
Old 23rd December 2012, 05:19 PM   #16
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Ditto on "Perfect Declipper". It can help, but isn't a cure all when the mix is heavily layered and compressed at each step.
Exactly the latest reaction for the studios is to compress the crap out of each track then mix without much compression keeping the final mix level lower and they think they've answered the cries to end the loudness wars.
Old 5th January 2013, 08:16 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Audio De-Mastering in the Time of The Loudness War

Hi all...

Here you can see what I did after the last months. Another kind of DIY project.
It will present you a way to deal with (some) overloud music productions.
You will be shown several very useful, free software/programs to help you find out some "sound tweak".

The Music Disease

Also you may have a look in the Clipping and Loudness Database, were I started to put up analyses of a few albums.
You will also find an example, which in the end became quite a long story for the Lana del Rey disc.

I hope you like it,...

ven
Old 7th January 2013, 09:42 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Agreed, the loudness wars have made so I pretty much don't buy new music any more.

My daughter got me 2 CD's for Christmas that she thought I would like. We all were very disappointed with the CD's. Non-changing wall of noise is being kind. You can hear that the artists have some great talent, but the production process makes the recordings un-listenable.

I've been looking for a long time for a VST based dynamic range expander but have not found one yet...

There is still a link at the Gersic.com free plugin database for a multi band expander that looks like it was modeled after the old DBX dynamic range expanders. Unfortunately the developers site is gone.
Old 7th January 2013, 10:25 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

At least you are able to measure recordings with this program and how about demanding
companies to publish graphs?

See if I can find the article from an English Hifi magazine where the author claimed (supported by some research) that excesses in using compression is coming from a false assumption about our hearing, i.e. reality is contrary to many technicans beliefs! Would education help in this respect?

MasVis - Ljudtekniska Sällskapet
Old 8th January 2013, 04:20 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

GaryP
Quote:
I've been looking for a long time for a VST based dynamic range expander but have not found one yet...
read my link, there you will get "IT", for free! (and then maybe drop us a line, what you are planning to do with it, that would be nice! I like your McCoy-ish page btw.)

The golden mean
Quote:
the article from an English Hifi magazine where the author claimed (supported by some research) that excesses in using compression is coming from a false assumption about our hearing
Yes, I would be interested in that...

Have a nice day!
ven (who also has a Christmas sampler, being one of the worst sounding discs EVER ;-)

Last edited by venomizer; 8th January 2013 at 04:41 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!