Software that can "restore" some dynamics from overly compressed recordings?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Another angle to this; older music that has been released repeatedly.

I have often heard it said that the older or original CD releases sound much better because they were mastered before the Loudness War began.

My question is; Is there a database somewhere that has this information? If I wanted to find out which version of a CD has the most dynamic range and/or least clipping and compression, is there a place I can find that information?

"Loudness War" indeed. Like any war. Everyone loses except the rich.

long time not postet anything here... well... finally I made a YouTube video, too... LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7p-iVkL_mU

You can see my hard work, for "correcting" what they screwed up @ Metropolis Mastering... poor sweet Lana disc... Did what I could ;-)

ALL THE BEST you tweakers !

Felix (btw, does anyone know where the JRGuitarGuy went?... miss him :))

Last edited:
Sorry about reviving old threads, but the loudness wars are still ongoing, and sometimes one has that specific itch that requires the purchase of new music.

I've been trying out some plugins from Terry West: Terry West Productions

His Relife plugin actually seems to work, I've tried it on some overly compressed and limiter abused drum'n'bass, and it really does sound better, and the occassional flat peaks seem to be gone. He asks for a small donation for which you get as many of his plugins as you like. A bit cheaper than Perfect Declipper at least.

IMHO the best sounding solution is still Perfect Declipper/Stereotool.

The VST plugin apart declipping also has an effect called Natural Dynamics which tries to restore percussion's dynamics.

With most songs it works pretty well but some limiters do so much damage that not much can be done.

If interested I can share my results, it's 2 years I'm playIng with it.

Interesting Topic etc

Try this & see what you think.

BoostX

New Features: Extended range to +9.5db, 64bit internal precision, internal dither

What is BoostX?

BoostX is a completely transparent upward-compressor, also known as parallel compression, based on the Non-Linear Sample Remapping technology developed for LimitX™.

As a bonus, BoostX also provides limiting!

What is Upward Compression? While traditional (downward) compressors reduce the volume of levels over a certain threshold, Upward Compressors increase low levels while not increasing the high levels. The simplest way to think of it is that downward compressors push down on the signal from above. Upward compressors push the signal up from below, so the softer parts get louder without affecting the loud parts. To most people's ears, this sounds much more natural than downward compression.

Bill Wall's DIRECT APPROACH - BoostX? VST Plugin

I wouldn't call it "completely transparent" but as always it probably depends on the source material, & how near to 0dB it is, & how much you boost !

Whilst you're there check out this, also a VST Plugin & free, but donations also welcome !

LimitX

VST Limiter Pluginfor Windows 32 bit only

Mixing and Mastering Tools by Bill Wall

Transparent limiting. Zero Latency! Low CPU usage. Always 64 bit internal precision.

Be interested to hear your impressions etc on either/both ?

Seems to me boostx does nothing for already compressed music, other than compress it more, there might be some slight benefit from using this after preparing files with other things. The only setting you can adjust is the gain, which has the function of... gain adjustment.

This plugin may have some benefit as an alternative to regular compressors for mastering, but it's still a compressor and I really do not see much advantage to using this vs just using a soft/proper setting on any other compressor. It adjusts the low level signals but one could argue that low level signals are low for a reason, and possible reasons would probably be either intentional adjustment or noise.

The way I see it Relife is the poor mans solution, and can actually produce good results when used together with other plugins.

Perfect Declipper/Stereotool is a more proper way to go, but I would not spend 30€ on a plugin that makes noise on random. For me this would be a tool for making batch conversions of lossless music, optimizing settings for each batch, also possibly just enabling it occassionally on some radio and/or video. And 100€ is a bit much, I think the creator of this would earn a lot more selling the plugin for maybe 70€.

I used to use Waves plugins to do this just for experimentation.

I forget the exact plugin i used but there is an expandor or something with a preset called UNCOMPRESSOR.

It would redraw the peaks.

If you tested it with a source recording then clipped it and uncompressed it the original looked identical to the uncompressed one.

In all honesty though i don't think it changes the sound at all. In my tests clipping the audio and keeping it with peaks you can't tell a difference with an ABX test and the two are level matched.

Redrawing the peaks should sound about the same in my experience.

With anything like this when comparing things you MUST perceptually level match the two you are comparing or you might think you are hearing something that is simply just an increase in volume.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.