Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2013, 10:35 PM   #261
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

I see, is something wrong with my previous measurements... I should remove that pictures, but is too late...
Old 22nd March 2013, 07:49 AM   #262
Corvus5 is offline Corvus5  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
OK. I have disabled "Wave" and enabled/default "Line in" before measurements. Loop in between output - Line in. I could see that Line in were active (level meter worked). I will verify again.
When uplugged you should see only noise level of the ADC when calibrating RMAA. When plugged but the DAC is not playing you will see the noise of DAC - a few dB louder in my case. You may see something like -60dB or quieter. When playing you should keep the volume high but not too much: the sound easily gets distorted at some level. I/V opamps gave me ~ -3dB through the stock resistors in the final stage and RCA output. When using TPA6120 I get the -8.8dB. Making the volume higher will distort the signal. The option is to slightly lower the feedback at the I/V stage to match the volumes. Compare the results with different cards.

Quote:
I have finished now the battery powered oscillator. A big increase in quality. The fidelity is just exceptional, but the most impressive now is the sound stage. It gets more depth and both the instruments and voices are very well separated in space. The speakers are just transparent. The sound is in the room and fill it. Very impressive!
The depth and transparency is what changes the most. Sound becomes more thin and clean. May sound like a loudness curve for some people, but it's something more. A lot of new sound details are now always present, but some still change. The tcxo I use really makes a mess to the PSU line. Change the line and the next becomes messed up. Lot of filtering. External battery is an option. I find the tcxo to be much, much more sensitive to the power supply quality than the opamps.

Tens (or hundreds) of new caps will arrive soon. Another cap was blown away, wrong polarity ;-)
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:26 AM   #263
diyAudio Member

I have took a closer look to my measurement environments. It looks like my Line in on the card is quite dead... Maybe it happen something with the IN stage of the board in those mod processes. I do not care about this aspect as I do not use that option anymore. Only problem is with the measurements now...
If I will find a way, I will try to measure again... I concentrate my self now to finish this last mod. I have experienced before that slow variation of the battery (discharging) tension it have no influence on the quality of the sound. It looks like the oscillator support quite well such power variation (in the specified limits). Exciting to see how Crystech will react at this "treatment". If will be no problem, then the mod will pass the test... Anyway the card deliver now the best sound ever.
Old 22nd March 2013, 01:35 PM   #264
diyAudio Member

Default How is your XO connected?

Corvus5:
How exactly do you have your XO connected to the decoder?

I.e., did you remove the two stock SMD caps (in the pic. below, you can see them below the stock X1 crystal, on either side of the SMD resistor--the caps are white)?
Click the image to open in full size.
In almost every aftermarket tutorial I've seen, those caps are removed. Reason: the orig. (stock) is a crystal that needs external bypassing/filtering; whilst aftermarket is an oscillator (Vanguard) or clock (Burson, Audio-gd, TentLabs, etc.), and these have their own "built-in" caps.
Old 22nd March 2013, 01:43 PM   #265
diyAudio Member

Yes, I've done the battery trick before on an separate D/A processor (Musical Fidelity) -- and it did make a slight improvement. A diff. approach: the Less-Loss D/A uses batt. pwr in the analog section.

I think this PS "strategy" risky in a PC card due to my aforementioned criticism. But others guinea-pigging this mod is ok. Lesson will be learned EITHER way. Hope your PC stays safe in the long run, Coris.
Old 22nd March 2013, 08:33 PM   #266
diyAudio Member

My PC it were and is always safe and it run just fine, with a top notch modded Xonar inside, and an ultra high fidelity outputted sound...
Old 23rd March 2013, 02:15 AM   #267
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My PC it were and is always safe and it run just fine, with a top notch modded Xonar inside, and an ultra high fidelity outputted sound...
"Just fine"?
So I guess your line IN problem from earlier is fixed?
Quote:
Maybe it happen something with the IN stage of the board in those mod processes. I do not care about this aspect as I do not use that option anymore.
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:21 PM   #268
diyAudio Member

The Line IN problem in my sound card it have nothing to do with the PC as system. I never used Line In stage, I did not even known that is not working, I do not need it, and I don't care about that.
The mods on the board refer to the DAC stage and the analogue stage of the board, and this stage function just wonderful. My recording system is based on digital processing, and it use something else (inputs) than the analogue input or SPDIF on the sound card.

BTW, I could not see at least one picture of an your functioning mod on this board or another device?

Last edited by Coris; 23rd March 2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:41 PM   #269
diyAudio Member

Coris or Corvus5:
Your response to #264 is, as of now, of most interest to me. But reply as necessary, of course.
Old 23rd March 2013, 01:10 PM   #270
Corvus5 is offline Corvus5  Poland
diyAudio Member

I tried to take a picture but it's hard to see. The old quartz was removed along with the pads. Clock V input gets the 5V, ground from the eeprom ground, output to the XTALI of the CMI before the capacitor. Placing it after the capacitor made the sound worse.

I already tried different ground, took the 5V from the on board 7805. Right now I use my own 7805 only for the clock with dedicated filtering with only capacitors. The input voltage for the 7805 comes from the onboard 7812 output.

The clock output goes to the CMI XTALI, the CMI sends it to the CS2000, then the CS2000 sends new clock to the PCM1792 (and probably ADC if dedicated). It's really hard to the take the picture, but I may it another aproach. Connections are not visible, some are hidden behind the non trasparent glue.

Hide this!Advertise here!