F4 power amplifier

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
lykkedk said:
:) Thank's'... I will tell once more, that the Babelfish are capable of driving my loudspeakers till there half (not loud enough for me) Will the Balanced F4 be better suited (I see, that my former quistion could be misunderstud) :smash:

I understood you about half........ ;)
and I think that balanced F4 will beat your spks ,comparing with Babelfish.
anyway-it will be easier if you say what spks you have ;
balanced (that's bridged) will give you theoretically 4 times power of just one simple F4 channel.........under few conditions.......in real world that ratio can be even greater than 3

Zen Mod said:

steen,I'll soon have pair of Sonido's,so I can pass my experiences to you; if memory serves me well........searching now.......http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/sear...by=lastpost&sortorder=descending&pagenumber=1
with honest approach-there is no need to two drivers cost you arm and leg.......

to achieve dynamics even with sensitive speakers you either need big horn or OB with bass augmentation.........or good 12"-15" coax in big box.........
anyway,except in case with OB+ 15" bass,anything bellow 8" is just a toy.......thinking of degree of compromise

if you live in small japanese (or serbian :devilr: ) room ,there is some purpose in small driver....but if you live (listen) in something bigger room.......
Thanks, it would be nice to hear what you think of them:)
Right now the F4 along with the Abby's are in a small listeningroom at about 13-14 m2. In there, the system does pretty good. Seemingly not missing much bottomend. The main impression is transparency and precision, still having a very pleasant soundsignature. Sweet!

Will the Balanced F4 be better suited

I am sure a pair of F4's in a balanced setup (100 watt's!) will be powerfull enough. You might even get away with using the BosoZ as preamp, if using it balanced, since you get the full voltage swing in balanced mode. I only tried the BosoZ with singleended output, and that didnt quite make it. If the 100watt's isnt enough, you really ought to look into some other speakers:D

Steen:)

My spks are Audiovector 4 with 8 ohm's input.

There ain't much information on the net about them, but i can tell you, that my leachamp 4.5 (2x125watt/8ohm) drive them nice and loud. The reason i lent the babelfish, was to hear how much they could drive them, and that's about half way i think.

EDIT : you posted steenoe, while i was writing my last post :)

Yes Magura, I know that there is an issue with this. :xeye: Anyway, i think i will have to try it out anyway. :wiz: If the case is, that the F4's arent capable of driving my 'bears' to the max... I really have to consider some other speakers, but that are in the future sometimes (One does not work so fast with diy)

lykkedk said:
My spks are Audiovector 4 with 8 ohm's input.

There ain't much information on the net about them....

AUDIOVECTOR 4

Freq Responce: 30Hz - 20KHz +/-2dB
Imp: 8 ohm Nominal, dips not lower than 5.5 ohm
91.5dB/1w ~ 96dB = 3.5W
Recomended Amplifier 30W - 200W
Distortion less than 1 %, 30Hz - 500Hz
Distortion less than 0.2 % 500Hz - 20KHz
Dimention: H 110 x W 46 x D 40 (cm)

All units FOCAL's modified by Audiovector of Denmark.

Actually an pretty neutral speaker.

3 way and Bi Amping/wire possible.

Picture of AUDIOVECTOR 4

Attachments

• audiovector 4.jpg
    audiovector 4.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,405
lykkedk,

My old Musical Fidelity A1 could play them pretty loud...and thats not an especially strong amp.

So without question, i think the F4 should be more than okay to drive them. Reason, i'm pretty sure the F4 is much more stable when driving that load than my old A1.

And then you can bridge the F4 for even more juice :angel:

Only problem is something to drive the F4's to the max...

Perhaps Mr. Nelson Pass could give birth ( :D ) in the near future to an Pre that will do just that :rolleyes:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nelson Pass said:

That hasn't been my experience, but then I get mine from
Jon Ver Halen at Lowther America, and he certainly stands
behind his products.

:cool:

sorry Papa.......my bad........I just forgot to mention that (to my knowledge) there are at least 3 distributors with long history in post-selection......Mau in DE,another guy in DE (I know....dementia) and -certainly- Halen in US...and certainly also Ivanek in HR (Hornet Hedlund......also author of "nastyuglylousy I'llnevertakethatinmylifeevenforfree" horn named "Veliki" (in our language that's "Biggie".....))

anyway.....there are few things in finishing (and I think on functional,not cosmetic thingies) which are long known for Lowthers;
that's pity, because I just adore that spks......

mebbe is problem in me ; I'm used to things I love are long lasting,primary from technological qualities in first place..........

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
analogair said:
lykkedk,

My old Musical Fidelity A1 could play them pretty loud...and thats not an especially strong amp.

So without question, i think the F4 should be more than okay to drive them. Reason, i'm pretty sure the F4 is much more stable when driving that load than my old A1.

And then you can bridge the F4 for even more juice :angel:

Only problem is something to drive the F4's to the max...

Perhaps Mr. Nelson Pass could give birth ( :D ) in the near future to an Pre that will do just that :rolleyes:

there must be some problem with that pre in ykkedk's system.......at least I know that -with my spks with 94db/W/m I can take my pants off with ECL82 SE .....and that's ~2w........

or that spks are no good.... :devilr: