F4 power amplifier - Page 98 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2007, 06:42 PM   #971
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GRollins

Ooops! My mistake. That's not a dingus, that's a whatsit.

Grey
wait, hold the BOMs! I just noticed that there is a 0.4% and a 0.5% version. Anyone know which sounds better? The most expensive TO92 one I can find is the Microsemi-IPG TL431BCLP that is a 0.4%, anyone know if this might add a bit of prat compared to the cheaper Zetex ZTL431BCSTZ?

:bs:
Old 30th July 2007, 06:44 PM   #972
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Babowana

What is dingus while I could guess what the whatshit is . . . ?

I think something got lost in the translation there
Old 31st July 2007, 10:14 AM   #973
diyAudio Member

Question F4 versus F1

I would be interested to learn about the difference in sound between the F4 and the F1 if any of you have had the opportunity to compare them

Kind regards
Old 31st July 2007, 10:34 AM   #974
cviller is offline cviller  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I would be interested to learn about the difference in sound between the F4 and the F1 if any of you have had the opportunity to compare them
If you had read the thread you would know that "some guy" from Lowther-America has compared them already. It is pointless to keep asking questions already answered in this thread - it is too long already!
Old 31st July 2007, 03:47 PM   #975
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cviller

If you had read the thread you would know that...
It is pointless to keep asking questions already answered in this thread - it is too long already!

This is the point at which the Aleph-X thread transitioned from technical discussion to space-filling. Ironic, but predictable. People are too lazy to read, so they ask questions that have already been answered, thereby making the thread even longer, which made it even more intimidating for those who didn't want to read all that went before, so they asked the same question, thereby making the thread even longer...
Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased the circuit was received as well as it was, but human nature will eventually reveal itself.

Grey
Old 31st July 2007, 07:06 PM   #976
diyAudio Member

Thanks, GRollins

Two questions about the F4 ...

(1) what is the C3/R25 and C4/R24 network? At first glance, it looks to be power supply filtering downstream of R5 and R22. However, what is the function of R24 and R25? Altering the values don't seem to change frequency response much, nor the distortion spectra.

(2) is a servo loop (crude attempt attached) desirable? Or is a little bit of offset actually good? How much does the DC offset drift during warmup of a cold amplifier?

I spent some time simulating the F4 and it is pure genius. According to simulation (which isn't perfect, but usually tells the general truth), the distortion spectra is carefully contained in very low harmonics, almost fully concentrated on the even-order harmonics. The distortion-to-power relationship is pretty dramatic (i.e. distortion increases with increasing output voltage). All considered, quite an amazing design.

As soon as I clear some other projects, I'm certainly going to solder a F4 together, without a doubt. (my wife already thinks there are too many amps in the basement, why not add a couple more?)

Image attached: F4 with (crude) DC servo loop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f4.jpg (58.5 KB, 1008 views)
Old 31st July 2007, 07:26 PM   #977
diyAudio Member

I don't have a schematic handy to answer the question about the caps. I'll try to look at it later.
Why do you feel that a DC servo is necessary? It's a power follower, pure and simple. The main difference between the F4 and other follower designs you may have seen is that the F4 incorporates a driver stage. It's a pretty stable circuit. Adding a servo strikes me as a rather arbitrary addition to the circuit.

Grey
Old 31st July 2007, 07:44 PM   #978
The one and only

Quote:
Originally posted by Kashmire
(1) what is the C3/R25 and C4/R24 network? At first glance, it looks to be power supply filtering downstream of R5 and R22. However, what is the function of R24 and R25? Altering the values don't seem to change frequency response much, nor the distortion spectra.

(2) is a servo loop (crude attempt attached) desirable? Or is a little bit of offset actually good? How much does the DC offset drift during warmup of a cold amplifier?
C3/R25 and C4/R24 are bootstrap networks for the front end.
They slightly improved the maximum output and bandwidth, but
their primary purpose is to protect the JFETs from over-voltage.

Old 31st July 2007, 07:52 PM   #979
diyAudio Member

DC servo to null the output DC offset due to potentiometer drift, natural changes during the warmup phase, etc. Just a consideration. I'm not familiar enough with solid-state push-pull (all of my prior push-pull projects are tubed) to be comfortable with direct coupled and a little DC offset. Tube gear isn't direct coupled and doesn't have DC offset; it's an unfamiliar byproduct of solid state that a DC servo can correct for. I see many highly-regard push-pull designs (Borbely, D’Agostino, Levinson) use servo loops, although Pass certainly falls into the upper echelon of highly-regarded designers.
Old 31st July 2007, 08:40 PM   #980
diyAudio Member

How would you implement a servo when there is no voltage gain in the circuit?

Hide this!Advertise here!