F4 power amplifier

blown fuse

Hi guys,

i've just blown the fuse (2A slow) on the primary trafo windings.

I can swear that the amp is ok (i tested with a separate psu a few days ago). I used only one thermistor from star ground to chassis, not the one on the primary (because i've got a single primary not dual) nor the re-phasing line cap (.0033).

Do you think is the inrush current the cause of the blown fuse or there must be something wrong with my amp?

Many thanks in advance :)

Marco

hershann said:

So that means - after the 2 bridge rectifiers I split the wires to supply 2 PS boards, each supplying a F4 board (i.e. parallel supply)

thanks

her shann

Peter Daniel said:

Just thought about it -
I am going to use a 400VA 18v-0-18v transformer. Assuming I use the 33,000uF x 4 per PS board x 2 board = 264,000uF total. This is going to be significantly higher than the 120,000uF in the original design.

How big / long will the in-rush current be? Will the single CL60 thermistor be enough to reduce it? How do you calculate the in rush current and what's the usual safety rating (depends on how hot the transformer get?). Or will the 1.5A slow blo fuse (240V wall power) go first?

Lots of questions from a newbie... ...

her shann

Peter Daniel said:
Einstein said, "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."

As to the filter caps I would say: "Use as little as possible, but not too little."

Using too much capacitance can sometimes be harmful to the sound.;)

I used 2 x 15,000uF per channel in my Zv9 and I don't feel like a need more.

Agreed - looks like I'll just use 1 PS board to keep everything simple then.

her shann

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
jacco vermeulen said:
ever thought of regional general preferences ?

It depends even in our region.

Young people rush to disco club or rock café for girl-hunting and boy-hunting, moving their well-built bodies sexy in all different directions under large size of noisy music. Power and full of bass should be there to hold on their peripheral nerves. Yeah, not only for this, but the full of bass has another effect which can kick out the old boys to the outside street.

At home, we try to listen to the music constructed on the right balance between each instrument and the music in the right harmonies of all instrumental roles. We want the correct basses in the right places.

:darkside:

Babowana said:

...Yeah, not only for this, but the full of bass has another effect which can kick out the old boys to the outside street.

At home, we try to listen to the music constructed on the right balance between each instrument and the music in the right harmonies of all instrumental roles. We want the correct basses in the right places.

:darkside:

Amen to that!

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Blitz said:
Why is the current value 150R for the "grid stoppers" / Series resistors ?

I have run values from 50 up to 475 ohms. They obviously want
to be lower for more bandwidth, but at some point instability
creeps in. At higher values you start losing gain at high frequencies.

A good square wave is helpful in evaluating this - look at the
500 KHz to 1 MHz region for overshoot.