Zv9

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi !

I have a question about the Aleph Current Source implemented in ZEN V9. As shown in the schematic (fig.8), R18=0.47 Ohm, and R19=3.31 Kohm. With these values, it is set at about 50% AC gain.

If we want to change that, I guess it would be most practical to vary the value of R19.

If we want to vary the percentage of AC gain from, say 10% up to 80%, what would be the appropriate value of of a pot inserted instead of R19?

Or, If I want 20% of Ac current gain, what should be the value of R19?

Sorry for a bit silly questions, but help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Vix

steenoe said:
What I have been bugging him about is a chassis kit with heatsinks, suitable for a stereo ZenV9. The guy is capable of doing a thing like that, but he never wanted to. I think that I might have him persuaded:)
Steen:)

This is not quite the way it works. My reason for doing this is to get some of the guys out there, whom are not blessed with the possibility to do the heavy metal work, to actually build a complete amp, instead of the usual unfinished projects everybody seems to have laying around in the corners.

So.....the offer is only open to people whom can convince me and Steenoe that they are actually going to build an amp!!!!!

The idea is to make something like a kit, the sheetmetal parts and heatsinks, with everything done that requires more than a hacksaw and a powerdrill.

I will not be able to put more than about 5 such "kits" together, hence the above mentioned limitation.

Magura :)

Zv9 3 way speaker compatiblity?

Does anyone know?

Is this Zv9 compatibile with a 3 way horn system or just a single full range speaker system?

Or would I need to rebuild the regular cross over to a current source version with everything in series for all three horns?

It makes things complicated, if this is the case. Ideas?

speaker compatibility?

More information. These 3 way speakers above are the Klipsch corner horn, with 4 ohm woofer. I am using my own 1st order crossover at 450 Hz and 4KHz. The compression drivers are 8 ohm each.

Would it be easier to just build an active crossover with this amp?

Regards, Bill

Nelson Pass said:
Ordinarily I would expect either approach to work fine, as the
speakers are quite efficient. Having said that though, I have
seen people dump the full output of Phase Linears into
Klipschorns, so it would depend on how loud you like it.

To be completely honest, I have tried my Krell KST-100 on them and found you would have to be nuts or deaf to need that much power!

My original "return of Zen amp" was slightly under powered for the dynamic bass that I liked, but found it was fine for the upper midrange and tweeter.

My Aleph 3, seems to be great for the bass. So, maybe, I could use the Zv9 for the midrange and tweeters and keep the Aleph for the bass?

I would hate to lose 3 db of efficiency on my bass horn since it is 4 ohms unless the Zv9 would sound a lot better than the Aleph 3 for bass?

Btw, I am using the JBL 2445 with Radian aluminum diaphragm (8 ohm) for the midrange and a TAD TD-2002 for the tweeter from 4KHz and up. Both these drivers are about 110 Db/watt so the 10 or 15 watts would be plenty for powering those.

Bill,

Ello

Nope Im not using z4 bpoards. Just strip board . Im making the Aleph current source. Got some big heatsinks but could do with something smaller. Does anyone know what the output power of the amp is ?
dave

Attachments

• zenv9.jpg
    zenv9.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,091
I was also thinking about using Zv4 boards, but last weekend I was approched by Veteran with a question if I wouldn't be interested in co-designing Zv9 board.

Well, he didn't have to ask me twice, and here's the result of our combined efforts:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

More extensive documentation was presented here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=886446#post886446
PDF files can be used to fabricate the boards right away, in a home made fashion, the way it's used to be before group buys became popular ;)

Since the Zv9 design looks very similar to F3, untill Nelon Pass says that it's OK to fabricate PCBs, we will not make them available here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.