Zv9

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thrice said:
I'm getting ready to order parts for this amp and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good output cap for this amp. I know it needs to be 10,000uF, but what voltage should I go with? And where can I buy a cap like this, I'm having a bit of trouble finding one that's appropriate.

Thanks for your help.
thrice

Rating of output cap should be 35V minimum but if you look for a complete full proof you should go with 50V and 105ºC assuming you have a 50V B+ :)

Re: Balanced? I do notice a difference...

carpenter said:
Good lord, it's Friday! :joker: :cheers: :sing: and I've decided to build the ZV7-T. Mouser to the rescue.:D

John:)

John,

Before you settle (too deeply) on a ZV7-T, check out the schematic by Alain Dupont here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=850909#post850909

You might find it interesting. He dispensed with the inductor coupling.

Btw, I too would like to see a balanced ZV9 or something like it.

Paul Ebert

Thanks, Paul.

But to be quite honest, I want to hear what the amp sounds like with the inductor. I've downloaded Alain's schematic for comparison.

It seems rather interesting that with an inductor you can drop the top half of the amp and half the voltage and current and heat with it. With Nelson's little balancing trick, I think there may be a future in inductors yet. Although he spent just a bit of time with ZV7-T, he seemed rather impressed with the flavor of that design. Now, I'm curious as hell, and want to hear it with my own ears.

I've built the Zen and the AX, great sounding amps BTW, and now I'm ready for something completely different. First the ZV7-T, a tutorial exercise, then the B-ZV9-T.

Don't you love the way Nelson gets us to thinking?

All the best to everyone,

John:D

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Thanks, Paul.

carpenter said:
I think there may be a future in inductors yet. Although he spent just a bit of time with ZV7-T, he seemed rather impressed with the flavor of that design. Now, I'm curious as hell, and want to hear it with my own ears.

John:D

drop that line at Toob board,and they'll kill ya for slightest question mark........
:devilr:

Re: Thanks, Paul.

carpenter said:
It seems rather interesting that with an inductor you can drop the top half of the amp and half the voltage and current and heat with it.

John,

I was thinking about your statement and I need to make sure I am understanding you correctly. Are you saying that a B-ZV9-T would be more efficient than Alain's circuit? I wouldn't have guessed that the inductors would be more efficient than an active current source (but what do I know!).

If I am understanding you correctly (and your position is correct), I might agree with you that the ZV9-T is the way to go. Personally, I might rather reduce heat than the last bit of distortion.

Paul Ebert

Depends how you look at it, Steve.

Your assertion seems correct, no argument there. But, since I will run the ZV9 balanced, thus mirroring its original configuration, it's going to kill my efficiency, double the heat/heatsinging, and basically make me feel like a wasteful, obnoxious bast___. At least with the tanny, I can break even and run balanced.

John:D :devilr: :angel: :D ;)

Re: No free lunch

steve jones said:
In the Zv9T, voltage is halved but current is doubled with the addition of the balanced half of the circuit.

Same power disappated at idle as the standard Zv9.

Should offer the same wattage to the speaker (more or less :) ).

the active device still sees 23 volts or so the diss power saving is all in the ccs drop ~43 watts. The voltage swing should be doubled and therefore the power should be quadrupled up to the current limit which should come pretty fast as the speaker impedance gets to be less than 16ohms.

Hey, that's interesting!!

Grataku, I'm basing my mod on the ZV7 -T. It increased the efficiency from 6 percent to 16, which seems to agree with your post. It also sounds as if you're saying that I'll need to have higher bias current. How do I do that without hurting the jfets?

I could swear that Nelson wrote that making the ZV9 balanced wouldn't increase power...

I'm better with 2 x 4s and a hammer.

John:)

I found it; Nelson replies to my post:

Re: balanced version Post #51
quote:
Originally posted by carpenter
While reading the zenlite article, I noticed Nelson created a balanced version of that amp by joining it alongside a mirror counterpart. Is there any reason this wouldn't work with this project?

(Nelson Pass writes)
It will work fine, but keep in mind that it won't deliver more
current in bridge/balanced mode.

Since the ZenV9 is gonna be a pretty popular DIY object, I have been bugging my friend Magura to actually do something for the DIY community here! Until now with no result. He is quite helpful if you have a danish passport, allright. But if you dont, you can forget about it. I have had the good fortune to use the inductors of his make for several heavy load PSU's, and they are perfect for the job. No noise from them, the guy knows what he is doing;)
What I have been bugging him about is a chassis kit with heatsinks, suitable for a stereo ZenV9. The guy is capable of doing a thing like that, but he never wanted to. I think that I might have him persuaded:) What I had in mind is something like the chassis I used for my A-X's, only a little wider to accomodate a stereo amp. Take a look at the pic:) I have had him talked long enough into this, so I dare to post about it:) The heatsinks with fins on both sides is simply the best you can have. I am pleased that he said it would, just maybe, be possible to make a few chassis kits to someone who wants it:) I wanted a chassis like this for my ZenV9, and couldnt resist to talk Magura into a thing like this:D Looking at his backyard, he really needs to get rid of some of all that stuff anyway;) (dont tell him I said that:D ) This is not a group buy, its not a sale or anything like that, I just wanted to mention it for those of you, wanting to build an amp with adequate heatsinks. Send me an email if you are seriously interested, and I will see what I can do.

Steen:)

Attachments

• ax_mono.jpg
    ax_mono.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 931
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.