ZV4 has arrived.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just read the archive article on cascode amp circuits and Im having difficulty applying the circuit schematics presented in that article to those in the ZV4 articles. I guess the cascode article is using a bipolar transistor representation while the ZV4 is a mosfet topology? I really like the idea of a constant voltage source for the tranisitor as a means of diminishing voltage induced non-linearities and the subjective quality of dynamic power that it apparently provides.

My questions now are does the ZV4 operate in an analogous environment with Q2 providing constant voltage and current to Q1? Is voltage regulation what is gained by replacing the light bulbs with a Q2?

If the ZV4 doesnt have voltage regulation analogous to the cascode article which aleph schematic could I study to see a more current application of the cascode approach.

Thanks

Fritz

Hi 2Bak,

What method are you employing for making the pcbs?

I was thinking in a point-to-popint wiring but if I can find pre-drilled circuit boards maybe I'll do the pcb with some press'n'peel stuff. I just don't know if the pre-drilled holes will stay in the right places :yikes:

Miguel

miguel2

My Zen 4 pcbs are made by using double sided photo resist boards. A friend of mine does this for me, since I've no experience and equipment for making double sided pcbs. Holes are drilled after etching with a professional drilling machine.

I wouldn't use press'n'peel on pre-drilled boards, you will get holes in the traces, won't you?
Why don't you use normal copper boards and press'n'peel on these, and then have someone with a good drilling machine to drill the holes for you?

The problem off course is to have the component holes on each side to match 100%, using this method, e.i. positioning the press'n'peels on both sides correctly. I've seen some tips and tricks on how to acomplish this here

Good luck
/Jan

Jens wrote:

Just converted Nelson’s ZV4 gerber files into PDF – maybe helpful for some of us.

We have now made the doublesided pcb's from the attached PDF-file, that Jens made. Compared to Nelson's pic on this page, the pcbs in the PDF-file should be reversed, i.e. flipped if making a positive resist film !!!
We missed this before making them, but I guess our pcbs will be
OK with the components mounted "flipped"...?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The PDF was made stray ahead from the Gerber file. To be clear, don’t reverse the layout in the PDF, simply put the top-layer-layout not face-to-face, as the bottom-layer, to the board, but the printed side of the layout shows to you. Alternatively, you can use the appended file in which the top-layer-layout is mirrored and all the holes are shown. 2Bak, may I ask you for commend (confirmation) – thanks.

Attachments

• zv4 layout.zip
    34.4 KB · Views: 254
Ok, Jens, that's true !
On our pcbs the two sides are correctly matched, but mirrored compared to Nelson's.
This means in our case that the bottom side will be the component side and reverse. No problem.

We made 6 nice pcbs, so we won't do it over again. Two pcbs for a single ended zen4, and four pcbs for a balanced z4 version.

regards Jan

active x-over (6 dB/oct) in ZEN V4

I want to use the ZEN V4 for my tweeter. Is it possible to reduce the value of the capaciter C2, so that the low frequency rolloff beginns at 2000 Hz with 6 dB/oct?

Is there a possibility to this with the high frequency rolloff, too?
(e.g. midrange 1500 Hz)

regards

Günter

:confused:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes, but you have to remember that the feedback to the
input is taken after the cap, and so while you are feeding
the tweeter through your filter cap, you must provide a
path for feedback which is before this cap. The easiest
solution is to leave the original caps in place, but tap
off before the original output caps and feed the tweeter
through the filter cap you want to use.
:angel:

Hi!

I'm afraid the link to the Gerber-files on pasdiy.com has been removed.

And the text isn't in the right order:

Adjustment
[...]
Bring the amplifier up slowly using
check the temperature of the heat every few minutes. Check for burning smells. Readjust R4 after an hour.
Performance
[...]
Conclusion
[...]
Thanks to Karen Douglass, Wayne Colburn, and Desmond Harrington for their help.
a Variac and watch the voltage across R0. If it does not exceed .7 volts or so, then[...]

And "conclusion" isn't bold ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.