ZV4 has arrived.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The PSU example on fig. 6 in the ZEN 4 pdf-file, I guess I would have to redesign this if I do not plan to use earth AC ground? We do not have earth ground in my place, and my other equipment do not use it either, including my BoSoZ.

My setup would be:
230v AC, non earth grounding
Two 300VA, 2*18 v toroids

What should I alter then?
Would chassis grounding make any sense without AC grounding?

regards

The Digikey part number P1246-ND, Panasonic part number ECE-A1HFS221 has apparently been discontinued. See http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/components/pdf/DC023.pdf. Also see the Digi-Key front page, http://www.digikey.com/ and lookup the part number P1246-ND and it appears that digikey no longer has the part. According the PDF from panasonic, the ECEA1HFS221 replacement is the EEUFC1H221(Also available at Digikey), but is varies in specification(both slightly in mechanical and electrical specifications). I was wondering if Mr Pass would give the go ahead and use the replacement that panasonic recommends. Thanks for any responses.

Hello,

Well, I finished mine Zen - V4 !
I will try to get some photos and post them.

It have much more power than original Zen !
As usual, clear sound without any audiable hum.
I used smaller heatsinks than required, but it is working very good and everything is ok.
I run my mosfets and heatsinks above 90 C, after some time
you can feel the characteristic warm smell in the room !

As as expected, another excellent and 'simple' design.

Thanks to Mr.Pass and his crew.

Best regards,
Kristijan Kljucaric
http://web.vip.hr/pcb-design.vip

Kristijan,

You're fast! I just mailed in my check for the pcb!

While you're in the process of getting the photos taken, could you take a look at some of my questions that I posted previously regarding to Balanced Channels. I guess I'm hungry for more power!

ZV4 Balanced Channels: Couple of questions

1. ZV4 article does not mention anything about transistors being matched. Do they need to be matched? If yes, match Q1 and Q2 only?

2. Power output for ZV4 in balanced mode is pretty much similiar to Aleph 5. Would the construction cost for ZV4 and Aleph 5 be about the same? Might some of the experienced DIYers know already from the top of the head?

3. For each balanced channel (I understand it'll need 2 boards), is it just a matter of connecting the two V+ together and the Grounding together from the 2 boards? The 2 inputs on the 2 boards would be connected to the plus and minus of the XLR input?

4. Now for the power supply, assuming we're using 2 transformers for unbalanced channels, how many transformers are required for balanced channels (and how are the secondary wires connected)?

Thanks. Can't wait to see your photos!

fcel said:
2. Power output for ZV4 in balanced mode is pretty much similiar to Aleph 5. Would the construction cost for ZV4 and Aleph 5 be about the same? Might some of the experienced DIYers know already from the top of the head?
Costs are mostly based on transformers, caps, heatsinks and chassis. So I would bet they would be about the same.

Hello fcel,

1. There is no need for matched transistors for Zen - V4, even for the balanced operation, as there are output capacitors.

2. The Aleph 5 cost little more.

3. For balanced operation you will need 4 channels (2 x 2),
and the 2 inputs on the 2 boards would be connected to the plus and minus of the XLR connector.
Same thing as Balance-25 at my website.

4. If you would like to build balanced version, than you must double the rating of the transformer-s.
The transformer for the two channels that are bridged, should have 35 - 38 VAC or so, and rating of minimum 400 VA.
How the wires on the seccondary will be connected depends on the type of the transformer.
I use custom made transformers, as here in Croatia there is a lot's of places where you can get them.

Best regards,
Kristijan Kljucaric
http://web.vip.hr/pcb-design.vip

Kristijian ... Thanks for the response.

Just one more thing. Shouldn't the rating for each transformer be 600VA since you said the rating should be doubled? By 35-38VAC secondary, you meant two ~18V on the secondary side? So, to make sure I got this right, the rating of the transformer doubled but the secondary voltage remains the same?

A few additional newbie questions on the power supply:

- can I omit chassisgrounding in the PSU and the bridge in the left side of fig. 6 ?
- what would be the typical value of the thermistor?
- is 63 volts OK for the electrolytic capacitors?
I plan to use 2 x 3 x 10.000uF and two 300VA, 2x18v toroids, hoping to reach 2 x 30 watt.

also:
- can I replace the c15 ceramic 5pF (two 10pfs in series) with something else? Silver mica, polypropylene etc.

4 ohms and higher bias

I don't know if I'm the first to ask this question, but how does this new Zen work with 4 ohm loads? If I increase the bias current and use a higher power output device (or multiples in parallel), would it compare to an Aleph 3 at, say 40w at 4 ohms? This decision between Zen and Aleph is a quandary, because I plan to use the amp to drive my 4 ohm towers full-range (super bass and high volumes not required) until I get an active crossover up, after which it will be driving 8 ohm tweeters/mids only. I assume that when driving 8 ohm speakers at low volumes, the Zen V4 sounds better than the Aleph 3?

I can't help but add to everyone else by saying: Thank you Mr. Pass for this new project; you continue to extend professional support to DIYers like no one else. And thanks to everyone else for their contributions to this discussion, I am finding it very informative.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.