New Aleph Mini PCB GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:nod:OKaaaaaay! The board works. Supply voltages are at +/- 15, current draw at idle is 1.04 amps on each rail. All check voltages are just fine and dandy with the voltage across the source resistors at .484 volts, 5 volts across R-18 and 5.15 volts across R-8. Offset is a very low .016 volts. More checks to follow as soon as I can but this may be tommrrow night......... A photo of the test setup is posted on Brian's gallery :nod:.

Cheers!

Mark

"The big question is how hot do they get and what does your setup look like with the heat sinks that you are useing."

Its getting nice and hot right now. My sink liiks just like the one in the photo I took on Brian's gallery....... Its actually pretty oversized for this amp. Its the same one I used on the Krell KSA-50 that I recently built. you can check out more heatsink photos on that thread......... but the fins are 3" and the sink is about 7X10 inches.... overkill for this amp.

Mark

Jason,

The better Panasonic 1/4 watt resistors (they dont need to be mounted on end because they are small enough) are $0.17 each, the power resistors are $0.50 each, nichicon caps $0.78 each etc. You could subcontract the matching of the semiconductors to Mattyo5 (he has sold me many matched sets at great prices and I am sure he wouldn't mind making a couple of bucks) and the parts kit for the mini would be about $25 for a stereo pair or less.

I know there must be a few posts regarding this, but I havent found anything after 5 mintes searching so ill ask.
How do the aleph 30 and 60 differ from the 3 and 5?
From what I can gather they dissipate less idle current for the same output(found this looking at Pass labs service manuals)
How many outputsd does the aleph 60 use?

cheers ab

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Here is the current power supply board layout:

4 - heatsinked to-220 diodes (I plan on using MUR860 diodes, as I have a decent stock of them)

6 - 35mm caps (digikey sells 22,000uF 50v panasonic caps that should work good for the Aleph30, and 10,000uF caps that should work well with the Mini-Aleph)

Terminal blocks for input and output, allowing for wiring of 2 channels.

Mounting holes positioned so that the board could be cut apart to make a larger capacitor bank if desired.

Placement allowing for a CRC or CLC setup, possibly a regulation setup if the Vin, Vout and GND pads are used.

On board LED, with pads for wiring the LED off board as well.

Any comments/suggestions?

(I will increase the pad side for the input AC wiring holes, which currently only support up to 18ga wire and terminal blocks)

--
Brian

Attachments

• ps.gif
    ps.gif
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,329
ALL-

The actual PCB's should be sold NON-profit to cover ALL costs involved in their fabrication INCLUDING Brian's time to design, test and ship. (I just hope he doesn't charge $1M an hour for his time!!)

The parts Kits are a HUGE hassle to order, assemble and ship. Jason should defiantly receive compensation for his effort. A thousand dollars a kit, no I don't think so, but a couple of bucks YES. It is WELL worth my time to pay him a few extra bucks to gather/match the parts to save me the time.

If you have ever ordered one of Brian's kits I'm sure you know how much easier it is to follow his well-written instructions and have all the CORRECT parts right there the first time.

Jason should not be getting rich off of the kits GB, but he is not a charity either. I don't see anyone else stepping up offering to do kits for less.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think it has been established that a small fee is perfectly acceptable.This is to cover the expenses of the time required to produce and mail these items, not as a profit above and beyond these costs. I would venture to say that it could be 2-3 times $50 if the volume is sufficient. Nelson even (I would think with a bit of concern...)
approved Kristians aleph boards that are selling in the $50 range, but I think that's high- however I think we all decided that he was quite low volume and provided his own type of service- not a group buy, but a steady availability.

A high priced high volume group buy would be innappropriate IMHO.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Variac said:
I think it has been established that a small fee is perfectly acceptable.This is to cover the expenses of the time required to produce and mail these items, not as a profit above and beyond these costs. I would venture to say that it could be 2-3 times $50 if the volume is sufficient. Nelson even (I would think with a bit of concern...)
approved Kristians aleph boards that are selling in the $50 range, but I think that's high- however I think we all decided that he was quite low volume and provided his own type of service- not a group buy, but a steady availability.

A high priced high volume group buy would be innappropriate IMHO.

The price of the pcbs will not be around Kristijan's boards.

I am currently aiming at selling the amplifier pcb sets for $20, which would include:
- 3 oz copper
- thicker 0.093" FR-4
- blue soldermask
- scoring for easy board seperation (as with my gainclone boards)
- 2 amplifier boards
- 4 output boards

This price is quite reasonable, and isn't much higher than the board cost, after you factor in the tooling charges and shipping from board vendor.

The extra proceeds from the boards will allow me to order extra boards for people getting in on the group buy later on. (also provide Jason and myself with some free boards)

If all goes well with this, this could be an extended offering for the pcbs.

As for the power supply boards, I am currently not sure if I will include the soft start boards, as I don't want to get in a debate over the creepage distances on the primary AC connection.

--
Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.