New Aleph Mini PCB GB - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2005, 02:44 PM   #111
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Board layout modified again, as Peter pointed out that I had the source and drain reversed on some of the output transistors. Everything checks out fine now:
http://chipamp.com/diyaudio/miniA-with_output.gif

Thanks for your help Peter,

--
Brian
Old 13th March 2005, 02:00 AM   #112
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that Peter's PCB is for an Aleph 30 and Brains' are for an Mini-A driver board with the "option” to expand to an aleph 30 or....

If that is the case, then Peters PCB should be a separate thread for the "integrated package" amp builders and Brian/Jason's PCB should continue as the versatile build any model thread.

I appreciate Peter's design and input. I will prolly build that one next to try it out.

I think Brian/Jason's PCB's have come far enough along to continue this project. Keep it up gentlemen.

moderator's Note: At PD's request, the thread has been split in 2 with PD's derivative here:
The Aleph30 PCB layout
The Aleph30 PCB layout
Old 13th March 2005, 12:29 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Peter,

I for one am thankful for your contribution.
Old 13th March 2005, 04:26 PM   #114

I have created a poll for both designs to see what people prefer:
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/aleph-poll
(site will allow you to click vote multiple times, but only 1 vote is recorded per IP address)

I will make the poll results visible on the site, once a substantial number of votes are recorded. (wouldn't want to skew the vote through early reporting).

If the Peter's Aleph30 design is preferred over my Mini-A design, I will work with Peter to rework the design into this new form factor. I would also prefer to add the zener protection diodes to his layout, and make the mounting holes easier to access.

--
Brian
Old 13th March 2005, 04:58 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
For a sake of comparison, this image would be better, as it shows overall dimentions. It is also the latest version, with all pads and some traces further optimized. 4 mounting holes are added as well, for using board as front end only.
Attached Images
File Type: gif a30.gif (76.1 KB, 2204 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 13th March 2005, 05:02 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
For a sake of comparison, this image would be better, as it shows overall dimentions. It is also the latest version, with all pads and some traces further optimized. 4 mounting holes are added as well, for using board as front end only.
I modified the image in the poll gallery.

--
Brian
Old 14th March 2005, 06:25 AM   #117
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have created a poll for both designs to see what people prefer:
I think people would like you two guys to
stick your heads together, right about now, and create the most
elegant, flexible, scalable set of Aleph pcbs possible. Preferrably with all the good ideas that has come up so far. I am Zensing that
Peter is really fired up on this, so let us all get the advantages of that Can anyone second that oppinion?

Steen

BTW: I do like the idea of having output boards
Old 14th March 2005, 12:33 PM   #118
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Can anyone second that oppinion?
I absolutely second that opinion. Both designs are very good, with unique advantages, but really they are very similar. They are two arrangements on the same theme.

I like idea a seperate power stage PCB. I also know that I will opt for the Aleph30 configuration when I get a chance to build one.

If you reall only wanted to used one board for an Aleph30 Peter's PCB is very nice.

Otherwise, I tend to lean toward Brian's PCB as it seems a simple way to allow for very flexible heatsink layout. You could easily use one heatsink for all 6 devices, or 2 for each half, or even other options I am sure.

I am sure you could have a lot of flexibility with Peter's PCB too, but you would have to run wire to your output devices, and with 6 that 3 times for wire than you would be running with Brian's kit.

Still Peter's design is very attractive because if you can leave the devices on the PCB and layout you heatsinks accordingly it will not have any wires in the signal path. I doubt anyone would ever be able to discern that difference audibly, but technically it is apealling.
Old 14th March 2005, 12:48 PM   #119
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Still Peter's design is very attractive because if you can leave the devices on the PCB and layout you heatsinks accordingly it will not have any wires in the signal path. I doubt anyone would ever be able to discern that difference audibly, but technically it is apealling.
I agree it is very appealing, BUT, I strongly doubt that it would be possible to dissipate the heat from all the mosfets when they are sitting so close. Running 6x3 leads is not appealing though I can only repeat: Outputboards is it, if you want several output devices.

Steen.
Old 14th March 2005, 12:49 PM   #120

I have some concern about having the Aleph30 in such a small form factor. Recalling how much heat the MiniA generates when I built my earlier prototype:
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/mini-a
The heatsink that I used ended up being too small, and ended up being too warm to touch. (I did orientate the heatsink in a vertical fashion when running extended tests, for proper heat dissipation)

I am thinking that unless active cooling is used, output boards would be a wise idea to space the devices out more.

Also, 4 wires per output boards won't be difficult to wire up.

EDIT: looks like we had the same idea...

--
Brian

Hide this!Advertise here!