New Aleph Mini PCB GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Brian, I was just trying to lay out the general philosophy that has evolved regarding group buys of boards and /or parts. Your efforts have alway had very high value for those of us that have ordered and benefitted.

As far as the soft start- It takes 2 to debate, just keep the traces a reasonable distance apart and don't get sucked into a discussion. Also please keep in mind that the product that caused people to comment about creepage, was as far as I know, touted as a possible commercial Product that was to be sold assembled, that is what wasa driving the comments (among other things...:rolleyes: .)

Mark

BrianGT said:
Here is the current power supply board layout:

4 - heatsinked to-220 diodes (I plan on using MUR860 diodes, as I have a decent stock of them)

6 - 35mm caps (digikey sells 22,000uF 50v panasonic caps that should work good for the Aleph30, and 10,000uF caps that should work well with the Mini-Aleph)

Terminal blocks for input and output, allowing for wiring of 2 channels.

Mounting holes positioned so that the board could be cut apart to make a larger capacitor bank if desired.

Placement allowing for a CRC or CLC setup, possibly a regulation setup if the Vin, Vout and GND pads are used.

On board LED, with pads for wiring the LED off board as well.

Any comments/suggestions?

(I will increase the pad side for the input AC wiring holes, which currently only support up to 18ga wire and terminal blocks)

--
Brian

Could you add a pin hole so that IRF HFA FREDs can be used? They are also 2 pin on a TO247AC package, with the centre pin cut off. Do you need a drawing of the part? They are still a single NP die and not a dual NP die like other 3 pin devices.

Regards

Anthony

pinkmouse said:
I personally would have liked a version for 3 pin T0220s, as I have hundreds of MBR2020s, but I'm sure I'll cope. ;)

As you say Pinky, I am positive what ever Brian does I will be thrilled. I have hundreds of IRF HFA25PB60 devices, I have purchased several different DIY power supply and Regulator designs over the past year and not one will accomodate the IRF 2 PIN AC247AC devices.

I also dislike the practise of placing 5 pads in a row to try to accomodate different configurations as they make the pad spacing way to small. 3 Pads where 2 are common anyway for different sized 2Pin devices is fine, but once you through in a 3 pin device, I think you comprimise track density.

Regards

Anthony

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Coulomb said:

Could you add a pin hole so that IRF HFA FREDs can be used? They are also 2 pin on a TO247AC package, with the centre pin cut off. Do you need a drawing of the part? They are still a single NP die and not a dual NP die like other 3 pin devices.

Regards

Anthony

Regarding the layout, I don't want to compromise the layout with different diode pinouts. There are plenty of 2 pin to-220 diodes out there for reasonable prices, so there really is not need to accomidate other footprints, and possibly compromise the layout.

Also, the heatsinks specified only work with to-220 devices, as the to-247 devices are too wide.

--
Brian

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Variac said:
As far as the soft start- It takes 2 to debate, just keep the traces a reasonable distance apart and don't get sucked into a discussion. Also please keep in mind that the product that caused people to comment about creepage, was as far as I know, touted as a possible commercial Product that was to be sold assembled, that is what wasa driving the comments (among other things...:rolleyes: .)

Mark

I will post a design soon, and if it seems to comply with all safety guidelines, I will include it with the power supply pcb.

--
Brian

If you fuse the rails, you will regret it. Use one on the AC line only.
For my part, I am uncomfortable with people making a profit on this sort of thing. Either we're in this for the love of it, or it's a commercial endeavor. Arguments in support of profit earlier remind me of the arguments in support of slavery: they didn't own the slave, just the right to his labor...
As always, Nelson's word on this is law. Ask him. In one sense, I "designed" the Mini-A, but in the larger sense, it's Nelson's intellectual property, and his rights supercede mine. His word is final, either way.

Grey

"I am uncomfortable with people making a profit on this sort of thing. Either we're in this for the love of it, or it's a commercial endeavor. As always, Nelson's word on this is law. Ask him. In one sense, I "designed" the Mini-A, but in the larger sense, it's Nelson's intellectual property, and his rights supercede mine. His word is final, either way."

I couldn't agree more with that statement! I feel that the parts thing HAS to be done on a no profuit basis and thats really why I brought it up.... asifde from what I thought was an exhorbatant price for them. I can get 1% resistors here in SLC for 6.00 per hundred and soon and so forth. I do this for the love of the hobby and it would be nice to make it more accessable to others by the availability of the parts kits..... and also its fun to be asked like I was to try out something new such as these boards and report back to the group. Nothing at all here against Jason but if he won't do it as a non-profit venture then I will. Any profits that might be made by me would be donated to keep this site up and on the net. I was also planning on auctioning off this pair of Mini-A boards after the tests, perhaps on Brian's site, or perhaps on E-Bay.... with Nelson's permission..... and the funds will go to this site. So Nelson, is this ok with you?

Thanks,
Mark

I have gotten a few emails saying great job for starting this jason and great idea and every one of them say keep it up and there all fine with the price's.. If this is going to be a problem i'll delete the parts group buy and there will be no group buy. Nelson Pass Has been emailed and is all ok with this. Proffit or no Proffit im not a rich person and can'tt afford to pay for peoples parts and packaging. This is a hobby and love it.. this is not a 3 hour job to sort and test parts for people this is a few day's and long night's. I repeat again if this turns into a hassle ill remove the group buy and people can buy there own parts at a higher cost.

On another note to buy 1000 resisters is alot more than buying 100 : O )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.