Official M2 schematic

... and I love to wander around outside the dotted line.

Graeme

It's so refreshing that wandering is accepted/even encouraged around here. I keep getting "bad idea" or "ill advised" or "strongly against" from the Bottlehead community when I wander with one of their designs.

(I don't want to paint a negative picture of them; they are quite helpful to explain what they think might go wrong, and assist me in modelling the changes I've made. But I still find the attitude here more engaging.)

Cheers,
Jeff.

....it's a dreadful English complaint ZM...they turn their backs if I even open my mouth!!!

[I had one of those English + Scottish TT two-brand systems once...took my speakers out - JV, alive then, repaired amp etc, but stole my 'other brand, but by famous (read 'expensive') make, pre-power interconnect. That system gave me real headaches after about an hour of listening. Then I met you know who and I heard real music off of records for the first time. Been a heretic ever since!!

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think these other forums don't like going outside the dotted line because they don't want you asking "whats wrong with my amp" and it isn't to spec. Most here going outside the dotted line know what they are doing and why...that said, I stay in the dotted line because I do not know what or why...

I think these other forums don't like going outside the dotted line because they don't want you asking "whats wrong with my amp" and it isn't to spec. Most here going outside the dotted line know what they are doing and why...that said, I stay in the dotted line because I do not know what or why...

I agree. It's also a bit different when they're selling the kit, rather than just publishing the schematic.

And even this forum can get a bit strident when the topic of ground disconnects comes up.... :D

Well the good thing about papaland is that the designs work even with ballpark parts.
He often admits himself "I used that because I have a tone of them on my shelves"
So it's not so much about going outside the line.
It's more like that the line is very thick :)
Your mileage may vary and certain parts or values give better results than others, but that just makes the game more interesting.
The one area that seems to be strict is the dodofets.

External PSU for M2

Hi folks,
I'm about to start my M2-Clone (Tea-Bag) build and the plan is to put the mains transformer in a separate box.
So I ask myself (and you) where to put the rectification and filtering.
I assume a low voltage 6pole ac connection with diodes and caps in the main amp case is less critical than a dc version (thicker wires for dc?). which type of cables and connectors would you suggest?

yours faithfully
A.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Attila: I made my AlephJ with the PS in a separate chassis, and I will tell you what I did and why. Others might have other suggestions. You want the rectifier and some caps in the PS so as not to introduce any low voltage AC in the amp. That is the main reason to do it. However, every connecting cable will have some inductance, so it is a good idea to have some caps in the amp near the amp pcb. The ratio can be PS to amp of 50-50 or 80-20 or whatever, but I recommend a minimum of 10 mF in the amp. That is 10mF on the + rail to ground and 10mF on the - rail to ground. Or this could be a good place to do that for each channel using four caps. For the connecting cable I used a 4 conductor 12 AWG, wired as +, gnd, -, gnd. You can go as small as 16 AWG on the rails, but I like my gnd to be as rock stable as possible, so that is why I used a total of two 12 AWG wires for it. You may go larger if you like, especially if the cable will be a longer run. I used Neutrik 4 pole SpeakOn connectors (I used NL4FX, rated 40 A) which works very nicely. There is no need to use an AC connector here, which only has three connectors. In the PS chassis follow Nelson's suggestion of power gnd connecting to earth through a CL60 and the bridge rectifier connected as he shows it. Of course connect its chassis to earth gnd also. In the amp I connected the heatsink(s) to the gnd. I had no hum problem.

@propitious,
thanks for the eloquent answer;
that's what i've heard is the classical solution: to feed the amp with dc.
but i think i need + and - for each channel plus audioground plus PE for the case -
makes 6 wires total. I've looked for 6-or-more-pole-connectors from amphenol.
'think that's where i'm goin'. I'm just unsure about where to put the ground point and whether or not to feed the two channels separately from the rectification upwards.
Your solution seems much easier though.

gratefully
A.