ZEN-like headphones amp

Dear tortello,

First of all, thank you for sharing such a nice circuit with us, but I have two questions about this headphone amp.
1. Why did you use two 470uf capacitors in parellel instead of a single 1000uf capacitor?
2. Is this phone amp capable of low impedance loads such as Grado RS1 or headphones in parellel?

Thank you!

Thanks, EJ.
For me - and it seems to me everyone here - it is a real pleasure to share my passion with the other diyers.

I'll try to answer your questions:
1. Because I think that these are critical components, and I could find only good quality 470uF (or less) components (Elna Starget stuff). At least here in Italy.
If you want to simplify, a single 470uF piece will work fine: with 940uF (or 2x470) the lower cutoff frequency is about 4 (four) Hz with a 32 Ohm load, if the capacitor were 470uf, the Fc should be double.
Someone tells that many smaller caps sound better that a single bigger component, but I'm not sure about this.
2. Yes, I designed this just for Grado cans. I've tried with my SR325 cans, with a friend's RS-1 and SR80.
This can be done even with low bias current (say 100mA or so), but I prefer to run the amp hotter.
As soon as Cmoy from Headwize will be able to publish the whole article, you'll see some measurement with such loads.
The electrical capabilities are plentiful.
The sound is quite pretty, al least in my... heavy biased (!) opinion.
Thanks for your interest.
Marcello

TORTELLO, Isn't TIME to make a HOMEPAGE?

Manu said:
Hi Tortello,
I would like a copy of the files
It is still repeated here. The requests.

Put up a little homepage. You know they are for FREE.
Will not take many hours to do that.
There are several offering free webspace
with easy upload. And all the tools you need online.

fortunecity.com ... geocities.com .......

Or let someone else put the files on their homepage.
And post a link here.

;) I garantie you will not regret, Tortello. ;)

The last I heard Tortello was working with Chu Moy, the owner of the www.headwize.com site, to present Tortello's design as one of the Headwize projects. So be patient (as I write this, the site is down but when it's back the article could be there already).
While you're waiting for the article to appear, you can read (or re-read) the many other excellent articles there.

Phil, Manu, Halojoy,
thanks for your interest.
Paulb, as usual, is right (and kind, too): within few days, Cmoy from Headwize will publish the whole design, so you can download all the files needed to build this amplifier.
Please, be patience for a couple of days, I will advise you all!
Thanks again
Marcello

Tortello amp headwize-link in my favourites

Nice work.
But I would never use wet electrolyte caps
in the signal chain (if there is an alternative)

You may call it Black Gate
You may call it Rubicon
-you may call it anything
-no matter what you say
But You still have a wet electrolyte at hand

the difference from ordinary elyts are marginal
most significant diff, is probably the price
sometimes a famous label costs money

Use solid electrolyte OSCON
better electrical qualities, longer life-span
comes in special AUDIO models

Hello Halojoy,
you may be right, as a principle discussion.
Rember that in whatever cicuit you design, at least 1 capacitor (often many) are in series with the signal path, even this is no evident.
The PS smooth capacitor are in fact in the signal path, if you make the small-signal equivalent circuit, you can see it easily.
Also the usual nfb capacitor (in most cases electrolytic) is critical.
In this case the capacitor is a safe method to prevent DC current into the delicate headphones' coils.
In my opinion this is less harmful to sound than a classical protection circuit, at least enought simple not to complicate the simple beauty of this circuit.
At least this is my opinion.
I haven't ever tried "your" Oscon, if I will be able to find a local seller, I'll try them for sure.
Thanks a lot for the information.
All the best
Marcello