BA-3 As Preamp

I love my 6V6 pre! I need something decent as backup when I make some changes to it.
I managed to get one channel to 2mV and the other to 5mV before the caps, could do better though. But I was afraid to leave without them. Do you think it' s safe to go without them?

I wouldnt try it without balanced(plus a minor modification.) 6V6 is wonderful. If using the BA3B as a preamp, you have to tune it carefully or it will add too much of its character(even at reduced distortion tuning) to the final package. It did not mate well to J2 or Funny^6 when used as standalone. Funny that it works best with a buffer on the output:)

off topic ( but who cares :rofl: ) - which stacking arrangement you prefer with that AVC and - exactly in which configuration (preceding stage , next stage )

?

I use it at the output of my #26 pre. So far only tested at stock value of 20H but I want to try 3x3 at about 150H. The thing is too much hassle with all this wiring, but will do it some time soon.

I wouldnt try it without balanced(plus a minor modification.) 6V6 is wonderful. If using the BA3B as a preamp, you have to tune it carefully or it will add too much of its character(even at reduced distortion tuning) to the final package. It did not mate well to J2 or Funny^6 when used as standalone. Funny that it works best with a buffer on the output:)

Thanks Buzz. So was right not to use it without caps in single ended.
I will have a look at the BA3B thread also.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
since it is originally designed to drive BA- power buffer amp I suppose that have more or less determined the supply voltage

but is it also optimal voltage for preamp use ?

and I better not ask how it would work if output mosfets were replaced by another jfet pair :t_ache::D

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005

Attachments

• F5 Juma pre original.gif
    F5 Juma pre original.gif
    34.1 KB · Views: 639
  • juma's jfet bjt preamp.gif
    juma's jfet bjt preamp.gif
    36.6 KB · Views: 627
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
even if that's similar , it isn't anything like BA3 FE

and I'm pretty sure that Juma didn't wrote it is

no, he did not
and I never said he did
probably accidental mistake on my part when I asked for such a design, and suddenly remembered these curcuits by Juma

they are probably from a thread about 'alternative' preamps for F5 ;)
and yes, they are off topic
please ignore