Funny ^6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We listen

Attachments

• DSC_0435.JPG
    DSC_0435.JPG
    774.1 KB · Views: 256
How do I comment. It's my baby. It crushes anything I have heard. I'll get PKI down here. He can give some feedback. Flocchini will be making one soon. Soundstage, imaging, speed, control. Stand up bass is just delicious.
Damnit, where are those speakers I was building.
Gonna go get brother 10.2 Alpairs in big Planet 10 bookshelves.
Did I say it CRUSHES.
So much space and width. If BA3 benefits in this way, I cannot imagine.
PKI, where are you.

Last edited:
THanks ZM. You da number one Dodo!

A couple things about Funny^6
I am limited by my speakers, in two ways. Not enough effciency and not enough LF. I can simply tell, that it has more to offer than i am enjoying. It is driven by soundcard directly, so a quality preamp would only help. The really interesting thins about it has to do with music quality. I have ever built an amp that shows such a dramatic difference in its performance in realtion to recording quality. It really does a wonderful job of conveying what is put on the track. I have an itch top drop some cash on music, but most foucs on speakers first.

You know How I am. Get excited. I am no good with words, buthere is preliminary opinion. IT somehow manages to maintain the nature of the F6, and at the same time improve on its weeknesses. THe old F6, especially with minimal degeneration, could sound dirty and gritty. IT also sounded big, and very real/Raw. The Funny has managed to caputre its ability to present a really big sound, that seems to go way behind the speakers(depending on speaker connection, dont like opposite as much). Simple intruments like guitar and stand up bass, sound as much like the real thing as my spekers can reproduce. You know what I mean here, about 6" vs 12 or 15". THats why I want my big Altecs. Some much information in the recording can be heard ans it is very well placed. My Hi Res recordings of Guaraldi, BArber, GetZ, and others are just a wonderful listening experience. THe better the recording, the better the sound. I am not saying it sounds bad on normal stuff. IOT sounds very good, but it really seems to reward good source material. I have my brothers speakers here now. They will give me a little better idea of upside to more capable speakers. Next week, I will make my way to his house where Salas folded RIAA will lay down somw sounf from his SOta table with Ortofon Bronze. Should give me a good taste of it combined with vinyl. I will jusdge it pace and rhythm there, as Vinyl is king in these areas, in my noob opinion. After that. It will haev to wait for my speakers unless I make rounds with it. Tought to do given its current layout. I have to get working on pre and need advice on that. Pumpkin, UGS, or other options.

I know it is early, but iasm uch as i liked th F6, I like this that much more. IT is not a slight on the F6, this amp simply is more capable, IMO. I am not even saying this is best implementation, but i REALLY could stop here. It is a very good flavor of ice cream. Final version will probably be 22V rails and 1.5 to 2A bias.

I talk to much, but this should be listened to:clown:

Here is Phase two. If it continues to improve, I will get edgy. IT makes me think that with each improvement in chain, I will be rewarded. That is when you are on good track. THis is kinds sound I was expecting from future BA3B build. Certain freedom to it.

Speakers are Alpair 10.2, with Dave's/BudP's eNabling pattern. THey are in Dave's custom sweep back dMaKen.

Attachments

• 2012-04-06 15.52.27.jpg
    2012-04-06 15.52.27.jpg
    784.9 KB · Views: 247
FYI.
I am using a version that has cascoded FE with LED Vref , fed by sK170 cs. THere is no degeneration on FE to speak of(10R pot). The output only has .1R degeneration resistor up top, otherwise, nothing. I am using 470uF polymer caps with no bypass at the moment. I have MKc coming to bypass them. I also do not have bypass cap on LEd string of FE. If anyone is interested, I can post exact wooking schematic.

ZM:hug:

Link pulled. Just listening to Joshua Breakstone, who plays electric guitar on old tube amps and alnico speakers. You can that beautiful anilco crispy grungy tone. I can explain the sound, but if you have ever heard old gretschz through fender silvertone eith dual12" alnicos, you knowwhat i mean.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.