Funny ^6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK. You convniced me. Actually, I have setup tweaked now, so measurement only takes a second or two.

Side note. Do you think it is wiser to lower rails to 22V and raise bias to 1.5A or keep them at current 26V and 1.25A. In the end, Bias will be higher, but got to get some sinks ordered that will take the heat. My current layout would benefit from taller than cuurent, 6" sinks. I was thinking 8-10" single sided monoblocks. should i go this route or spread them out horizontally like Pass amps?

ya aren't little boy ; you already know that in bridged amp each half is looking at half of load
so - more current is of greater importance than more voltage

however - for first tests that's irrelevant , if you are sane enough and not blast them fully ( in which case - better leave ears in other room )

This is a big question for me, how Pass's sinks work :) They have a special fin layout, for ordinary thinks you use, vertical fins placement will be MUCH more efficient.

- they're efficient enough fro intended usage
- they're so different from usual htsnks so ppl are always talking about them ; so - efficient enough for that purpose , too

:clown:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
when I was young , I didn't need stinking variac for changing mains voltage ; good squeeze of mains cord with hand was enough !

Attachments

• buehehe.gif
    buehehe.gif
    33.3 KB · Views: 294
My current layout would benefit from taller than cuurent, 6" sinks. I was thinking 8-10" single sided monoblocks. should i go this route or spread them out horizontally like Pass amps?

Buzz,

I've measured the same (6 x 10.08 inch) heat sinks at 0.5 degrees C/watt plus ambient. The temperature was 45C on the base plate (fin side and near mosfets) measured with a digital probe. The heat sinks fins were vertical, used natural convection, and were out in the open with good ventilation all around.

You could drop down to ~100w into your set up and stay at 25C plus amb. Or, as you said, go with longer sinks. In that case, 9 inch would seem to be enough.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.