SemiSouth boiler room - Page 33 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2013, 03:27 AM   #321
diyAudio Member

Even my wife knows that "good" speakers will put a hurt on the bank account. She looks worried. That means I should look worried...

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2cthomas View Post
Warning - warning: If not careful soon you will be looking at things like "good" speakers (depending upon your wants and needs - not to mention WAF) and decent source material......

Worse than that you can wind up looking goofy......
Old 3rd May 2013, 03:56 AM   #322
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semisouthfan View Post
Even my wife knows that "good" speakers will put a hurt on the bank account. She looks worried. That means I should look worried...
That depends on your taste (always an evolving problem) budget, and WAF. There are a lot of successful open baffle builds that have been done for not much money - but does OB fit in with you and yours?

Planet 10 has some great single driver designs that can be knocked up for not an awful lot of $$$ if you are careful in your driver selection.

You have a bunch of fans here that want you to succeed in your development of your devices because - as ZM would say - we are a bunch of greedy boyz that just have to get our hands on the best sounding circuits and devices we can afford. If you need good speakers to do your listening test with just give us the word and you would have more help than you can ever imagine because we stand to benefit from the work you are doing......

Plus we are all really good-natured, intelligent, handsome chaps that enjoy helping others out.....
Old 3rd May 2013, 03:56 AM   #323
diyAudio Member

Buzz,

The second article, long in coming (sorry), is about distortion reduction from load-line canceling, and measurement and modeling methods to assist DIY'rs to estimate performance of SemiSouth JFETs (and other transistors) in amps.

I plan for a third article to be on other forms of negative feedback, with a particular look at source degeneration. From my analysis, for example, the 0.6 Ohm of Rs in an F2J contributes to THD reduction. It is likely that anything in the range you quote will make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
ONly part of the time.

Mike, is the second article about the optimization process you used in selecting your source resistors for the J2. I have a pair waiting on such a bit of advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flg View Post
The graphs I made some time back showed promissing results for Rs values in the .25-.3 ohm range.
Old 3rd May 2013, 04:00 AM   #324
diyAudio Member

Thanks, c2, that's really thoughtful of you!

Quote:
That depends on your taste (always an evolving problem) budget, and WAF. There are a lot of successful open baffle builds that have been done for not much money - but does OB fit in with you and yours?

Planet 10 has some great single driver designs that can be knocked up for not an awful lot of $$$ if you are careful in your driver selection.

You have a bunch of fans here that want you to succeed in your development of your devices because - as ZM would say - we are a bunch of greedy boyz that just have to get our hands on the best sounding circuits and devices we can afford. If you need good speakers to do your listening test with just give us the word and you would have more help than you can ever imagine because we stand to benefit from the work you are doing......

Plus we are all really good-natured, intelligent, handsome chaps that enjoy helping others out.....
Old 3rd May 2013, 04:14 AM   #325
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semisouthfan View Post
Thanks, c2, that's really thoughtful of you!
Fair warning - I listen to "new" Country and Western music on a pair of the ugliest DIY omni-directional speakers ever created.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 Mambonied Pioneers 1 Heil and a bunch of SonoTube.jpg (174.0 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg Walsh5 Remake Dec 2010.jpg (297.3 KB, 342 views)
File Type: gif Walsh Ohm Speaker Article 4.gif (91.9 KB, 334 views)
Old 3rd May 2013, 07:40 AM   #326
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
speak for your self ; I'm everything contrary , except my huge handsomeness

(good spks can be , sort of , cheap ..... but only in absolute terms )
Old 3rd May 2013, 11:44 AM   #327
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Fair warning - I listen to "new" Country and Western music on a pair of the ugliest DIY omni-directional speakers ever created.....
They are not ugly. They are pretty (though reminds, a little, KKK )
I have always wondered why omni designers do not expand the LF tube to form a true horn...besides space, WAF and technical difficulty that is...

Sorry for OT.

M.
Old 4th May 2013, 02:24 AM   #328
The one and only

Quote:
a pair of the ugliest DIY omni-directional speakers
Mmmmmmm. Fast and Bulbous.

Old 4th May 2013, 05:13 AM   #329
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

This iz bulbous......
Attached Images
File Type: gif Sonic Wave Generator - Wolf (2).gif (54.4 KB, 294 views)
Old 4th May 2013, 10:15 AM   #330
diyAudio Member

Please say you are going to try that. You will be king of DIY.

Hide this!Advertise here!