F6 Amplifier

James Transformer

Confirmed with James today, what we need is JS-252N with 2 separate secondaries.
JS-251N has a true center tap secondary, not separate windings.

Apparently they are a tad more expensive than the Jensen mentioned here, but they have a Nickel core which is supposedly much better in the low end and lower distortion (if I understood correctly).

Last edited:
Any reason why smaller transformers (like this one) could not be used ?
Seems to me the current going through it will be relatively small (although I admitedly have no reference of what's large and small for a core to saturate...)

T2c3mvXaNXXXXXXXXX_168800282.jpg

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Any reason why smaller transformers (like this one) could not be used ?

there is no reason against using those

in fact , if I can see well - Jensen's aren't bigger than these

to repeat my self - if you already have adequate xformers - try them

if not , have faith in Papa's choice - buy Jensens

later - if you want - pay preputium money for Wester Electric repeaters , I will not object to that

(but I'll waste my a$$ laughing :clown:)

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Isn't it interesting that in his quest for good sound Papa is going towards triodes, transformers, and simplicity, and not the uber-complex, multi-stage monstrosities that we see in most other amps?

It shows that focusing on vanishing levels of distortion is just not that important for listener preference.

Isn't it interesting that in his quest for good sound Papa is going towards triodes, transformers, and simplicity, and not the uber-complex, multi-stage monstrosities that we see in most other amps?
It shows that focusing on vanishing levels of distortion is just not that important for listener preference.

Well, these aren't triodes, I'm not sure about going towards. He ussually makes a point of saying he is not emulating a Tube amp. He has already done the M2 and now this amp but there are different distortion characteristics for transformers, and he just now is experimenting in public with such designs. It's just that everyone thinks they are only worth while in a tube circuit and that BottleHeads are the only ones who can use them? Actually, Xfrm'rs are better than they ever have been. Maybe those xfrm'r/tube people are catching up rather than Pass doing old stuff?
Pass has been tweaking simple amps for 20+ years.
Interesting, hell yea, but not new. You must have spent to much time in the Solid State forum?

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I've only spent time here in the Pass forum. I was just commenting on the SITs and the M2, both of which I have heard. And now the F6.

And it's not because its old technology, or that this is going backwards, or that the older engineers knew something we don't. It's just that it is an approach that separates what's important from what's not.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
if you take a good look at entire PL product line , you'll find same approach from start

what looks complicated , it isn't actually - plenty of surrounding circuitry and just few active parts

Yes! Agreed. But there is an important distinction: PL is what the market needs, but FW is what Papa likes.... at least in my mind. Well, it is now a little backwards with PapaSITs... come from FW, going into PL. Funny how these things work out.

Isn't it interesting.

Couple of weeks ago, over dinner with an inventor friend, we were talking about the technical feasibility of a servo balanced wheeled walker for old folks.
When i mentioned reliability problems due to electronics issues, the answer was that one shouldn't place boundaries from the start in a creative process.

We had drinks at his place before we went to the restaurant, during which he made me watch his new +$100K B&O 103" plasma TV for half an hour.
The screen was so much more wider compared to the previous one, that one pair of $25K ICEberg Beolab-5 loudspeakers for the surround system had to sit behind the couches, replaced by a set of wall-mounted 8002's.
Not sure if a deep-deep thought is in there, somewhere somehow.