Amp Camp Amp - ACA - Page 101 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2013, 12:36 PM   #1001
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Let me just add that a dual mono configuration is also a possibility. This uses the Peter Daniels PS boards and an Antek AN-2215 toroid that produces 20.5 Vdc. That's a little high but sounds really good. One could put everything in one chassis or do separates with short power leads. This build uses PC CPU coolers but one or two of the standard heatsinks could be used. HeatsinksUSA has many profiles.

Sorry for the mess - too many projects going at the same time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130527_081345.jpg (169.2 KB, 855 views)
File Type: jpg 20130527_081417.jpg (113.6 KB, 842 views)
Old 27th May 2013, 02:15 PM   #1002
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

Toobhed: I mounted my PCBs to the sink by drilling a hole all of the way through the sink and used an M3 screw with nuts for a custom standoff. Two nuts provided enough clearance for the PCBs so the wouldn't touch the sink. I would definitely recommend "dimpling" the sink with a hammer and punch to keep your drill bit from wandering before it bites into the sink. There is little recovery from a mounting hole that is off by 2mm.

Billy: that is one great looking integrated amp! I like the spacious chassis design. I was contemplating another ACA build with a DCB1 like you did.

Bert: thanks for the compliment! My daughter is thrilled with her amp and speakers! I just used one PS for both channels. If you wanted to make the two channels completely independent, you could use the power bricks. I don't see a huge benefit from separating things due to the relatively low power draw. Similarly, I don't find the need for any shielding with this design. The completed amp is VERY quiet as is. It has made me go back to my Aleph-X amps and rethink the power supply to reduce some speaker hum that I have. In all builds, you should isolate the RCA input barrels from the metal chassis with the plastic spacers that they come with. This will help reduce the potential for hum caused by ground loops, especially with more complex builds.

Bob: I've been admiring those CPU-sink mono block amps of your for some time now. If I am remembering correctly, toy reported some nice sound improvements with a more robust power supply.

Jason: it's good to hear that you are on the mend! Are there any plans to restock those great little 2U and 3U 200mm sinks in the store?

Last edited by Eric; 27th May 2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 27th May 2013, 02:29 PM   #1003
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Bob: I've been admiring those CPU-sink mono block amps of your for some time now. If I am remembering correctly, toy reported some nice sound improvements with a more robust power supply.........
Thanks, My impression is an increase in the general body/fullness and a slightly more engulfing image... both depth and width of stage. Not a lot but a definite improvement over the bricks.
Old 27th May 2013, 02:39 PM   #1004
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the added details, Bob! Curious, your impressions of a more robust power supply for the ACA mirror the impressions of those who have built a larger power supply for their DCB1 preamp. I feel a "Tim the Toolman Taylor" moment coming on: More Power!

One of these days I'll have to read my posts more carefully before I submit them. Darn iPad auto correct...
Old 28th May 2013, 11:22 AM   #1005
bkby is offline bkby  Thailand
diyAudio Member

My ACA
Click the image to open in full size.

Power By......

Teak Wood
Old 28th May 2013, 06:33 PM   #1006
billyk is offline billyk  United States
diyAudio Member

Very attractive, unique design!
How do you like the noise it makes?
Old 28th May 2013, 08:07 PM   #1007
WalterW is offline WalterW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Love it!
Very nice design and wood.
Old 28th May 2013, 11:35 PM   #1008
diyAudio Member

Love those wooden chasses! Interesting design with heat snk configuration. It looks like you can run bias a little higher than normal with sinks that large.

I also see you have some forced air as a backup plan
Old 29th May 2013, 04:39 PM   #1009
diyAudio Member

A general question to bkby and others here about the ACA.

bkby how hot do the heatsinks get on yours?

I am about to build the kit I received from the diyaudio.com store and was wondering about the heatsinks for the ACA; can I go horizontal versus vertical?

I have read and re-read the many threads about orientation of the fins and most are for the larger F5 (and variants) and the other Pass Labs Fx amplifiers. But for the ACA, it is smaller in terms of output and heat, so how much difference would it make? Is it negligible enough to go either way?

I was planning a single chassis unit with both sides being built on a single kind of tall and wide piece of heat sink running across the back of the unit as Plan A and a transformer in the front half of the unit supplying both boards and outputs coming from the front or recessed at an angle from the top of the chassis.
Old 29th May 2013, 06:47 PM   #1010
bkby is offline bkby  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Zink is 12 cm X 13 cm deep 3 cm

It's very very hot. (60c-70c) But this work. (I'm burning my ACA everyday 10-15hr/day. )

I plan to change the chasses to Aluminium Big chasses (11" X 6" Deep 3")

Coming Soon

Hide this!Advertise here!