Fairchild interest.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Let's give it go this way: The first spreadsheet column says "FQA pair of matched N and P (4 total)" So, I want to build at least a couple std. F5s for myself (rear channels for the HT) etc., and a couple for friends that love their sound system, we ride and imbibe and screw off together etc. That's 4 sets, but these devices are going away, I need future stock, double that! That's 8 sets. Well I don't know what's really going to come up, better tripple that. 12 Sets! I'm not buying up the supply like some people.
I also want to build a couple F4-BA2 type blocks. The second column says "FQA quad of matched N and P (8 total)" well for a bigger F4 or a BA2 you need 2 sets of theses. A couple amps need 4 sets. Lets double that...
So, 12 sets of 2Prs and 8sets of quads. Or whatever these guys are calling them. I'm just going for about 3 times what I need, which might be good if the newer xistors become more attractive in a year or 2??? I don't think I'm hording???
Does my math sound right?
I did not mention I like a center Bass channel a 2 channel midrange and a stereo tweeter channel. That is basically 2.5 stereo Amps for 1 system. What if that were HT!!! Add another rear stereo amp for 5.1 and...

you know flg, you make a compelling argument, better make that 16 sets T :D

joking, but i might add 2 sets of quads (8 x N and 8 x P) I need to think about that though. how many do you think you'll have, should i just reserve them now and let them go if i dont really need them? lol i would go for more if i could just get N channel sets, but complimentary leaves me wanting to do a big BA3 and i have to say given the state of my workshop and the number of open projects this scares me a little

Last edited:
you know flg, you make a compelling argument, better make that 16 sets T :D

joking, but i might add 2 sets of quads (8 x N and 8 x P) I need to think about that though. how many do you think you'll have, should i just reserve them now and let them go if i dont really need them? lol i would go for more if i could just get N channel sets, but complimentary leaves me wanting to do a big BA3 and i have to say given the state of my workshop and the number of open projects this scares me a little

Are you shure?:rolleyes:

Why miss out on making the balanced version of the supped up version :D

And why not by amp your speakers while you there :D

Yeah I know but tomorow.....

haha, you misunderstand; i already have 2 channels AJX, 2 channels semisouth circlotron, 4 channels 'the wire' lateral fet, 2 channels 'the wire LPUHP' and various experiments along with tri-differential sabre dac in various stages of completion for 3 way biamped digitally crossed mains with stereo subs, plus spare amps to mix and match till I eventually make some rear full rangers.

now do you see?

so while i'm not sure, its only because i'm sick that i'm buying these at all

Joined 2003
Paid Member
having a little trouble with spread sheet, error likely with me!

I want 1 matched quad (8 pieces total) and one sextet, (12 pieces total) thanks!

Russellc

Well it looks like it worked, I believe I'm set for the quad for 8 pieces total, for two channels of F-5 with double (4) outputs, and the sextet for two channels of BA-3, 6 devices per channel. If I have mis ordered, please adjust order to fit these two projects. I think I did it all right. Thanks.

Russellc

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi guys,
The original intent was assumping that these packages would represent one channel of what you wanted to buy, unless you wanted both channels to have similar vgs measurements. Remember, matching's goal here is to most effectively load share current on any given + or - rail. So matching between channels in my mind is of limited value.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
1 quad is 4 matched N pieces, 4 matched P pieces.
This is enough to do one channel of F5v3 one channel, or two F2v2 both channels. Mind you it will be cheaper to order two pairs instead.
A sextet would be an oddball for F5's, but is 6 matched devices per rail. But is you wanted to do a BA2 with two output boards each channel, you would want two of these.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.