F5 Turbo Circuit Boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So....

I'm patiently waiting for volunteers for the test builds.

Come on guys!!

This build is no small task and I am saving up for heatsinks and transformers and other stuff. I can't plunk down $1K to $2K right now all at once, the wife might notice. :D

Besides I will build the V2 first.:spin: Even that will be a few months in the making, for me and the time I have to put into it.

I guess the reason I am writing this, is I feel bad no one is jumping at this opportunity and I really don't want this to die!

Rush

So....

I'm patiently waiting for volunteers for the test builds.

Come on guys!!

I would like to prototype 2 configurations, in priority order:

1. A balanced V2 using 4 x single FET output boards and the balanced input board.

2. The combined V2 combo board

I will test with bench power supplies, but I wouldn't object to testing a power supply board.

It might be a while before I complete all of these tests. If there is a shortage of boards for testing, my list is in order of preference.

1. A balanced V2 using 4 x single FET output boards and the balanced input board.

I will test with bench power supplies, but I wouldn't object to testing a power supply board.

It might be a while before I complete all of these tests. If there is a shortage of boards for testing, my list is in order of preference.

I forgot to mention that my interest is not so much for high output power, but for low noise and distortion. I would like a 2nd generation balanced F5. I am not really interested testing in the Turbo diodes.

The EUVL F5X is a single board (except for the power supply) and requires a particular size of heatsink and case. There is not as much flexibility is packaging as for the multiple board amplifier "family" using your boards.

I have been doing SPICE simulations of the X-topology vs Nelson's balanced option. The distortion figures are about the same. Both will work with single-ended inputs, but the output voltage is about 30% lower on the side with the grounded input. Thus, I do not see a strong reason to worry about implementing the X, versus Nelson's floating node. One switch to ground the node converts the system to a pair of unbalanced amplifiers.

I found earlier posts about SPICE simulation of X vs balanced (Zinsula):

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/121228-f5-power-amplifier-120.html#post1538833

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/121228-f5-power-amplifier-13.html#post1485677

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Joined 2002
Paid Member
^^Andy, I may have to drop my interest and opt for the F5Vc boards from the DIYA store, those have the devices spaced exactly as I need them to be and away from the input stage. They don't have the room for the diodes but this is DIY so I'll probably mount them underneath the board.

I really appreciate the effort you're putting in to make this happen and I know it's impossible to please everybody - since the majority seem to want the devices placed this way, you should stick with it :)

Sangram

Your option 1 is very similar to what I am wanting to build (except I would be using 8 single FET output boards per channel). I've realized that I don't need to cascode as the rails on the balanced build are going to be half that of an equivalent power single-end amp. I'm thinking of shooting for +/-24V rails which should be well within the safe limit for the JFETs.

Your option 1 is very similar to what I am wanting to build (except I would be using 8 single FET output boards per channel). I've realized that I don't need to cascode as the rails on the balanced build are going to be half that of an equivalent power single-end amp. I'm thinking of shooting for +/-24V rails which should be well within the safe limit for the JFETs.

I have ideas for 3 versions of the balanced F5T:

1. Balanced stereo at 46W/channel using 2 x 1/2 E007 heatsink with fan as shown in http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/121228-f5-power-amplifier-1021.html#post2453420.
  2. Balanced stereo at 100W/channel using 2 x E007 heatsinks fin-to-fin with 2 fans.
  3. Balanced monoblock at 200W/channel using 2 x E007 heatsinks fin-to-fin with 2 fans.

Heatsink Sim

Hey Ihquam,
I was thinking about up a similar forced air build. Where did you get the heatsink simulation software from?
Thanks,
Steve

Here is a heatsink simulation based on using 1-1/2 HeatsinkUSA E007.
Unfortunately, HeatsinkUSA doesn't make anything wider than 256 mm, so I cut one E007 in half and weld it to a full E007 to make a 36 fin 384 wide. The resulting heatsink is 384 mm (W) x 130 mm (L) x 74 mm (H), with a baseplate thickness of 9.5 mm and has 36 fins. Too bad that such a heatsink isn't available off-the-shelf.

The simulation assumes 8 MOSFETs dissipating 22 watts each spaced according to the F5-Turbo-v2/3 layout. I also assume FORCED CONVECTION. The image shows the heat rise using .693 m/s air flow rate. Looks pretty good.

I imagine assembling two such heatsinks with the fins facing each other and using 3x 120mm low-noise fans in the same manner I used with the F5 shown HERE: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/121228-f5-power-amplifier-1021.html#post2453420

Toecutter,
I was intending the V3 build as a long term project as the build cost is looking some what.......large.
I dont know what kinda beta testing time frame you would be looking at, but I'm willing to beta a V2 build, if you want to talk more I'll shoot you a pm with my email addy.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Prototyping doesn't necessarily mean doing everything all nice and tidy.
If you can get the front end, and maybe a pair of outputs working on a channel with a MUR3020, I say it's good to go.
Some of it is about component stuffing to make sure things in reality put together fairly easily and precisely.

Aye Tea-Bag (love the id btw (being a yorkshire man and all)).......I've done proto work on 2 and 4 stroke porting, but its been a while since I've built an amp. V2 would allow me to help proto and if it works as a single channel, i'd have a ps only needing a second channel to be added.
My offer still stands.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

As excited as I am about this project, I confess that my confusion about how to heatsink a 100w/ch F5T is leading me to second-guess reserving V3 Output Boards; perhaps using the single FET output boards and spreading the heat across a larger physical space would be a more stable solution (but who needs a pair of HiFi2000 5U 500mm monoblock amps?). I've been spending a lot of time trying to identify adequate cost-effective solutions but am hampered by massive ignorance. My hope is that those of you who know what you are doing can provide some heatsinking guidance before Andy closes his pending group buy.

Regards,
Scott

I'm thinking of shooting for around 100W into 8 ohms Class A with my balanced mono-blocks. Going balanced makes it a bit easier.
Hi Horio,

I'm probably wrong here, but at given heatsink capacity and given transformer VA rating, wouldn't single ended better in getting higher class A power, while balanced better in getting better overall power? Even though you get to use lower rail voltage at given overall taget power with balanced so higher bias current per device at given heatsink and transformer capacity, in SE mode 4 pairs of devices are in pararell adding up the current, while in balance mode there are only 2 of 2 pair devices in parallel to add the current against speakers? I'd appreciate your correction if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.