L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So, 1.5 amp bias stays infallible up to 8-10W power output? Then I can show a ~ 1.7 A shunt reg, stable with rugged TO-247 mosfets and only 20% of an ampere margin to burn on its own sinks.

No, I thought you were suggesting using the resistor (load) with a regulated supply. The current is higher with the resistor version, around 2.5A.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No, I thought you were suggesting using the resistor (load) with a regulated supply. The current is higher with the resistor version, around 2.5A.

I can give any PSU current, the key is the most heat goes to the amp anyway so the shunt burns only a small safety margin. It has its own CCS that will burn the full amperage but only at ~5V Vin-Vout potential. So, resistive loading consumption is 30V @ 2.5A. What are the magnetic wire spool choke load settings?

Inductors seem natural enough to me. Electrical-magnetic includes both electricity and magnetism. These are fundamentally differentiated aspects of the EM spectrum, and to my mind must perform different functions in respect of the entire function called EM. The best way get sound is quite evidently via both these interacting together. No wonder inductors "sound" in some identifiable way. Like nothing else, really, right? Balance!