Burning Amp BA-3

Why 24V vs 32V rails? Isn't more rail voltage just "better" except for the risk to the Jfets? (Slightly) more power and less distortion, right?

On my F5 I am considering going from a single 18+18 transformer to dual mono 32V rails (. I am not concerned about too much voltage on the Jfets, it's a risk I will take. What's the downside?

what do you think of these transformers? I will run them at 115, not 230, so half the VA.

Perhaps one per BA3 monoblock to drive an Altec Horn above 700 Hz? The horn is used in a home system, not in a club.

How much power would this 185VA produce? ( It would become something like a 37VCT, 2.5 amps/polarity ). Anything north of 20 watts would be amazing.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
If you use 2, one per channel, you will get at least 20W, probably quite a bit more. Current into lower impedance loads might be an issue, but with that kind of speaker, I doubt it will be any problem at all.

P.S., Did you mean to post a link? Can't see anything.

Hi guys, I got a question here. I was reading the F4 doc & saw that 2 F4 can be driven as parallel mono for 2 ohms load.

Can one config. the BA-3 likewise?

Assuming if it can, will 2 BA-3 (with 3 pairs output per channel) driven as parallel mono have any advantage vs one BA-3 with identical dual-mono power supply & 6 output pairs, in terms of distortion level, current output, etc?

I understand that when driven as mono parallel, both left/right channel must be well matched & balanced for optimal performance. Perhaps this is one advantage that a 6 pair channel has over it?

Hi ZM,

In post #1717 you suggested a 1000uf cap for the balanced board.

Can it be done on the SET board?

Attachments

• BASB v2.png
    BASB v2.png
    143.2 KB · Views: 370