Burning Amp BA-3

Giulio, I did what you are thinking about..almost. I started with two ba3 mono blocks, 4 pairs of outputs per amp. Listened for a while and then converted to balanced. Just as you are thinking I all ready had the matching ba3 front ends set up so the switch was easy.
I also use a clc filter and 800va transformers. A difference is my output devices are laterals biased at 1 amp each. 8 amps total per monoblock.
I like the sound of the balanced set up. I built up a volume control/input selector that has a pair of jensen transformers http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/11p1.pdf so I can plug in balanced and single ended sources.
Enjoy...Evan

Thank you Evan, that is really encouraging! What differences did you find out between SE and balanced? Did you play with P3?

At the moment I plan to use my DCB1 as volume control, which is SE. I will update to balanced that too if needed.

Balanced the sound seems a bit cleaner but in all fairness a direct a/b comparison was not possible. I have adjusted p3 by ear...turn pots one way listen turn pots other way listen...I need to equip myself for a more controlled approach to this.
My dac minidsp2x8 and amp that runs my woofers are all balanced. This as well as a need to tinker is what led me to the balanced ba3.

No... I'm not proud of how it looks...I planned to try it this way and if it sounded good box it up nicely...It sounds great. That was quite some time ago and I don't see having time to do more then listen for a while longer.
Evan

Attachments

• DSC02054.jpg
    DSC02054.jpg
    881.8 KB · Views: 542
Thamks - That looks super! If/when you have the time, it would be great to see a diagram of all the connections - particularly how you do the SE/Bal option. Is that simply two sets of jacks on each monoblock front end? I'm curious because you mentioned transformers incorporated in the system.

What is the minimum value for C3? I know that someone used smaller values than 10uF...
I would like to save some money, and going for nice a 5.6uF MKP; I have also the chance to parallel them with 2x 1uF surplus paper oil (I have a lot of them, so I can match them for the balanced operation). Total would be ~7.6uF

What signal do you want to pass through?
Decide what filter frequency you want to adopt to allow that signal to pass.
Some will use an F-3dB passive RC filter that is 1octave away from the passing signal.
Others will use an F-3dB that is 4octaves away.
I adopted 1decade (~3octaves)
You choose what you want.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it was obvious that Giulio doesn't know importance of (or how to determine) loading stage input impedance and that's why he's asking ..........

instead of punishing him with halfa$$ reply , specify what is meaning of

Some will use an F-3dB passive RC filter that is 1octave away from the passing signal

instead , you could use some energy to find first google hit and post link here

Giulio - here it is : Coupling Capacitor Calculator by V-Cap

edit :

http://tinyurl.com/lh4fzcj

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sorry, misunderstanding. Here the schematic http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/gallery/data/500/P-BAC-S4V20-schematic_2_.jpg, but mine is with 3 pairs.

Note: this schematic has errors (IRFP240 instead of IRFP9240 in lower half), other values are OK.

if you insert red marked cap , you'll not need BA3FE output cap - just short it

overall quality of signal path will be , say , even purer than in originating version

this way , it's same as "crippled F4" , even for untrained eye

:clown:

(input impedance is , say , 5K-ish and lower........ simple for deducing but I'm sorta short in time now - already spent it to editing of schm)

Attachments

• P-BAC-S4V20-schematic_2_.jpg
    P-BAC-S4V20-schematic_2_.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,019
it was obvious that Giulio doesn't know importance of (or how to determine) loading stage input impedance and that's why he's asking ..........

instead of punishing him with halfa$$ reply ,..............
"punishing him" No.
Getting him/her to ask themselves some relevant questions.

We cannot specify and should not specify, what bandwidth HIS/HER amplifier needs to pass.
Members need to evaluate that for themselves.

Hi guys,

I'm going to build Troels' DTQWT speaker which is 3 way 94db, but with impedance around 4 ohms. Below is the impedance chart.

dtqwt-sin-imp_1000pxw.png

I also plan to build the BA-3 to drive them, but what config should I build to optimize the amp for these 4 ohm speakers? Should I build the amp with the +/-24V or the +/-32V supply rail? I'm not looking for higher watts since the speakers are 94db, but would like more current to feed the 8" mid & 12" bass.

Also, I have the intention of building another amp & turn them into 2 mono blocks in balance mode as BBA-3s later on, so I guess I shld see power double up also.

I would like to gather your advice guys.