Burning Amp BA-3

Joined 2019
Paid Member
No apologies ever needed, sir!

That's why I always ask the clarifying questions and/or clarify what I mean when I use the term single-ended.

Do I/We mean that it's not a differential signal... which has nothing at all to do with the true meaning of 'balanced', but balanced gets substituted for differential...

and/or Do I/We mean that it's not a complimentary topology.

This audio crap is confusing. :joker:

Joined 2023
Paid Member
That's why I ask all the funny questions... and I try to be very specific in terminology....

Do you want to build (insert name of amplifier here) to accept a differential input (commonly called balanced)?

Yes, you can... but you need to be specific about what you want... :)
I'm trying. Unfortunately I don't always understand enough to provide a clear answer. I'll catch up eventually. Cheers! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Cool, well the thread is very much alive again thanks to you. It was a long nap.

Chime in with your progress when you get further along. The Aleph J is a sweet amp. This should definitely be different.

Running 32 volts, you are going to want the 5U chassis or just large heatsinks in general. What speakers are you powering with it?

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Not a worry in the world. This stuff is so fun, and soon you'll be building an amazing amplifier.

Just use 'plain terms' whenever you possibly can and be descriptive. Some of the technical terms (to me) aren't too useful at this point. As an example...

I want to build an amp that can take the XLR inputs from my mega-pre-amp and puts out a gazillion watts into 4 ohms b/c I'm running the super-zoom mega 18 speakers. Oh, and the amp can never-ever-ever transition to Class B. Never, nope, never. Oh... an no feedback on the input stage either...

That's a 'Balanced' Burning amp with BA-3 input stages and the single ended output stage. That's a heat providing gargantuan thing.

Vs.

I want to build a 'normal' BA-3 that takes the RCA inputs from my normal pre-amp. I've currently got a pair of X speakers, and my (insert current amp here) drives them perfectly well. I don't care if the output stage is complimentary / push-pull or whatever.

:) :)

Have fun and ask lots of questions.

Gotta get my soldering iron hot... and I saw that one more person already typed while I was typing. So many awesome people here to help you get exactly what you need.

Have fun!!!!

Joined 2023
Paid Member
Cool, well the thread is very much alive again thanks to you. It was a long nap.

Chime in with your progress when you get further along. The Aleph J is a sweet amp. This should definitely be different.

Running 32 volts, you are going to want the 5U chassis or just large heatsinks in general. What speakers are you powering with it?
I'm running Martin Logan Motion 60s. They're 4 ohms, but they're pretty efficient at 94 dB. I don't usually crank the volume, so the Aleph J sounds really nice with them despite the power loss using the low impedance drivers. I can easily pick out separate instruments in recordings that used to sound "blended" for lack of a better term. It doesn't sound as powerful as the F6 to my ears, but the music is more detailed. That really appeals to me. I'm hoping that the BA-3 zero feedback setup will provide even more of that.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Should be fun
I'm running Martin Logan Motion 60s. They're 4 ohms, but they're pretty efficient at 94 dB. I don't usually crank the volume, so the Aleph J sounds really nice with them despite the power loss using the low impedance drivers. I can easily pick out separate instruments in recordings that used to sound "blended" for lack of a better term. It doesn't sound as powerful as the F6 to my ears, but the music is more detailed. That really appeals to me. I'm hoping that the BA-3 zero feedback setup will provide even more of that.
There is something about a nice AMT. I haven't heard the ML 60's but they look like a nice design. Their suggestion of them being compatible with a 4, 6 or 8 ohm amplifier also suggests that they are an easy 4 ohm load.

I can see why the Aleph J is working for you. An Aleph 30+ with a JFET front end could give you what you are looking for but I think the BA-3 will be a great amp.