Burning Amp BA-3

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I built one of these a while ago and never got it working right. The first issue I have is too much voltage from my power supply and I am not sure what do with it or manage it. I was aiming for 32v rails, so I started with dual 24v transformer. I am using XRKs Smooth Like Butter power supply, and it was mentioned that the PS accounts for a 3v drop. Additionally, I read about Anteks and voltage sag under load, so I got an Antek dual 28v transformer. Two actually, since the amp is dual mono. Turns out, under load, I am getting 34 - 36v per rail. Unloaded, I get about 36-38v, with one rail even at 40v. The SLB PS does not have much voltage adjustment range, so either I need new transformers or I have to adjust the amp to account for it. Thoughts?

The other issue is a pulsing noise coming from the voltage stage but I will come back to that later.
I built mine with 24 + 24 and ended up at 31 volt rails.

russellc

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, just a quick update.

I don't like leaving my questions I post without conclusions in case something in them is helpful to others. I had posted on 9/12, post 2413, some questions. The official conclusion to them is that I had one bad transistor in the cap mx section the SLB power supply which led to too high voltage on one rail. Overall, my power supplies deliver 34.2 volts instead of the 32 I was planning for, so I'm addressing that with a RC in series/parallel with each rail on the FE board to bring the voltage into a safer range. The voltage regulators I had bought on Amazon were too cheap and hardly reliable. Last, I had an odd pulsing noise coming from both output stages which was fixed after I replaced the output transistors. Maybe one day I will figure out which ones are bad out of the 12.

Anyway, enjoy some pics of my amp (with its art deco faceplate) and the system it is powering. Best bass so far from anything I own, dead slient with the Smooth as Butter power supplies, -extremely- transparent. Wide, deep soundstage. I can even hear the floor of the recording venues sometimes now! These speakers are not the highest end that I have, so there’s much more to discover. The preamp above it is a BA-3 FE as well.

Home Setup 02.jpeg

Home Setup 03.jpeg

Home Setup 01.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2023
Paid Member
I just realized this thread has been idle for almost 9 months. Is there some reason people aren't building BA-3s other than scarce Toshiba 2SJ313/2SK2013 FETs?
This looks like a nice amp, and I love my recently completed Aleph J, so I thought I'd try my hand at building the BA-3 single-ended version. I have a few questions from the perspective of a non-electronics guy...
It was mentioned in the guide that output resistors can be lowered from 1R to R68 or R47 to increase output, and that 32V rails will decrease distortion and increase power. So, is it safe to do both with a single-ended setup? I ask because I didn't see it specifically mentioned in the Build Guide. What other mods will I need other than 35V caps and large heatsinks? Will trim pot values remain the same? I also assume I should run both the input and the output stage at 32V - is that correct?

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Which version specifically are you thinking of doing?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1006/5046/files/burning-amplifier-configurations.pdf

BA-3 front end with SE (BA-1) output?

You don't need the Toshiba parts for the BA-3 front-end, although many report that they are nice to use if you can get them. If not, there are plenty of common substitutes mentioned along with a change in the bias pot value (for the front end) depending on your choice. I built it both ways.

There's a ton of information in the BA-1 threads re: what you can do with the SE output stage. With that said, you should be totally fine lowering the source resistance with well-matched output devices and also running 32V rails.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I suspect people are just excited about all of the other projects going on around here. This is a nice circuit.

If you can get a hold of the j313/k2013 fets, they do sound nice. However, I am sure you have seen that there are other replacements that are more of a standard. You are going to need a good source and speakers to hear the differences. Prakit sells them. Worth the investment to have them around.

Assuming complimentary, with 0R47 resistors, your matching on the 240/9240's needs to be closer than with the 1R. Doing both 0R47 and 32 volts rails should be fine as well so long as your matches are good. Measure the MV across the source resistors after it is fired up and see how closely they are behaving to one another. This will also confirm all mosfets are working

I believe Pass used 1R because he wanted to allow some grace for the DIY crowd in case the matching of their mosfets were not that close.

Rhthatcher has closely matched devices at a reasonable price. I don't know how closely the store matches their mosfets.

If the bias range of the pot on the bias board is too low (again assuming complimentary) increase R128 a bit but I suspect it will be fine.

• Thank You
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Sorry, for clarity...

SE in these forums can mean two things...

Not balanced / Non differential

OR

What I'm meaning here.. The All N-channel single ended output stage vs. the complimentary stage.

Either way...

You can run lower source resistance with well-matched output devices, and 32V rails is no problem as long as you stay within the norms for dissipation / heat per device.

Joined 2023
Paid Member
I suspect people are just excited about all of the other projects going on around here. This is a nice circuit.

If you can get a hold of the j313/k2013 fets, they do sound nice. However, I am sure you have seen that there are other replacements that are more of a standard. You are going to need a good source and speakers to hear the differences. Prakit sells them. Worth the investment to have them around.

Assuming complimentary, with 0R47 resistors, your matching on the 240/9240's needs to be closer than with the 1R. Doing both 0R47 and 32 volts rails should be fine as well so long as your matches are good. Measure the MV across the source resistors after it is fired up and see how closely they are behaving to one another. This will also confirm all mosfets are working

I believe Pass used 1R because he wanted to allow some grace for the DIY crowd in case the matching of their mosfets were not that close.

Rhthatcher has closely matched devices at a reasonable price. I don't know how closely the store matches their mosfets.

If the bias range of the pot on the bias board is too low (again assuming complimentary) increase R128 a bit but I suspect it will be fine.
I'm getting the j313/k2013s from user prakit, who seems to be a reputable source from what I've read. I am getting the MOSFETs from Randy, as you suggested. Am I supposed to use all 240s for the SE setup, or should I use the complimentary pairs?
Thank you very much for your help!

Joined 2023
Paid Member
Sorry, for clarity...

SE in these forums can mean two things...

Not balanced / Non differential

OR

What I'm meaning here.. The All N-channel single ended output stage vs. the complimentary stage.

Either way...

You can run lower source resistance with well-matched output devices, and 32V rails is no problem as long as you stay within the norms for dissipation / heat per device.
All N-channel. I think you just answered my last question too.