Balanced F5 question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please pardon my ignorance here, still catching up on the thread - why is a 500VA, 16A txr required for each channel?
If custom made, would 2 X 300, 400, etc VA units or one larger single unit, if space permits, do the job?

I generally use the EI core trannies, but are much larger (and expensive) than the T's.

Total dissipation per channel is 128W. Dropout loss in regulator or CRC 24W. Diode loss 16W. Min power requirement per channel = 168W. Factor of 3 to allow for high ripple current of Class A amp (see NP articles) = 504VA. Actually 0.8% undersized.

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_power_supplies.pdf

Case design has 350mm overall width. Conrad heatsinks 2x48mm. Some room for PCBs, wiring, etc, 2x50mm. Maximum width (diameter) of Tx = 154mm. Fits most commercially available 500VA Tx with about 5mm space left both sides.

Of course you can make your own decisions. That's why I said exemplary.

Patrick

Last edited:
Hi there

I have been away for a while but not to far.

Enclosed copy of a first draft of the balanced F5 Triple
loads to do as make second half of pcb fatten & route tracks

Suply voltagge planed at 28V rails so components need sizing up

I have retained Nelson numbering.

AL

Attachments

• F5 TRiple Balanced HALF PCB.doc
    52 KB · Views: 253
Total dissipation per channel is 128W. Dropout loss in regulator or CRC 24W. Diode loss 16W. Min power requirement per channel = 168W. Factor of 3 to allow for high ripple current of Class A amp (see NP articles) = 504VA. Actually 0.8% undersized.

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_power_supplies.pdf

Case design has 350mm overall width. Conrad heatsinks 2x48mm. Some room for PCBs, wiring, etc, 2x50mm. Maximum width (diameter) of Tx = 154mm. Fits most commercially available 500VA Tx with about 5mm space left both sides.

Of course you can make your own decisions. That's why I said exemplary.

Patrick

do remember that richard makes these custom, so if the perfect number is 504va, ask him for 504va, i'm sure he will do it for the same price

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.