Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier - Page 182 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2013, 01:31 PM   #1811
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by john65b View Post
Air conditioner condenser fans are mounted on top, sucking air through the coils
Think moisture.
Old 2nd April 2013, 01:42 PM   #1812
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

depends on what you want

1. blowing cool air directly on a small surface

2.removing hot air from a space
Old 2nd April 2013, 02:08 PM   #1813
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regiregi22 View Post
Has anyone noticed that fans (at least, all the ones I've seen until now) blow air in the direction of the sticker/frame? So, as seen in the pictures, that fan is blowing air into the case from the top cover.

Have you checked that?

Just out of curiosity, then why almost all elec. equip. use to mount fans sucking air out of the enclosure?
We had a whole discussion of this a few posts back. The reason why fans pull air out is that it is generally more efficient for the entire enclosure whereas blowing in cools parts directly in flow path of fan. Has advantage of not sucking dust into box by maintaining positive pressure if used with filter over fan inlet.
Old 2nd April 2013, 10:48 PM   #1814
diyAudio Member

Its not a amp but one of pass's other cool designs scaled down.....

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks for the rockin design, just wish I could build it full size, but the space isn't their....
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:24 AM   #1815
diyAudio Member

wery cool and a little more convenient for normal households the original damands a lot of Space
Old 4th April 2013, 11:34 PM   #1816
diyAudio Member

Of the many experiences I had with fans, this is the one that gives better results.

A rear blower 80 to draw air, and two fans 92 to provide air channels to the pcbs.

Fans DBs are low, 10 and 17dBs.

One thing I discovered, if you connect a sensor F5T temps and only when it is hot it turns the fans, takes a long time to cool down.

I removed the sensor, when I turn the F5T the fans start to spin, then the temps will keep a long time with very reasonable temperatures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fan1.jpg (417.1 KB, 1287 views)
File Type: jpg Fan.jpg (168.2 KB, 1093 views)
Old 5th April 2013, 08:44 AM   #1817
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
depends on what you want

1. blowing cool air directly on a small surface

2.removing hot air from a space
I think general situation in our conventional class A amp designs is option 2, right? We use to spread trannies along big heatsinks with a big area. Heat is more or less the same along the whole internal enclosure area (after a considerable amount of time needed to stabilize temps, lets say, one hour?). My point is that there are no real hotspots, my class A amps are hot anywhere, including front handles if they're installed!
I have measured with my IR thermometer that difference betweent the hottest and the coldest spot along the whole amplifier is no more than 10º.
Using an small heatsink installed inside the enclosure for the purpose of being active refrigerated is a whole different point, so option 1 would apply.

Sorry guys, xrk971, for being late to the discussion, I didn't see there were two more pages of discussion messy head I have....

Oh, and as a side effect, if you put a filter in a fan blowing air out, you have a permanent steady vacuum cleaner that may aid to keep your room cleaner
Old 6th April 2013, 04:14 AM   #1818
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie View Post

Thanks for the rockin design, just wish I could build it full size, but the space isn't their....
What is that it looks really cool, how big is the original. I take it that is a full range driver. How does it sound.
Old 6th April 2013, 04:25 AM   #1819
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie View Post

Did you make this out of foam core? Very cool, I have been thinking of doing a very similar design. If it is foam core did you know that you can produce beautiful smooth bends with it by scoring the concave side to pierce the paper?

See this thread Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?
Old 6th April 2013, 04:47 AM   #1820
diyAudio Member

Thanks man, here's the real one, It's huge!

http://www.mh-audio.nl/Downloads/KleinHorn.pdf

the whole thing is foam board, I wanted to test it before i build one out of wood, because i had no idea how it would sound scaled down. for the bends i did score it, but i put the score mark's on the outside so that the inside was completely smooth.

The drivers were given to me by a friend and have no marks but they rock, since this pic I've added a phase plug and have been messing with a wizzer cone, not successfully yet though.

The sound, is just great, they do nothing offensive, they can't go supper low, nor really high, but the mid range is magical. I'm just curious what the real one sound like compared to my cheap copy. There also just great for movies if you add a sub. Just so spaceish sounding its crazy.

Unfortunately they're just so ugly that they're going back in the basement...

Hide this!Advertise here!