Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

I have populated M2 boards months ago, but too lazy to take out AlephJ board from chasssis. I thought M2 pcb need extra holes, but today I realize that i was wrong, I can put M2 directly to the same UMS holes that I have drilled :p

Before taking out AJ to be replaced by M2, once again I want to compare AJ and J2 side by side where AJ is connected to left speaker and J2 on the right side. my ears say that AJ has a sharper high, where J2 has a smoother high, and J2 produce better vocal. J2 is the winner here. Now AJ will be an orphan board without chassis.

Now it's time for the moment of truth, J2 vs M2, SE vs PP. my speaker is Alpair10 using temporary floorstander box, tweeter is used with 1uf caps in series.

I played several Audiophile songs, for sure they are good recording, I switch between M2 and J2 for several times (that's how separate chassis play his role, I still can't find why I should keep M2 :bomb: J2 again wins on impressive and smooth high, nice vocal, low bass seems on the same level.

I think it's time to change the songs, play non-Audiophile recording.

Started with Coldplay (Ink & Sky full of starts), now with fast beat music, M2 give better low bass control, J2 seems lagging.
played Offspring (Want You Bad & Why Don't You Get a Job), with faster music, M2 wins here :D

Attachments

• IMG_20160814_112707_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160814_112707_HDR.jpg
    1,014.9 KB · Views: 1,581
  • IMG_20160814_155341_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160814_155341_HDR.jpg
    928.7 KB · Views: 1,362
  • IMG_20160814_155253_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160814_155253_HDR.jpg
    917.8 KB · Views: 1,314
  • IMG_20160814_161631_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160814_161631_HDR.jpg
    955.9 KB · Views: 1,257
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
difference between them is matter of taste , not quality per se

however , my taste is leaning on side of pure and genius simplicity - M2 , even if I'm also heavily biased for J , all along from first yore Babelfish J

simply - there is absolutely nothing to Babelfish in M2 :bawling:

(disclaimer - both properly set , I have impression that my Babel J (v2) is somewhat better than "common" DIY Aleph J ; probably due to non doubled outputs and few small other tricks involved)

Last edited:
Such a beauty Gadut.
thanks, eventhough the pictures are ugly using smarphone in low light room. I wish i still had my Nikon D90+fix 50mm which was sold to start diy years ago 😞
difference between them is matter of taste , not quality per se

however , my taste is leaning on side of pure and genius simplicity - M2 , even if I'm also heavily biased for J , all along from first yore Babelfish J

simply - there is absolutely nothing to Babelfish in M2 :bawling:

(disclaimer - both properly set , I have impression that my Babel J (v2) is somewhat better than "common" DIY Aleph J ; probably due to non doubled outputs and few small other tricks involved)
its like when you are asked to choose who will be next miss universe among those most beautifull girls around the world :D

Papa has given his beauty amplifier design, any choice will not go wrong. i just think that my current speaker is the bottleneck. i'm thinking of using 2 18" bass, 15" mid + horn tweeter, just like my neighbour who has PA business. he does not have any fancy amplification, only using chead cd player, very standard amplifier but the sound of those beast speaker is amazing, non fatigue listening even on high volume.

During hard rainy day, i have tested to fully turn dcb1 volume to J2, and what I hear is not something enjoyable at all :(

My first F5 build, just finished it. It sounds fantastic! Listening to it through the Woden Falcons sitting on top of the big red bins(used in another system).

CD player -> diy B1 -> F5

Some pics:

Underneath the perforated bottom plate. I turned it upside down and made some spacers so I could put as much power wiring underneath it as possible:

IMG_3198_zpsxbjwjdcc.jpg

Interior shot while I was biasing:

IMG_3243_zpsjywpqpaz.jpg

IMG_3245_zps69e0vejb.jpg

IMG_3246_zpsoib2r3yp.jpg

BA3 Balanced Pre

Some highlights:

Dual mono everything separate except the AC power

Salas BIIB regulators

Series/ shunt attenuator with shunt deck in between + and - phases of each channel inputs of board.
SE is selected by switch that grounds - phase of each channel. You may observe that I do not have a series resistor wired to the - phase since I am using it in SE input mode as of now.
There is no output capacitor since I am using a Jensen JT11P1 input capacitor at the power amp.

I thought that my Dave Slagle based AVC was very good but this is better in every respect.

Thank you to all who have helped and especially to "The One and Only".

nash

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    585.8 KB · Views: 1,537
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    610.9 KB · Views: 659
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    573.1 KB · Views: 673
Amp Camp Amp

I roughed it out on a cutting board just to hold things in place so I could hear what it sounds like and the look kind of grew on me. The sound is really amazing and I'm a tube amp guy but really just like building anything.
Now I just have to rearrange a room so I can fit speakers and it and work on the next project... F6..?

Attachments

• aca.jpg
    aca.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 954
As a followup note for any considering the amp camp amp: My concern when building it was if the end quality would be worth the expense of buying the full kit, to me it definitely would have been. Buying the full kit not only saves from the 'woops, I forgot a part now I get to wait and pay more shipping' but also would end up with a really high quality looking amp.