F5 Listening Impressions & Discussion

Just remember as we have discussed earlier - FQA and IRF are drop in replacements in the stock F5, but Toshibas require some fooling around with values. (Don't ask me what needs to be changed because I have not tried yet)

Hi,

Actually, the Toshibas will work with the stock values:). It does bias up very quickly, so using less than the 1.5K equivalent (for P1/R3 and P2/R4) and/or lowering the mosfet source resistors (R11/R12) may be helpful. EUVL/Patrick also suggested using JFets (Q1/Q2) with lowish Idss (about 6 or 7, perhaps GR grade here?).

Hi

I will hopefully have all of the parts to start building my F5 in a week or two.

What type of hook-up wire would you recommend for signal and power?

Reasonably priced please!

Thanks

Very nice Belden teflon hook up wire for a bargain price.
18awg for power
22awg for signal.

Belden Hookup Wire, Teflon, Silver Coated, 18AWG, 83009 - eBay (item 320456104078 end time May-29-10 09:17:42 PDT)

Belden Hookup Wire Teflon, Silver Coated 22 AWG, 83006 - eBay (item 220520970852 end time Jun-01-10 09:41:17 PDT)

Right away the difference in amps is apparent. The low end is just a tad more taught, the overall impression is that things are a bit more pure. A more "natural sound", to coin a phrase.

Hi specialidiot,

I've got similar listening impressions during my comparison of an IRF and Toshiba based F5 one year ago. Based on this I decided to build Patrick's balanced version. Here are some pics:

F5 power amplifier - post #5659

I'm still happy with this amp :)

Uwe

For cheap signal wire try a strand from Cat5e cable.
for cheap and good signal wire try two strands of Cat5. every circuit needs a flow and return.
No return = no circuit = no work.

I recently tried a star quad using 4 cores of Cat5
Each channel is 2.7m long and passes over speaker cables and mains power cables and a transformer. It seems to be very tolerant of extraneous noises.

At great risk of peril to myself and my non-reputation, I'll say that when I switched from 12ga. stranded copper (very very many strands) to Audio-quest Gibraltar solid core, 2 x 20 AWG, 2 x 17 AWG (treble group) / 2 x 19 AWG, 2 x 16 AWG (bass group), my mind told me I heard a difference. Tighter bass and less siblance.
Yes, I'll agree this could totally be self induced hysteria. My hearing is not that good anyway. I am no Golden-ear.

I ran this to my Passive X-overs which do not share the ground (return) except at the RCA jack. From the X-overs to the speakers I ran 14ga. solid copper to the Bass and 20ga. solid silver to the treble. I have set the speakers up for bi-amping / active crossovers (perhaps) in the future.
I like the solid core better. Is it better? I dunno. It could actually be worse! But to my old ears it sounds better, and to me, that's what counts.

Here's a thought, perhaps when we say better, it is simply because that particular range of Hz is what our ears pick up on better. just a thought.

Ron