F5 Listening Impressions & Discussion

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi Umut1001, do you have high or low efficiency speakers? And, are you listening really loud or not so much? Reason being that low-eff speakers and high volume will cause a larger swing along the transfer curve, and consequently the impact of the bias setting will be more important compared to e.g. using horns at 100dB/W and low volumes....

Hey,4 sure performance is itighlty independant from speakers.Mine are 6 ohm bass 92-97db,4ohm 90db mid,8ohm treble 92db.SO very difficult to match,but i got very good performance with my hiraga le monstre 13vdc and 0,6A :D And i can make much worse performance with 1,5A and F5. Who can explain this? I guess it's all about schematics,parts,psichology and some other 100 reasons...
I also must admit,when i used IRF with 50ohm feedback resistors amp was analytical,now with 65ohm it's "like tube sound" i guess it's because distortion and changed harmonics,and cheap paralleled resistor...

Hi Umut1001, do you have high or low efficiency speakers? And, are you listening really loud or not so much? Reason being that low-eff speakers and high volume will cause a larger swing along the transfer curve, and consequently the impact of the bias setting will be more important compared to e.g. using horns at 100dB/W and low volumes....

Hi.My speakers are about 20cm 92db german nokia and tweeter is 94db westra.I think VxI should be about 70watt max.I think F5 amp can not work as same as ab amplifiers.They can perform good with very low bias but F5 does not work well at low bias.(about 30-40ma)This is my practise.Thanks

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
but i got very good performance with my hiraga le monstre 13vdc and 0,6A :D

My mentor always claimed that his pepped up balanced Monster was the best amp in the world
Well, that was before FirstWatt saw the day of light :D

Whatever, your Monster is a fine amp, if your speakers are right
Which they seem to be in your case
Maybe you just have the perfect synergy match with your Monster
Such will be hard to beat

btw, Monster is classA too... 8watt, and originally designed to sound like the best single ended triode tubes

If you want a direct replacement you might need the FirstWatt J2

Joined 2004
Paid Member
.....At the same time, the output devices interact, and when the bias gets lower and lower you may drive the lesser-conducting device into a part of its transfer curve where it gets starved for current - consequently, producing probably more distortion than the (DC) bias point would indicate......
I think it's almost intuitive that performance goes down (distortion increases) with reduced bias. But I went back and read NP's 'Leaving Class A' paper again, and it suggests performance (low distortion) keeps improving with increased bias (for class A and AB), and it doesn't go down again at any point, so no sweet spot?

Hi.Here is the picture of my trying

Attachments

• F5 silmic.JPG
    F5 silmic.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 710
Last edited:
No it does not.Firstly you have to learn to calculate filtering at speakers.There must be a capacitor in series tweeter everyway.(if you do not use active preamp at the input of the amplifier)
For example if you have 4.7uf capacitor and if you connect 2000uf capacitor in series it is the formula
1/C(equivalent)=1/4.7 + 1/2000 = 4.68uf nearly changes nothing at phase

Last edited: