B1 Power Supply Options

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Your suggestion are much appreciated, but since I am still at a rather basic level with electronics, it would probably be best to start simple, and not get involved in LED stacking and component matching just yet.. For the original design B1, I have my eye on a single ended regulation with LM317 (see pic). It is 10 usd from a reputable ebay seller, and have decent quality components, as far as I can tell (the similar units with no-name caps etc are 4-5 usd). So that should be a good starting point, and I can focus on making the B1 board :)

Then I can always upgrade, and try different, and more advanced solutions. I am quite tempted by the DCB1 design, so I could do that as next project perhaps - but also have that F6 to build... :p

In any case, I am slowly starting to grasp the complexities in the whole single ended vs. symmetrical, and cap buffer vs. DC coupled issue. Makes me want to solder some stuff you know ;)

Attachments

• A-230 LM317_pic.JPG
    A-230 LM317_pic.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 279
"Good enough for rock'n'roll" meaning they are more than good enough in my opinion. Also for classical music @ 24/192. The B1 is simple so I choose a simple regulator, but in my opinion a better solution than a wall wart. You could of course go for some more complicated regulators like Borbely All-FET or similar. But it will increase cost, and maybe not give you much in return. LM317 ain't that bad either.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
@jvbh: Fair enough, if you are dipping a first toe, build as close to spec as you can, then mod as you get more experienced/brave. The B1 even works with a laptop PSU well enough, so you have lots of easy start options.

@R-K R: Ah misunderstood you. We are on the same page

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.