Building a symmetrical PSU B1 buffer

I ended up running 116mA and 122mA, with 3x51ohm resistors. Last time I measured the heatsinks, after running them in the completely sealed case, they were 65-68 degrees. In open air they run at around 45 degrees I believe. They're surprisingly effective. After punching a few small holes in the case, for some basic air circulation, I'm guessing they're somewhere around 50, maybe even lower. Completely sealed cases aren't good for you :)

I wish I'd go over 250mA, but I'll leave that for the second board and some proper heatsinking. Not to mention this trafo wouldn't cope with that anyway.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Another...

Mine is installed, works well...
(in a fleabay chassi)

Arne K

Attachments

• B1-dc 1.JPG
    B1-dc 1.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 847
  • B1-cd-a.JPG
    B1-cd-a.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 819
Hi Salas

I'm currently hotrodding a blk Hypno board using 2 x 20 ohms/2 W resistors (after 30 min body temp 47°)
VDC in 16.96/16.96, R1 drop 2.21/2.19 V, VDC out +10.47/- 9.92 V
CCS Mosfet cases reached a temp of about 31-32° (lid open, ambient 22°), meaning that my homebrewed heatsinks work (they become barely warm).

2 questions:
There's any real advantage to go further? I mean dropping a bit more R1 value? I read something about 8.2 ohms..... I might add a third 47 ohms resistor. The recifiers are 1.1 A Schottky and the Xfrm is a 12+12 VAC/48VA

Should I also connect the 2SK170 in the positive Vref CCS in the "orthodox way" (GS tied instead of GD) as in the new Hypno Blue Edition? I'm using a Wima MKP2 0.22uF for Vref leds bypassing.

Thank you!

With R1 being 10ohm, and drop being 2.20, you're running 220mA current trough the CSS MOSFET. IIRC, 200-250mA was the first point where you get benefit, 1A being the next.. Scratch that, see Salas below.

As Rod Elliot wrote - "They like to run hot" (and that's highly biased, not deliberattely frying them). Unless you want to really boost the current you've got right now, there might be little point in increasing it. And you'll need to boost your rectifiers and your transformer at one point. Am I correct in this - the info was spread over many threads, and I can't find the posts for reference right now.

That being said, a little more current won't hurt you. I am perfectly happy with 120mA though.

Last edited:
Please bear with me as i am quite new to all this.

There is a group buy going on, for two versions of the B1. The hot rod Hypno and the Mezmerize.
I would like the Mezmerize board because of the multiple inputs. But i see that there is not a lot of interest so there is a chance, the Mez will not ship.
So the other option is the Hypnotize which offers one input one output.

My possibly silly question is :

Assuming i have the Hypno board, if i feed the input from rca to a selector ( or relays ) then from the selector ( or relays ) to a pot and then from the pot to the boards input, wouldnt that work?Wouldnt that make it multiple inputs? Is it wrong? Is it not wrong but not suggested?

Thanks for any feedback.
Michael.

Omit output relay?

I don't have the necessary relays on hand and my amps already have a relay-delayed start on their outputs.

So I reckon its safe to bypass the relay in this case. Please confirm that the B1 does not emit some type of amp-killing signal when power is first applied.

Last edited: