The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I've never even been close to building a TT-base but it could be fun.

Similar to designing a mechanical counterpart to an amplifier. Many things to consider and many paths to explore. Once upon a time in another life I serviced TT's and things mechanical have always fascinated me. If I hadn't been forced to join the USN back in the dayz of the forced service draft I most likely would have become a mechanical engineer or metallurgist. :eek:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
What a good TT to build up from? I like the TransFi stuff you showed, Thomas, and building the plinth and such is not a problem. Not mechanically minded, but capable.

Ahhh - ya get into things like the plus and minus of belt drives - direct drives - idler wheel drives - inverted bearings - grease bearings - spindle and bearing micro-phonic vibrations and resonance - speed stability - effects of material expanding and contracting due to temperature or friction - motor cogging. - and the list goes on.

Making a turntable that plays is similar to making an amplifier that plays. Some designs play - and some designs play on a higher level. Some designs achieve that level of performance with complex and expensive design and manufacture (take a look at some of the high tech spindle bearings or tonearms) - and some go with the "less is more" school of thought.

Have you ever seen the "Altman" DIY TT on the web?
MAKE | The Altmann DIY turntable

I think that it a bunch cooler than the $100K ones out there. Besides - the reality of things is that on my budget - well it won't be the (no disrespect intended nor implied) $100k kinda thing. :cool:

I will do a thread when I get around to doing the TT tho. And fair warning - I'ma big dummy that duz goofy things. Just take a look at my goofy speakers...... :eek::eek::eek:

Attachments

• Walsh5 Remake Dec 2010.jpg
    Walsh5 Remake Dec 2010.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 2 Mambonied Pioneers 1 Heil and a bunch of SonoTube.jpg
    2 Mambonied Pioneers 1 Heil and a bunch of SonoTube.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 66
  • 29 March 07 Manfred with mock-up.jpg
    29 March 07 Manfred with mock-up.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 63
  • altmann_turntable.jpg
    altmann_turntable.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member

Attachments

• Steinway Lyngdorf - lifestyle2.jpg
    Steinway Lyngdorf - lifestyle2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 71
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I like the concept behind the linear tracking arm of TransFi. At least it makes since to my simple mind. I would love to watch big dummy thread unfold, so ill tune in.

@Jacco,
You got too much style. Is that AMT in box that is open on sides?

Linear tracking iz the ideal way to go - but it ain't easy so I will do both a DIY linear tracker az well az sum 9 inch and 12 inch (more or less) DIY swing arms.

I considered an anti-gravity laser type too - but I figure that the red dot would drive the dachshunds frigg'n nuts, and that would not be a good thing around a TT.

Annnnnnnnnnnd yes - that iza AMT 1C on the high end of things. The plant wuz located in Sacramento Cali (back in the day) and I got hooked on that driver (for one) and bought them just for old times sake. I still really like them because even after hour's of listening my ears don't get fatigued. The "open box" thingy is a version of a DIY Walsh driver.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
A pair of S15 or S15IW is a little over 4.5k (S15IW model is an In-Wall mounting type for boats)
Doing the sub's and electronics myself.

That iz a joke isn't it???? If they suggest that mounting them "In the Wall" on either side of the port hole I would suggest that you contact me for instructions..... I'll be glad to send you a template..... :D:D:D

Az for doing the sub's - you might need one of those to find your boat after the speaker install..... :headbash::headbash::headbash:

ps - considering your self admitted history of personal injury when using power tools would it be alright if I take out a life insurance policy with your name on it??? :D:D:D

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member

It took awhile for the page to translate and there are a lot of pic's listed without any thumbnails - but I think you were trying to point out this one?

There are a load of DIY arms out there - so pick your poison. Again - similar to amplifier design - a solution in one area usually results with problems in other area's.... It's a bit like squeezing a water balloon - what you move from one area winds up in another area - and if you squeeze to hard you are gonna wind up wet - and without any balloon at all.

To travel this path 1st pick your cartridge - then the arm and wiring. That will play into the phono cable and phono pre-amp. Now you need a platter, spindle, main bearing, drive interface (belt, idler wheel, DD etc.) and the fun just keeps going round and round..... which iz why I posted this spiral thingy the other day..... :D:D:D

Here iza a very tasty bread crumb - there iza a trail of 'em that lead to my spider web.....;)
Design Philosophy For Turntables: A Paper From Pierre Lurne Of Audiomeca

Attachments

• DIY Tonearm.jpg
    DIY Tonearm.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 58
  • spiral.gif
    spiral.gif
    198.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
How about a 50/50 split ? Eeeh, hang on, was that a smart thing to say ?

Tee-hee....... Sure - I'll go for that but ya gotta leave me the rest in your will....;)

Music server, preamp, Lyngdorf RP1, Hypex & Class A* power amps, S15 & Subwoofers. (* GK's A+ downsized)

Class A amps (they use 200 watt amps in the article) onna boat???? Well - on the good side of things I guess that you won't have to worry about going out and chipping any ice off of the deck!!! :D:D:D

One the bad side of things you are gonna lose some space when you put in the extra generator to run the amps.... :headbash::headbash::headbash:

Last edited:

Constant bias, dynamic rails. Way less dissipation.
Cooling with heat pipes and hermetically sealed heat exchangers to transport the energy out of the interior, boats usually are surrounded by something wet.

(over 50', any decent boat here* has a main generator plus a stand-by, ~12kW + 5kW minimum, and 2000ah total batteries. At 86-90F, electricity consumption of the HVAC compressor is a bigger issue in the Carib. *If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much)

Last edited: