The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

can you pick me up

Not much point with a MM heading, he'd have to swap cartridge type first.
(next EDA, 11 weeks and counting)

Wishing all a Cinco Mayo heart attach, in particular the French.
(May 4th + 5th are official ww2 memorial days here. This year, various 'Parties' are in battle trenches again, about who should be remembered. The good ones, the good & the bad, or good & half bad. And then there's the Jewish organisation, with the view that only victims of the war should be honoured. Nuke the lot of them, I says)

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Lazy Dodo's

Attachments

• Dumbass - Darwin Award - Kitty Chewing on Wire.jpg
    Dumbass - Darwin Award - Kitty Chewing on Wire.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Happy Cinco de Mayo boys. Mexico and Canada share something. We both have had trouble with a French presence but the Mexican's seem to have dealt with it.

We celebrate by drinking something from the Margarita machine and eating something Mexican sounding that will cause a good dose of ring sting tomorrow.

The weather doesn't hurt either. First hot day of the year. 32º inland (which is to say, a long ways from the official weather station), in the shade of course. I can't even stand barefoot on the vinyl deck. I need another drink!

32ºC X 9/5+32= 90ºF for you Yanks.

I can't tell if that stands for

As an ex-navy bloke, you should know that it's the symbol for displacement of a ship.
(180 degree rotated, point facing down, it's the symbol for displaced volume. For salt water : Δ = 1.025 * ∇)

I decided to party Mex-y-Can style and blame the French, instead of May 5th liberation day from the Nazi's.
And I happen to like tequila, with lemon and salt.

(C times 1.8 + 32 is easier in head)

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Happy Cinco de Mayo boys. Mexico and Canada share something. We both have had trouble with a French presence but the Mexican's seem to have dealt with it.

We celebrate by drinking something from the Margarita machine and eating something Mexican sounding that will cause a good dose of ring sting tomorrow.

The weather doesn't hurt either. First hot day of the year. 32º inland (which is to say, a long ways from the official weather station), in the shade of course. I can't even stand barefoot on the vinyl deck. I need another drink!

32ºC X 9/5+32= 90ºF for you Yanks.

That only comes out to 89.6 degreez f..... or 305.15 Kelvin.....:cool:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
As an ex-navy bloke, you should know that it's the symbol for displacement of a ship.
(180 degree rotated, point facing down, it's the symbol for displaced volume. For salt water : Δ = 1.025 * ∇)

I decided to party Mex-y-Can style and blame the French, instead of May 5th liberation day from the Nazi's.
And I happen to like tequila, with lemon and salt.

(C times 1.8 + 32 is easier in head)

We never displaced our ships..... We did lose a couple of shipmates at the bar's tho..... :rolleyes:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Ya, I'll say. No one has any trouble figuring the 1.8 X something. How stupid of me.

Bonus dummy points for Cal.... :D:D:D

Minus dummy points for Jacco for having a brain....:eek:

No dummy points for ZM 'cause he iz passed out somewhere....

I wuz a gooooood boy today and did not bid on Lenco 75 on flea-bay. But it did go for only around $370 USD and that wuz very tempting.

My knuckles are raw from gnawing on themmmmmm.......:drool:

Pretty obvious example, but there are special classes on how to simplify calculus presentation at tech universities.
e.g. multiplying one part by 2, dividing the other by 2.
Take 45C to Fahrenheit, skull click speed is enhanced by : 90 * 0.9 + 32 makes 113F.
Add a few more tricks, and one does millimeter to decimal or reciprocal inch by head.

(Helps if one is a pathetic napkin scribbler, and travelled the road from slide rule to programmable calculator, from punch cards to making a time reservation for the Cray at the calculus center. Way back, I did my stastistics & chance exam with ten fingers, pen and a few sheets of paper, while fellow 1st year students punched function buttons on plastic. Brought them lower grades, not higher)

One fine day, I'll have to drill a countersunk hole in my head.

Last edited:
I must admit that math and numbers in general have always fascinated me and were not my weak spot in school. I am old enough that my intro to logarithms came from a slide rule and the first 4 function, 9V, LED calculator was well beyond my means at $75. I remember when punch cards became magnetic tape and to me, that was some kind of miracle. I remember firstly wondering what or where are these computer things going to fit in and then wondering how we are going to keep all the people busy when they take over.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Suddenly its "Brittsommar" here to (25 degrees, not Kelvin). Brittsommar is an expression that relies to if its warm when Britt (female name) has nameday, you can expect a strange following summer in weather. Thats old farmers practise calender stuff.

A food related thing. At my lunchcourt at work its usually stated on the menue where the food comes from. I like that. Not only that its interesting but also to know if it has travelled far etc. So today I had Chorizo from Vaggeryd. How about that Thomas:D

My son tho, on the other hand, he had cheap chicken grown in thai cages in school. Not that it was origin marked on the menue but I know where it comes from;)

So, what does that mean? Do we value our young differently then ourselves? Is he less worth then me so we can feed him crap? To keep taxes low we have to cut public expenses and feed our young crap? I dont get it.