zen v1 build problems????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fligti91 said:
here is my heat sink, how do you think ill be with this?
Photo15.jpg

That is not much for two channels. You are going to dissipate close to 300W of heat, if you stick to the 0R22, as in 3A bias.

I used something like 6 or 8 times that, and still I had it running at the wrong side of good.

Magura :)

ok so i powered it up with the pins soldered correctly. the 6 amp fuse blew right away. so i disabled one channel and the fuse didnt blow. and i checked for voltage at the drains and found 22v(half of the input). after letting it sit for a minute like that i came back to it and found the drains to be at the same as the input voltage 43v. this is driving me nuts! i obviously screwed up the mosfets wiring originally but now im thinking i blew them because of it???
you all have been a great help and have already shown me where i was wrong, please dont give up on me, lol.

fligti91 said:
ok so i powered it up with the pins soldered correctly. the 6 amp fuse blew right away. so i disabled one channel and the fuse didnt blow. and i checked for voltage at the drains and found 22v(half of the input). after letting it sit for a minute like that i came back to it and found the drains to be at the same as the input voltage 43v. this is driving me nuts! i obviously screwed up the mosfets wiring originally but now im thinking i blew them because of it???
you all have been a great help and have already shown me where i was wrong, please dont give up on me, lol.

I didn't give up on you, but we have a few hours time difference. :D

Does the voltage at the drains change at all when turning the potentiometer?

Usually when running mosfets this hard, you have little doubt if they're goners, but it's been seen that they die silently.

The easy solution (if you have the parts) is to replace the mosfets. The a bit more complicated solution, is to remove the mosfets from the circuit and test them.

Here is a guide: http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/mos.pdf

You can't reduce the voltage that much with an inductor, but the voltage is not really a problem. I usually play with stuff like this, pushed about as hard as you do here.

Just order some 0R33 and 0R22, and a bunch of mosfets, since you're going to build something more fun later anyways ;)
A few MPSA92 may also come in handy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.