F5 power amplifier - Page 92 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2008, 08:09 AM   #911
diyAudio Member

Default Hi!

What you mean, ISO or UTS?

Regards zeoN_Rider
Old 28th May 2008, 08:17 AM   #912
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Who cares.

Metric : M3
UTS : 6-32
Old 28th May 2008, 08:19 AM   #913
diyAudio Member

Default Hi!

I don't know which Standard is in Manila.

Regards zeoN_Rider
Old 28th May 2008, 08:22 AM   #914
diyAudio Member

thanks jacco !
Old 28th May 2008, 10:30 AM   #915
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jacco vermeulen
Who cares.

Metric : M3
UTS : 6-32
If you use the Fairchild devices a 6-32 screw is too big for the hole. I had to drill mine out (with no ill effects to the MOSFET).
Old 28th May 2008, 10:54 AM   #916
diyAudio Member

Default re; pcb

Goffe,
I see you have been busy with the changes and thinned up the pcb - assume those measurements say 3.9" x 1.5" which makes the fet mounting holes about 6" apart - to suit long heatsink - could easily move them around to the long side to suit shorter sink.
Variac suggested the moving the th1,2 closer to the power fet which seems a good idea and the pads plus resistor for that nice blue led is easily done.

Now, if you exchanged the positions of R19 with R21 (20 - 22), could then run the fat O/P track under R17 (14) and goirectly to the fet pad - saves going around the corner - bit simpler

If you were to move the H1 (2) closer to the o/p fets, suggest moving the R3 and R15 (TH2, R4, R16) with it and so can move the V+,V- towards "front" of pcb, use some resistors as per Variac for track-jumpers for the led pads (connector?)

Hope this is of assistance ... J
Old 28th May 2008, 11:02 AM   #917
FaTTy is offline FaTTy  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Can anyone compare sonic quality of F5 with JLH?
Old 28th May 2008, 01:03 PM   #918
diyAudio Member

Default Re: re; pcb

Quote:
Originally posted by jameshillj
Goffe,
I see you have been busy with the changes and thinned up the pcb - assume those measurements say 3.9" x 1.5" which makes the fet mounting holes about 6" apart - to suit long heatsink - could easily move them around to the long side to suit shorter sink.
Variac suggested the moving the th1,2 closer to the power fet which seems a good idea and the pads plus resistor for that nice blue led is easily done.

Now, if you exchanged the positions of R19 with R21 (20 - 22), could then run the fat O/P track under R17 (14) and goirectly to the fet pad - saves going around the corner - bit simpler

If you were to move the H1 (2) closer to the o/p fets, suggest moving the R3 and R15 (TH2, R4, R16) with it and so can move the V+,V- towards "front" of pcb, use some resistors as per Variac for track-jumpers for the led pads (connector?)

Hope this is of assistance ... J
You actually need a lower impedance ground path. R1 and R2 (10 ohms) pass a bit of current through R5..8 which are in parallel with the load (assume 8R).

It's always important to have the distance from the gate stopper to gate as short as possible.

I wouldn't get so hung up about having the JFET's as symmetrical as Goffe has shown. It will make things a bit simpler if the JFETs and Zetex devices are in a "kind of X' format.

When I get back from NYC this afternoon I am going to try various values for the JFET gate stopper. I think that the 1K may be a bit high.
Old 28th May 2008, 03:24 PM   #919
diyAudio Member

Hi Fatty,

The only way to find out is to build these two amps and compare/judge them to your listening comfort.
Old 28th May 2008, 03:32 PM   #920
miguel2 is offline miguel2  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Case

What are the external dimensions of the F5? I didn't find these at the site.

Hide this!Advertise here!