• dsc01924_back_view.jpg
    dsc01924_back_view.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 559
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
dviswa said:
Hi Guys,

Now that my plitron "Over Kill trafo" has pretty much turned into "kill trafo", I need to find other sources for a transformer.

Has anybody successfully used the Apex Jr Mercury Magnetics TA110-W? Which other trafos have you guys been using?

Thanks,
Dinesh

why not - if you use two of them , to have twice 40Vac

you can always ask AR2 which one from Apex he use

Apex Jr TA110-W transformer

dviswa said:
Hi Guys,

Now that my plitron "Over Kill trafo" has pretty much turned into "kill trafo", I need to find other sources for a transformer.

Has anybody successfully used the Apex Jr Mercury Magnetics TA110-W? Which other trafos have you guys been using?

Thanks,
Dinesh

I am going to use the MM TA110-Ws for my Pumpkin-Shunty AC power supply. Doing a quick hookup to check voltage, two MM TA110-Ws can be hooked up to supply a nominal 40V - 0 - 40V or 48V - 0 - 48V, the latter too much probably for all but the lowest of line voltages -- Japan perhaps @ 100VAC line.

The transformers appear to be good quality E-I core and should have no problem supplying the required current to a stereo pair of preamp-regulators. In typical DIY overkill fashion, I picked up 4 of the TA110-Ws so I can go dual-mono. :cool:

The price is certainly very right!

Steve Z

Re: Apex Jr TA110-W transformer

Zen Mod said:
why not - if you use two of them , to have twice 40Vac

you can always ask AR2 which one from Apex he use [/B]
Thanks, ZM. PM sent to AR2

zettelsm said:
I am going to use the MM TA110-Ws for my Pumpkin-Shunty AC power supply. Doing a quick hookup to check voltage, two MM TA110-Ws can be hooked up to supply a nominal 40V - 0 - 40V or 48V - 0 - 48V, the latter too much probably for all but the lowest of line voltages -- Japan perhaps @ 100VAC line.

The transformers appear to be good quality E-I core and should have no problem supplying the required current to a stereo pair of preamp-regulators. In typical DIY overkill fashion, I picked up 4 of the TA110-Ws so I can go dual-mono. :cool:

The price is certainly very right!

Steve Z [/B]

Steve,
Thanks. The price surely is right. I was planning on ignoring the 48V taps and use the 40V. Have you tried putting any load on them? Connect a 100W lamp maybe and see how they might perform. I might consider using 4 as well if I have enough space in the cabinet.

Regards,
Dinesh

Re: Re: Apex Jr TA110-W transformer

dviswa said:

Thanks, ZM. PM sent to AR2

Steve,
Thanks. The price surely is right. I was planning on ignoring the 48V taps and use the 40V. Have you tried putting any load on them? Connect a 100W lamp maybe and see how they might perform. I might consider using 4 as well if I have enough space in the cabinet.

Regards,
Dinesh

Hi Dinesh,

I have not checked out the load regulation of the trafos yet, but maybe tomorrow night a work I might have time to do so. Looking at the physical size and with my plan to use two per channel, I figured they would be well within their current capabilities and voltage droop loaded would not be a problem.

I plan on having the transformers and rectifiers in a separate box and bring only DC up to the preamp enclosure.

Steve Z

Re: Re: Re: Apex Jr TA110-W transformer

zettelsm said:
I have not checked out the load regulation of the trafos yet, but maybe tomorrow night a work I might have time to do so.
Please do.
zettelsm said:
I plan on having the transformers and rectifiers in a separate box and bring only DC up to the preamp enclosure.

Wow, 2 Box design huh? Worried about interference or simply no space in the cabinet? The rectifiers are on the Shunty board, just curios, what would you gain, by building a rectifier in the other box?

Re: Pumpkin volume control

zettelsm said:

So Mr. Steen, do I see potentiometers in place of the Twisted Pear stepped volume control and input-output boards?

Would you care to elaborate on the changes and effects on sound, if any? I would like to benefit from your experience and reasons for the changes. . .

Thanks!

Steve Z

Hi Steve. I had the Elma's lying around, and since I am building the Pumpkin into this other wooden box I decided to use hem. I didnt really feel like taking the twisted setup apart;) It took a long time to put it together, anyway. The main effect soundwise is the scratching noise with the Elma's:D. The Twisted attenuator is much better, and I will probably be using the Joshua/Darwin, with a pair of Shunty supplies and the UGS modules that will show up shortly ;)
:)

Re: Re: Pumpkin volume control

steenoe said:

Hi Steve. I had the Elma's lying around, and since I am building the Pumpkin into this other wooden box I decided to use hem. I didnt really feel like taking the twisted setup apart;) It took a long time to put it together, anyway. The main effect soundwise is the scratching noise with the Elma's:D. The Twisted attenuator is much better, and I will probably be using the Joshua/Darwin, with a pair of Shunty supplies and the UGS modules that will show up shortly ;)

Thank you very much for your reply -- I am relieved. I saw the slick Joshua/Darwin implementation you used and ordered enough stuff for a balanced set-up . . . imitation being the most sincere form of flattery. Well, other than money.

Pardon another question -- what are UGS modules? A URL is fine.

Thanks for your time.

Steve Z

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
spavleski said:

Magura - Temperature measured on Shunty Heatsink (midle of it in between the fins) after 2 hours is 50 Degree Celsius. At the same time Pumpkin Heatsink is 53 Degree Celsius.

Too much ?

:xeye:

:rofl:

crazy danske metal boy will tell ya that's too cool ........... knowing his habits of burning mosfets as popcorns in oil bucket ............

hehehe

btw - temp is exactly as prescribed ;)

Here is a temporaray pic of my Pumpie. The plexi-lid is really a nerve-wrecking piece of work!! Other than that, it goes as planned;)

Ballbearings in front are for extension rods. The rubber washers are for decoupling of the transformers!! Minor details, but important.

Attachments

• pumpkin.jpg
    pumpkin.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 561
As you can see on the previous pic, there are vent holes at the rear. I have made similar holes in the bottom plate (alu) But at the front! The plan is ; when the inner get hot, the convection will start going, pulling air out of the entire cabinet. Any ideas that you think could better my approach, is welcome! Here is a pic of the rearplate, it will get fairly packed....

BTW the earplugs are for when the Pumpkie starts singing:clown:

Attachments

• pumpie_rear.jpg
    pumpie_rear.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 557
Status
Not open for further replies.