Aleph J Schematic

Schultzsch,
If the budget can stand it, try replacing C3 (220uF electro) with a 40 - 60 uF film cap - it enhances the whole performance of the amp - even the humble K73-16 russian caps are good here - will have to mount them offboard and isolate the metal cases but not a real problem.

C2 has less effect but surprisingly, the small C4 is quite noticeable (I used 470uNichicon FG for C2 and 47uF Rifa peg128 for C4 with a 1uF K73 bipass)- a definite 'mix-n-match' exercise.

Interesting how well the active current source works, particularly at both small detail and higher power.

Dunno, I use DC protection cct and it has built in delay (mainly for the rail Cmx's to come up to voltage) - sorry, I can't be any use to you - perhaps best to just start small and see ....

I used the Rifa to suit the Fostex Fe167 speakers and in general, add a bit of "speed" to the amp - not the easiest caps to use - suggest start with a small Silmic - can easily change/upgrade (?) later.

Give you another one!

Look up the "a New Interconnect Design" thread here - (by Beau 2314, I think that's his numbers) - a diy version of those crazy priced battery biased interconnects.

You can get some of that fancy 0.5mm dia Mundorf Silver/gold wire from eBay (about $50 for 10 metres) for a rather analogue sound or that Ohno Pure Silver wire (with all the 9's -often marketed as Neotech but available w/out the insulation at reasonable prices) for a somewhat brighter, more mids sort of sound - detail without edge, unlike most silver ICs.
Oh yeah, try for better quality plugs/sockets/solder. Last pair I made used basic Lok plugs - about $9 each, if you look hard and patience - silver CMC sockets about the same.

All the best ...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
was asking because alweit is from Israel(2 weeks max shipping ) and spencer from Hong Kong(2 months shipping ) and I can't really wait that long now :D
I see that alweit sold 274 items, I hope they are original :worship:

I told you - buy locally J271 jfets ( observe - not 2S in front ! ) and use them

even if they have higher Idss , they're biased here with CCS , so no problem

xconductance will be adequate

and later - if you want , replace them with 2SJ74BL , but I doubt you'll hear significant difference

The bias drops at about 1.6A per fet after an hour or so, heatsink temp rises at 50C and junction temp at 82C
Rail voltage is +/- 23.6V
What would be the power output in 3.5 ohms?
Very nice sounding amp for the begining but a better impresion will be after burnin.How much does this takes?

Thank you all for your help and to specially you Papa for the schematic and hard work you did so we can enjoy the sound

Will be back with conclusions