Resistor Sound Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
jcarr said:
In the past, I have posted about nearly the same thing as you and Upupa Epops. Please see the following:

NFB resistor types vs. THD.

It gets even worse. I have a Wireless World article somewhere from the 50s describing a low-distortion audio oscillator design (possibly by Bailey) that specifically warns against using carbon resistors because of the distortion problem. And this is in a valve oscillator, mark you.

There are lots of ways in which real components can upset practical circuits, but the best way to improve something is to design it correctly in the first place. Circuit design is far more important.

EC8010 said:

It gets even worse. I have a Wireless World article somewhere from the 50s describing a low-distortion audio oscillator design (possibly by Bailey) that specifically warns against using carbon resistors because of the distortion problem. And this is in a valve oscillator, mark you.

There are lots of ways in which real components can upset practical circuits, but the best way to improve something is to design it correctly in the first place. Circuit design is far more important.

Carbon resistors can produce a lot of distortion when there is large voltage swing across them.Carbon composition resistors may go up to a few percent 2nd harmonic distortion in some cases.

Regards,
Lukas.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There are a few things that vary their characteristics with applied voltage. Just think of all those ceramic caps, transistors and tubes (valves).

Knowing something about your parts makes you a better designer, like an aircraft mechanic needs to know about his bolts and rivits.

I don't know why carbon resistors do this either. But they used to make microphones from carbon packed a little loose.

-Chris (old thread 'til Nixie found it! ;) )

Hi Diy-ers :)
Very interesting topic for sure. But nobody spoke about wirewound ones . These gave , in my opinion, better results in tube amps . I would ask what Vishay do you speak about ? SFERNICE ones (SFERNICE is now part of Vishay) ? imo the best for mf production . I found a 10000 parts stock for cheap and tried all the values i could use . In low signal (phono/mic preamps) these are killer and AB cc junk . Cheers

I am wondering if any of you, 'experts' know about 'excess noise'? Do you? What about carbon composition resistors, any ideas about 'excess noise'? Now, for pulse response with a bandwidth of 350 MHz or so, exess noise might not be too important, but the risetime of the resistor (1nS) would be VERY important. So much for the pulse measurers. Audio requires low distortion and low 'excess noise'. Many quality metal film, bulk metal, and wirewould resistors fit this model. Vishay bulk metal 'may' be overkill. Try and see.

No, nor is it particularly easy to find references. "Excess noise" and ENR appear to be applicable to a number of devices and contexts, making searches a bit of a pain. However, Benchmark of all places had this:

From: http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/appnotes-a/mmpnoise.html

The use of an carbon film resistor is usually ok, but the carbon composition resistor should never be used due to a phenomena known as "excess noise" found in these resistors. This noise is created by electrical currents having to jump over small but real physical spacing between the carbon particles which are held apart by the resistors binder material. These days, the discrete carbon comp resistor is almost unavailable. However, the thick film chip resistor and thick film resistor SIP or DIP packs are in fact carbon composition resistors and should be avoided.

Better references appreciated in advance.

Actually, this was well-known and extensively discussed in the tube world for decades. See, for example, the article I referenced earlier. The comprehensive book "Valve Amplifiers" discusses excess noise and modulation noise.

John, you gotta venture out of the Dark Side now and then and revisit the Cult of the Glowing.:D

SY said:
You might enjoy "The Sad Tale of a 1/2 Watt Resistor" that was reprinted in one of the "Audio Anthology" series.

1955-57! I was just a tadpole. Given the date is it safe to assume it deals exclusively with carbon comps? I'm curious if this behaviour is to varying degrees common to any resistor which doesn't use a metallic element. Tantalum and carbon film for example.

(Offtopic: While spending a few days visiting my folks I clipped all the worthwhile articles from my 15 years of 70's-80's vintage Audio mags in the garage. I'ld forgotten what a wonderful mag it was when Heyser was on staff.)

Tantalum is a metal and makes a great resistor. I measured its 'excess noise' with a Quantech noise analyser. It is as good as a typical metal film. I use tantalum film pots at the input of my ultra low noise phono inputs with great success. The equivalent noise of my input is 0.4nV/rt Hz or 10 ohms.

Rdf,

thanks for that reference you found and quoted. I think it gives a good idea of the problem with carbon comp. and unless one prefers to go deeper into the physics, I think it serves as an answer to my earlier question.

All,

While there has been many discussions about resistors and also about volume pots (and similar), I can't remember seeing any discussion about trim pots. The types usually available seems to be cermet and carbon (comp or film, I don't know). AFAIK cermet is more reliable and less noisy, but maybe there are other factors to consider too? Well, I can, of course, come up with one such factor immediately. The price. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.