Resistor Sound Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
agent.5 said:
But cars are ugly today.

If the purpose of cars it to look at them, you do not need to buy one, just walk around with a fishing tripod till you found one to look at.
Alloy wheels do make sense on cars, but not on a heavy duty truck. Same applies for billet or forged alloy wheels.

Its the purpose that determines whether a component is any good or better.
Those who start screaming brand religion like the electric dude who got the big boot bounce of this forum within a month are the guys that put a bling bling billet wheel on any vehicle.

Jonathan Carr called his craft an intellectual and engineering temptation on the previous thread on resistors, can not imagine him to taste resistors to find out the flavor.
Fact is that some components have a positive effect on sound quality in general, others in some positions.
Finding out where and why is much more interesting than talking colors and flavors.

If i desire to taste something i'll go to a restaurant, i do not invite the waiter over at my place to give me his taste buds description of the menu.

Well, did any of you guys build the same preamp 5 times with 5 different type's of resistors and give all of those preamps a thorough listen? I have my doubts on this subjects! To make any conclusions, you really have to make a serious comparison, dont you? Otherwise its just another HI-END kind of .... fill in the dots as you please;)

Steen:cool:

i read the article and the follow up post and am i very skeptical, i'm sure that cd player has a flat frequency responce, i'm thinking the engineers memory cannot retain the exact acoustical information from one listening test to the next. they used a cheaper op-amp, interesting. another thing one run of a hi-end cd player can't be the only thing that sustains the hi-end parts industry.

whoa, way to subjective for me. right after i get done moving i'm going to build a headphone amp, one of randy slones using an op-amp driving bjt's class-a. i'll do a test of carbon and metal-films if i can actually hear a difference i'll eat my hat.

Hi Chrisr,

if you have a good source, and good cans you should hear the difference between carbons and high end audio resistors.
Question is, will you take photos of you eating your hat for our amusement:nod:

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
don't get to excited, my hat is made of cheese!

You must be from Wisconsin. Packers fan?

Anyhoo, back to the parts (subjective/objective) debate. Personally, I use Mills non-inductive wirewounds when I can. I've had good results with them. They're less expensive than some, more expensive than others, but they're the best sounding ones I've tried, better than Allen Bradley and other types of carbon comps, various metal film and foils, etc... If I ever get around to building the SET amp that I'm going to (eventually) build, I'll probably try the Rikens and the AN tantalums. Why? Because I can and it's fun, and the job I go to every morning makes things like that possible.

That being said, the "objectivist" crowd that wants to reproduce things "perfectly" need to realize that not everyone wants to do that. Hell, a lot of the music that I listen to isn't of audiophile quality, and I'd much rather enjoy listening to the music that I like than something that just sounds good. I've known many masochistic audiophiles that have systems that are so brutally revealing of source flaws that they can only comfortably listen to a select few audiophile approved recordings. To me, that is the antithesis of what I'm in this hobby for, which is musical enjoyment. So, if someone wants to use Allen Bradley carbon comps or paper in oil caps because they smooth out the sound, far be it from me to criticize.

Oh, and as far as capacitors are concerned, I use polypropylene and foil orange drops that cost less than a buck each. Scandalous.

Reactions: 1 user
SY said:
Besides voltage coefficient of resistance
So which resistors have very low VCR? I keep seeing manufacturer PDFs that say things like "low VC" but no numbers. I've no idea how to chose.

Another thing: how do the Vishay bulk metal foil resistors compare to the AN tantalums? According to a Vishay document I read, the bulk metal foil are supposed to have lower noise than metal films.

Is it worth it going through my DAC and replacing Caddock MK132s and Roederstain MK3s with these Visays or ANs? Actually, I never even figured out why those Caddocks are so expensive, being only 1% tolerance and only 5% TC.

Status
Not open for further replies.